PDA

View Full Version : Article on Arca-Swiss

Marco Annaratone
19-Jun-2006, 01:58
I wrote a short article on a 4x5 and 8x10 Arca Swiss F-line for an Italian Web site on photography. There is not much around on the A-S, so I figured some of you may be interested in it.

You can enjoy learning Italian or read the English translation, your choice :-)

It's in http://www.fotoavventure.it/freecontent/arcaswiss_f/index.php

Emmanuel BIGLER
19-Jun-2006, 05:18
Marco
I like your article very much. And not only because I am an Arca-Swiss aficionado (how do you say : "aficionado" in Italian ?)
The view from over your balcony is in itself an incentive to large format landscape photography.
I really enjoy the bi-lingual presentation of the article.
Shame on me, my mother language is a Roman language, so it will force me to read Italian (thanks to the English text ;-)

Walter Calahan
19-Jun-2006, 06:39
In American-English we say and write "aficionado", but what word do they use in English-English?

When I lived in England, the English never use the word "tote bag". "Tote" is from the Senagal word "tota" meaning to carry. So to "tote" came from African slaves to the English colonies of the Americas, but not to England itself.

Funny how language is used. In the US, when referring to offices in a building, we give the "suite" number in an address. But when you speak to a French speaking Canadian, they never use the word "suite" when speaking English, but instead always give the "room" number in an address. This is only my observation that has been 100% so far. I'm sure there are Canadians who do say "suite' since I haven't spoken to 100% of all Canadians.

Grin

I love the duel language review. Very educational in two ways since I grew up in the town here in the US that was half Italian, but I never learned the language other than curse words.

I have an Arca-Swiss 5x4 too, but not as geared up as this one in the review. Love the camera.

Love the balcony view too. Can we all visit. Grin.

john collins
19-Jun-2006, 08:08
Marco,

Thanks for the English translation and extensive illustrations in your post. This is the first time that I have seen an 8x10 Arca F line conversion set-up, it is extremely interesting.

Jack Flesher
19-Jun-2006, 09:44
Great article Marco!

I should point out one item I recently discovered regarding the 'new' style Arca to Tech adapter boards -- like the one you show in your article. The flip-cam lever that holds the board in place works GREAT. Mounting and unmounting Tech boards are a piece of cake, lock is secure -- but only for #0 and #1 boards.

A #3 shutter places the outer perimeter of the shutter barrel very close to that cam lever and you cannot get your finger in the gap far enough to release the Tech board. Inserting the #3 is no issue, it snaps in just like a #0 or #1. But removal is a problem, so I now carry a supply of coffee stirrers to aid in removal of #3 mounted lenses. Personally, I would like to see a reversion to the old style slide lever.

I realize I could purchase full-sized Arca boards for my #3 shutters, but find the size somewhat problematic for field carry.

Cheers,

Brad Rippe
19-Jun-2006, 22:37
Marco, Thanks for the article. It's good to read some Italian! I worked in Sardinia in the late 80s on an archeology project for a summer. We did aerial photography with a tethered balloon!
My question is this: I have a newer Arca Swiss F-Line Field camera with 110 mm lensboards. Is there a conversion back and bellows from this size up to 8 by 10?
Thanks again,
Brad

Marco Annaratone
19-Jun-2006, 23:44
Thank you all for the kind words, I am trying to give back to the forum the very many things I learnt here over the years.

Brad, I do not think there are A-S conical bellows that take you all the way from a 110 front to an 8x10 back

Cheers!

Tom Westbrook
20-Jun-2006, 03:32
Thanks Marco. I found the parts about the 8x10 conversion particularly interesting. I didn't know about the rise extension accessory. People with the older 4x5 "Field" camera might also find that useful, since that configuration imposed similar limitations on rise. The 141cm rear frame fixes most of that problem.

Great photos, too.

There is no 8x10 to 6x9 (110mm) conical bellows. I spoke to the Arca people at the VC convention about the 8x10 conversion and asked that question. But if you have the "Field" 4x5 you can use the rear frame on the front to use the 8x10-4x5 conical bellows.