PDA

View Full Version : Thus speaks Chuang Tsu

Hugo Zhang
17-Jun-2006, 09:58
Do not seek fame. Do not make plans. Do not be absorbed by activities. Do not think that you know. Be aware of all that is and dwell in the infinite. Wander where there is no path. Be all that heaven gave you, but act as though you have received nothing. Be empty, that is all.
The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.

Ralph Barker
17-Jun-2006, 11:06
Interesting thoughts. Does that mean we're supposed to shoot with empty holders?

Bruce Watson
17-Jun-2006, 11:33
Interesting thoughts. Does that mean we're supposed to shoot with empty holders?
Been there, done that. Not nearly as exciting as you might think ;-)

Capocheny
17-Jun-2006, 12:18
No expectations... no disappointments!

Or, how about, "Luminous objects need not shine light upon itself?" :)

YIKES.... time for a double dry macchiatto!

Cheers

Hugo Zhang
17-Jun-2006, 14:28
"Does that mean we're supposed to shoot with empty holders?"

I did more than that. I had not made a singel exposure with my Deardorff for three years until two months ago. I read and I swim my years away. I had to go back to this forum to make sure I loaded my films the right way. What surprised me was how much my pictures have been improved when I looked at them! Compositions and the way I used the light.

The perfect man is the artist. To empty yourself in order to absorb the world. To use Rilke's words: "For the sake of a single poem, you must see many cities, many people and many Things, you must understand animals, must feel how birds fly, and know the gesture which small flowers make when they open in the morning."

For me, taking pictures with a LF camera is more a way to discover the world around me than fine prints on the walls. Though I can't deny the excitement and sense of accomplishment caused by that exquisite contact print in my trembling hands. It shouted loudly at me: I am your creation and you have given me a life beyond my natural life!

Without the help of the ground glass of my Deardorff, I could not fully enjoy the following lines from Rilke:

"Why, if this interval of being can be spent serenely
in the form of a laurel, slightly darker than all
other green, with tiny waves on th edges
of every leaf (like the smile of a breeze)--; why then
have to be human--and, escaping from fate,
keep longing for fate?..."

Brian Vuillemenot
17-Jun-2006, 22:06
"One must empty one's cup, before it may be filled."

400d
18-Jun-2006, 04:51
How about a lil. Bruce Lee's?

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Paul Coppin
18-Jun-2006, 06:29
What surprised me was how much my pictures have been improved when I looked at them!

That may simply mean you've lowered your expectations, not raised your competence. :)

Do not look too deeply into the mirror of the soul, you may not be able to tolerate what looks back at you.

Paul Fitzgerald
18-Jun-2006, 09:55
Hugo,

"Do not seek fame. Do not make plans. Do not be absorbed by activities. Do not think that you know. Be aware of all that is and dwell in the infinite. Wander where there is no path. Be all that heaven gave you, but act as though you have received nothing. Be empty, that is all."

Wouldn't it be easier to just throw out the TV and never watch it again?

"What surprised me was how much my pictures have been improved when I looked at them! Compositions and the way I used the light."

Still some work to do, there's that word "I" again. Losing the 'ego', dispensing with 'self' to become a 'witness' may be wonderful with landscape or still-life but I don't think it would work too well with portraits, where person-to-person interaction is more important than photo skills.

"Do not seek fame. Do not make plans. Do not be absorbed by activities. Do not think that you know. Be aware of all that is and dwell in the infinite. Wander where there is no path. Be all that heaven gave you, but act as though you have received nothing. Be empty, that is all."

Actually, come to think about it, there will be plenty of time for 'absolutely nothing' in the grave, I think I'll wait.

Thanks for the thread.

Hugo Zhang
18-Jun-2006, 11:35
Paul,

"Wouldn't it be easier to just throw out the TV and never watch it again?"

I don't watch TV, but allow my kids to watch some.

"but I don't think it would work too well with portraits, where person-to-person interaction is more important than photo skills."

I actually imagine myself into the person whom I take picture. Sound stupid, but I do that. There is no person-to-person interaction for me. I am the silent observer and recorder of a glorious moment of a person's life. I am merely a mirror.

"Absolutely nothing" in this world is more enjoyable than that of a grave from which nobody has returned to tell us what the difference is.

cblurton
19-Jun-2006, 07:43
Or Paul, perhaps, "When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~Friedrich Nietzche

bshaffer
19-Jun-2006, 16:15
I actually did not read "absolutely nothing" in hugo's post -but it seems there is no absolute in " nothing " -it is only nothing.
hugo -you can't read and swim your years away... they are your years and you can do with them as you wish --it is your journey. the opinions of others are only the opinons of others .I'm glad you have found a vehicle for expression again in film - we all live there on this site .
we both know.. that we know nothing and in that , it opens the world --those that believe they have answers are restricted in their beliefs and constraints of those beliefs .
when you take pic's -you are truly present in the moment -and that is what life and the ground glass is truly about . all photographers must be in the moment ... they can't be in the past or the future ---sorta grounds us all... to the sanctity of the moment .
and ..some are not ready to be there .... best to you in your new vision of light..
barry

Hugo Zhang
22-Jun-2006, 21:06
"when you take pic's -you are truly present in the moment -and that is what life and the ground glass is truly about . all photographers must be in the moment ... they can't be in the past or the future ---sorta grounds us all... to the sanctity of the moment ."

Barry, very well said.