PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 4x5 long-bellows folding camera

Peter Collins
18-Jun-2006, 18:30
I have a Tachi and want to do close-up work requiring a longer-draw bellows--at least I think I need a longer-draw bellows--to use, for example, my 210 @ 1:1/near 1:1--than what the Tachi provides.

I like the folding camera (have also owned a Nagaoka and an Arca Swiss rail) and want to know what my options are: so far, I've thought of a Wisner Traditional as a possibilitiy. Am I overlooking other cameras? Am I overlooking something even more basic about lenses, close-up, etc.

In addition to the 210, I have an Ektar 127, which limits me to f22 and long exposures.

Thoughts and advice most welcome. Either in this thread or private email. Thanks!

Gregory Gomez
18-Jun-2006, 18:46
Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zone-VI-Classic-4x5-camera-kit_W0QQitemZ7628560053QQihZ017QQcategoryZ15247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I believe the Zone VI has about 22 inches of bellows draw.

Jon Wilson
18-Jun-2006, 19:03
I have the same problem....tachihara 4x5 owner who wants close-ups. Two or three thoughts.....Walker Titan 4x5 (expensive, but I believe it will work...missed out on one on ebay when the seller cancelled the auction early.....aaarrrrgghh). Second, look an older 4x5 or 5x7 which more bellows draw. I have a Korona 4x5 and 5x7s. Their bellows are long...at least 18+ inches. You do not have the tilt & swing, but a lot less money required to pick one up. My present approach is a Deardorf V8 with 30-36 inches of draw and a reducing back.

My close up lens which I am working with include a 150mm G-Claron, 180mm Nikkor-W f5.6, and yet to be used due to the short bellows on the tachihara are several other lens,e.g., g-claron, graphic-kowa, Germinar-W Docter, RD artars & nonRD artars.

I have posted a couple of pictures on my apug gallery of flowers w/ my 180mm Nikkor, 150mm g-claron, and 240mm Germinar-W (not as close as I want, but working there).
Jon

Oren Grad
18-Jun-2006, 19:23
There are several 4x5 folding camera models with ample bellows draw from Ebony and Canham.

Nick_3536
18-Jun-2006, 19:37
Most [all?] 5x7s with a 4x5 back.

Robert Skeoch
18-Jun-2006, 19:47
What if you shot the closeups with a shorter lens instead of the 210. Give it a try you'll be surprised and you wouldn't need as much bellows.
If you feel you do need the extra length, either the ebony's or canhams are great.
-Rob Skeoch

CXC
18-Jun-2006, 20:02
With my Walker Titan, I can focus a 450mm in to about 13 feet. When competing with Canham and Ebony, it is at the cheaper end of the price range. You won't go wrong with something from one of these three camera makers.

Ed K.
18-Jun-2006, 22:42
The good, the bad and the ugly. - Mostly, the good has been said.

Good but expensive - use the longer lens you want, get a new camera. The good but cheap, have an extention box built for your lensboard. As said, use a shorter lens - works great in most cases. And the ugly - use a diopter to help out a tad. Surprisingly good at times if it is achromatic ( at least get one that's a doublet instead of a single lens ) and very cheap plus small to play around with. If the diopter is pretty weak, image degradation is not noticeable, and it at least fits in your pocket. Hmmm, now what was the bad? Oh yeah, spending a bunch of money...

I did meet somebody selling a used folding Linhof Tech rail camera that looks like about 24+ inches draw for under 3 grand. Folds up nice yet works like a studio cam. Let me know and I'll send you his contact info. Super neato camera, but I couldn't afford the nearly 3 grand for it.

Brian Ellis
19-Jun-2006, 09:47
To use a 210mm lens at 1:1 you need a minimum of 420mm of bellows extension or about 17 inches. Field cameras that will extend that far include at least some models of Wisners, Canhams, Zone VI Studios, and Ebony (I think, I owned two but can't remember exactly how far they extended but I think it was more than 17 inches). I'm sure there are others that don't come immediately to mind. Popular field cameras that won't work include Wista, Tachihara (as you know), Shen Hao, Linhof Technika, the various Graflex/Graphic cameras, and probably any of the old wood field cameras such as Korona, Burke and James, et al. So you're kind of restricted to somewhat expensive newer cameras (though Zone VI and Wisner Traditionals can be bought for under $1000). Just curious - why not put a 150mm lens on your Tachihara to make a 1:1 close-up and crop the excess?

Dan Schmidt
19-Jun-2006, 10:14
You can also get a 5x7 or an 8x10 and use a reducing back. The larger format cameras will have much more bellows extension.

--oh i just noticed this has already been recommended

Dan Fromm
19-Jun-2006, 10:40
I'm with Rob. Unless you have another compelling reason to get another longer camera and the budget for it, you'll probably be better off buying a lens that will give the magnification you want on your Tachihara. But its your money ...

In the range 1:10 to 1:1, a decent enlarging lens or even a little process lens should do the job. Given today's prices, an ~ 100 mm enlarging lens for near 1:1 and a 150 mm process lens for farther out should be very affordable.

And perhaps its time for you to consider using flash illumination close up. Doesn't take much in the way of powerful flashes.

You asked "Am I overlooking something even more basic about lenses, close-up, etc." I don't know whether you are, but you might benefit from buying and reading Lester Lefkowitz' book The Manual of Closeup Photography before buying anything else. Available from used bookstores on-line through, e.g., abebooks.com, addall.com, amazon.com.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Bob Salomon
19-Jun-2006, 10:52
"Popular field cameras that won't work include Wista,"

Sure will if you add the Extension Bed and Bellows. Longest Extension Bellows for a Wista DX/DXII or Technical camera is 800mm.

Brian Ellis
19-Jun-2006, 13:33
"Popular field cameras that won't work include Wista,"

Sure will if you add the Extension Bed and Bellows. Longest Extension Bellows for a Wista DX/DXII or Technical camera is 800mm.

Well sure, almost any 4x5 field camera can probably be made to extend to 17 inches with sufficient modifications, addition of accessories, and work-arounds of one sort or another (not to mention money). But IIRC 4x5 wood Wistas in standard configuration have only 12 inches of bellows extension, far less than needed for 1:1 magnification with a 210mm lens. BTW, just out of curiosity - how much does that 800mm Extension Bed and Bellows cost?

Bob Salomon
19-Jun-2006, 13:43
There are several extension beds and sets but the one that may be of most interest to the OP is the set for the DX and Tachihara.

It is available in 2 lengths; 300mm bed and 460mm bed at $186.00 and $259.00. The extension bellows for these beds are 300mm and 600mm long and are $392.00 and $525.00 list. of course camera stores discount from these prices.

Jeffrey Sipress
19-Jun-2006, 14:21
I sold my 210 macro lens for a Nikon 120 AM*ED macro. I prefer the perspective of being closer to the subject, and it is within a 'normal' range of use.

David A. Goldfarb
19-Jun-2006, 16:07
A Technika III or later has 17.5" of bellows draw with the back extended. If you need even more you can add a top-hat style extension lensboard, like the Wista.

Steve Barber
21-Jun-2006, 09:13
For a few dollars more, put your Tachihara(sp) up for sale on eBay and bid on one of the 4x5 Wisners that are coming up. The Technical will go out to 23 inches and the others will go to 20.5 inches. We may all end up with some expensive kindling, but I am amazed at the prices the Wisners are bringing lately. Relatively speaking, for wood field cameras, they have to be the most bang for the buck available today.

Steve Feldman
21-Jun-2006, 10:15
A B & J 5x7/4x5 has about 23" of extension with the add on rails. For about $150-200 it may be worth considering.

John Kasaian
21-Jun-2006, 16:59
Just pop that 127mm Ektar on that puppy and let 'er rip! ;-)