PDA

View Full Version : Stockholm Sweden July 26-Aug 31, 2006

Tedd
18-Jun-2006, 14:06
Might as well make it a new thread.

It started kind of loose in the thread " Hands up if you have anything to do with Sweden".

Kind of an last minute fun gathering. It has been in the works for a while but has been changed to a closer date due to scheduling conflicts here on my end.

George from Luxemborg will be flying in the eveing of the 25th to Bromma and flying out the evening of the 1st of August. Bromma is one of many airports in the Stockholm area and the closest. Other alternatives are Arlanda (the main international airport), Västerås and Norrköping. The later two are about 1,5 to 2 hrs by bus to Sthlm.

I will put together a list of hotels and prices later this week. I will post one or two for being intown and the two closest to my studio. It all depends upon your budgets.

What we do and what people want to shoot is still kind of open. If I get concrete decisions from everyone on what you are interested in shooting I will put together a more finalized location shoot list.

Some areas of interest might be Sthlms architecture, nature, the archipelago and studio work should anyone be interested. Otherwise my daylight studio ( www.studio20m.com ) will be available for those whom want to develop by hand or should you have materials for Pt/Pd use my 5000W plateburner. I still haven't used it and am waiting for someone to show me the ropes. Flashes, Tungsten and HMI lighting is no problem either.

The bigger the cameras the better as we really want to put the new 20x24 color enlarger to the test! The photolabs owner will be around for anyone whom wants to develope film and or make some MONSTER prints.

George hopes to bring a 20x24 neg so we can play! http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Any takers?

Best Regards

Tedd

Patrik Roseen
20-Jun-2006, 14:24
Hi Tedd,
I'm looking forward to this gathering and hope to be there for atleast a few days (...need to make sure my kids have some fun too...)

I shoot 4x5" and would like to try to enlarge really big and I will bring some 25 sheets of Varycon KG Fiber 50x60cm. Hopefully I have my Pontiac Trans Sport back from service so Í could have some LFPs riding in my car...well we'll see.

Will do what it takes to be there,
Patrik Roseen

Tedd
20-Jun-2006, 14:30
Great!
I am cleaning up the darkroom here at the studio so she will be ready to
Rock and Roll!

Tedd

Joakim Ahnfelt
21-Jun-2006, 02:41
Hi Tedd
Just to let you that I'll be trying to come for a couple of days. I can't give an definitive yes at the moment but I'm working on it. Will let you know later in the week.
I know this is not going to help but I really don't know what I would like to shoot. But on the other hand, where ever you go there's always interresting details to be found if the light is right. So basicly I'm up for anything.
What kind of costs would there be for using the studio, lab etc?

/Joakim

Tedd
21-Jun-2006, 02:53
Will be great to finally meet you Joakim. Hope you can come for as many days as possible!

As far as costs for using my studio and my lab. I will not charge anything. I'll even buy the cinnamon rolls and the coffee is already loaded and ready to go!

We will be able to hang out at the lab where I have the 20x24 color enlarger as well. The owner Lars will be there and I am checking to see what kind of discount he can give us.

So bring your largest negs!

Mikael Hofverberg
21-Jun-2006, 23:19
Hi Ted also looking forward for the gathering, but I have check the family calender before I can be more precise on date.

Mikael

Tedd
21-Jun-2006, 23:28
GREAT! Good that you are already in Sthlm. Might be easier to slip away.

I would appreciate it if everyone could email me there contact info so that I can call
you and discuss some final details and even mail you my contact info.

Tedd

Tedd
23-Jun-2006, 00:36
Hello everyone!

Still working hotels and prices. I am waiting on the bosses for the two following hotels to get back to me. Hopefully monday as they have been on vacation. You can however see their normal pricing on their websites.

The first is the closet to the studio and a little bit further from the subway but still easy to get into town. It is a 5 minute walk to the studio. See the map.
http://www.worldofhotels.com/18147.html
http://soost.com/map.jpg

The second hotel is Flyghotellet. A little cheaper, next to the subway but longer to the studio. A single room for 400 kronor with breakfast and 600 kronor for a double with breakfast.
http://www.flyghotellet.se/

Public transportation in the area is very good from early to late in the evening.
20 Swedish kronor will get you around for 1 hour and is good for subway, bus, regular train and tram.

Like I said I hope to get a discount for us from one of the two if not both.

Other accomodations and info are available here:
http://www.stockholmtown.com/

Regards

Tedd

Joakim Ahnfelt
27-Jun-2006, 13:57
Hi Tedd and everyone else
I've booked a flight to Stockholm on the 25 july and back again on the 30. I've booked (still waiting for confirmation) a room at STF Fridhemsplan, a hostel. It's 435 SEk a night for a single room. If you Tedd can get a better price some where else as you mentioned or if some one wants to share a room somewhere I'm up for it. I can always cancel.
The thing is. I'm leaving for two weeks in Italy the day after tomorrow, june 29 so i can't reply here until July 17.
Hope everything gets sorted. I'm really looking foreward to this.

Cheers
Joakim

Tedd
28-Jun-2006, 12:47
Hi Joakim.
Sorry for getting back to you solate. I have been SWAMPED with work.
Flyghotellet has a single room for 400kr and 600kr for a double.
There is a guy gtom Gothenburg by the name of Johannes whom is trying to come up as well. However George from Luxumborg will be here the same time so maybe you guys can team up? George? Is this ok?

George can you post your latest email to me here with your ideas?

Tedd

George W.
28-Jun-2006, 14:42
Hello Tedd and the group,

-you had been looking for LF activities in Stockholm

Cibachrome/Ilfochrome:
I think this stuff is still available. I guess that your lab would have this in stock, and also processing it. If so, it might be possible to use your 12x20" to directly photograph on Ilfochrome. The challenge would be to test the correct sensitivity, as well as required gel colour correction filters.
This would be most interesting if the lab would have a dry to to dry processing machine, which would allow small photo patches to be quickly developped to find the required values. For testing 4x5" patches might be large enough, in order to save paper. I imagine the result would be quite impressive.

Enlarging tests:
What I always wanted to do, but never had time: Photograph the same subject with different negative sizes, and enlarge them all to 50x60cm
24x36mm 6x6 6x7 6x9 4x5" 8x10" 11x14" 20x24" (same film,same developer).
Must be pritty cool to hang them side by side.
From previous tests I would guess that there is little improvement going beyond 4x5".

Platine Palladium:
I never was really interested in PtPd alternate process, as all this distract IMHO from taking good pictures, and finally it is more the form than the contents that makes the image. But if there would be an expert present, I would be interested to see how this technique works.

...all above ideas need some preparation in advance, and possibly
...ordering material in advance
...so better think about it now

HOTEL:
As only one Hotel (Flyghotellet) is given with an updated price, I will take a single room there for my stay. Would be pleased if others would also stay there.

greetings,
George
...28jun2006 23:40

27 DAYS LEFT UNTIL TUESDAY 25-JUL-2006....

Tedd
28-Jun-2006, 14:51
Bring your transparencies! The lab does lots and lots of Ciba/Ilfochrome printing.

You are on to my train of thought George. I am working on finding a good enclosed trailer to build a monster camera for doing direct prints with me 42" MONSTER lens I bought from Dagor77 and Ilfochrome paper. Maybe we can play around with this during the gathering?

Tedd

George W.
29-Jun-2006, 11:08
Hi Tedd,

If you really want to test your lens, lets do it.
I have in my deep freezer a fresh 10m roll of Orthofilm, 0.5m wide.
If you take care of the printing side, I would bring the roll along to Stockholm. The sensitivity is ISO25, with very high line resolution. You can double your image diameter by using it at 1:1 or greater, just calculate the image diagonal, and cut the film to the required length. Contact print the final image.
Temporarily replace a studio door with a wood panel containing your lens, or make a temporary light tight tent :cool: :D

Other points for the gathering:

-What sheetfilms are available in Stockholm 4x5/8x10 color or
b+w? Fuji Quickloads?
-I do not plan to rent a car in Stockholm, so if somebody has left
some place in his car, I would readily accept this opportunity.
-Anybody wanting to trade LF gear? (I am currently looking for a
3.5" Packard shutter.)

greetings,
George
...29-jun-2006 20:05

26 DAYS LEFT UNTIL TUESDAY 25-JUL-2006....

Tedd
10-Jul-2006, 06:24
Hello Boys!

I will be making a larger post tomorrow as I just got back from vacation.
I have booked some rooms and need a final roll call of those whom will be attending.

Later!

Tedd

Morten
13-Jul-2006, 07:47
Tedd, Gents!

Can't confirm (yet), but will still try to make it!

Best regards
Morten

Joakim Ahnfelt
17-Jul-2006, 06:42
I'm back from Italy and ready to sort out the details.
Joakim

Tedd
17-Jul-2006, 14:10
Unfortunately it seems as though some people have bailed and aren't even getting back to me as to whether or not they are coming.... No problem. I imagine things have come up and that quite a few are on vacation.

We are so far the following:

Tedd-Sweden
Joakim-Sweden
George-Luxumburg
Patrik-Sweden
Mikael-Sweden
Morten-Norway Coming around the 26th/27th hopefully.
Frankie-Sweden Coming later hopefully if he gets back from Hungary in time.
OF COURSE YOU ARE COMING FRANKIE!
Waiting on Johannes and Struan from Sweden and maybe Trond from Norway...

The game plan is loose but interesting!

Trip to the outermost and weather biten archipelago full of rocks, water, seals, lighthouses and mohoganny boats! George is bringing a 10x,5 meter roll of film! We shall be builing a VERY big camera to test the 42" 1050mm MONSTER lens I bought from Dagor77. Then of course we will be at the lab playing with the 20x24 color enlarger and also developing with nightvision at the studio. Joakim as Pt/Pd experience and I am working on getting the necessary material so we can use the new 5000W UV plateburner at the studio, which I havebeen given but never used...

There will also most likely be some wondering around Sthlm city to shoot and take a beer or five.

Anything else anyone is interested in doing or shooting?

AHHHH!

One more thing! The National Museum is showing Greta Garbos private collection of portraits of herself!
Being the timeframe she lived and worked they were surely shoot 8x10 and 11x14! Any takers! Surely some wonderful Hurrells and Bulls?!

Tedd

Tedd
20-Jul-2006, 13:05
Ok boys!

An order of ingredients for Pt/Pd are on their way from Bostick and Sullivan. Yipee!

Tedd
23-Jul-2006, 09:51
Some last minute stuff boys!

Bring sheets and a pillow case for the youth hostel for when we head out into the archipelago.
I am not sure whether or not they have some for an extra cost. I will hopefully get ahold of a real person tomorrow.

The week seems to be shaping up like this:

Monday: Joakim and George arrive in Sthlm and we hang-out at the studio during the evening and make some good food and drink cold beer. We will discuss the final plans for our trip out into the archipelago.

Tuesday: We will be at the studio to pack and organize for the archipelago. We will also be turning the office into a large camera by mounting a 42" lens in the doorway. This will be used for exposing Georges roll of ortho film! This exposure will later be used to put the 20x24 enlarger to the ultimate ULF format test on Friday.

Wednesday: Head out sometime EARLY to head to, most likely, Fjärdlång island in the archipelago.
I have reserved two rooms for 5 people for Wednesday night to Thursday. There is also a little store here here we can buy groceries. I thought we could buy some good stuff to later find a nice spot along the water to grill, take a dip, drink some pilsner, eat, drink some pilsner and just plain relax in the wonderful archipelago!

Thursday: Up early to take a taxi boat to Huvudskär island. The regular boat would get us there too late to enjoy a full day before the regular boat comes at 4 pm to take us back to the mainland. (There is only one regular boat to and from Huvudskär everyday). Unless someone wishes to continue on their own...

Thursday night I imagine we would be back at the studio around 6/6:30pm. We will most likely be pretty beat. Suggest a favorite place near the studio for dinner. Should anyone want to crash early this is fine too.

Friday: To the lab to meet "Uffe" the ULF color enlarger and Lasse Trädgårdh the owner of the lab.
We will be able to develop film here in the machines if you would like and play with the BIG negs will did on tuesday. Friday eveing an excursion into Sthlms old town for some picture taking or just turist stuff and dinner.

Saturday-Monday: Up to everyone else. Developing at the studio? Studio shoot? Joakim will also be showing how to do Platinum and Palladium. Or maybe out on your own to find your own adventures?

Questions? Suggestions?

Tedd
23-Jul-2006, 10:01
As Homer has said more than once.... DOH!

My bad! I mixed up the arrival dates for both George and Joakim.
Monday and Tuesday will combined into Tuesday....

Ole Tjugen
23-Jul-2006, 13:51
Still can't make it...

My life keeps getting interrupted by work.

Bad habit, I know...

Tedd
23-Jul-2006, 13:58
Sorry to here that Ole.
I hope to try to live up to your standard of "LF Gathering Host".
Might be good if you aren't here incase I fail. ;0)

Tedd