PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid T-54 Film

Paul Mongillo
20-Jan-2000, 19:34
I have been using Polaroid T-54 for test shots for about a year now. Its conven ient because it needs no coating and the 100 speed is close to my 80 ISO for T-m ax. Occasionally I want to give the Polaroid to someone. However, about 75% of the time part of the emulsion tears away when I do the initial separation or la ter when I pull the border off. It doesn't seem to matter if its hot or cold or dry or wet. Any suggestions? This doesn't seem to be a problem with the 400 sp eed film I occasionally use that NEEDS coating.

Tony Brent
21-Jan-2000, 00:30
I havent used type 54, but I shoot a lot of type 56, type 72 and type 79. I find the type 72 (coaterless B&W) can be handled almost immediately without harm. the 56 (Sepia) and 79 (color) are much more delicate until they have hardened and dried completely. In the case of the color film, it takes almost 5 minutes depending on humidity before it has dried hard. During that time both are very easy to scratch and dig into the enulsion. I have never had the emulsion tear when I separate the print from the neg. I have had some gummy crumbs stick to the emulsion, but they usually rub off easily with a dry fingertip without harm. I am not sure how you are handling your films, but you want to peel in one motion and not let the surface touch anything while it dries. Polaroid might be able to help you further. Their pro department has been helpful to me in the past.