PDA

View Full Version : Yet another bellows question

clay harmon
16-Jun-2006, 08:10
Just so I don't get scolded, yes, I am aware of the major bellows manufacturer's": Camera Bellows in the UK, Western Bellows, and the place in Rochester whose name escapes me right now.

But my question is this: Is anyone aware of someone who is currently making custom LEATHER bellows for cameras? All of the companies listed above make bellows from synthetic materials - which are very nice, of course. But I have this older camera that I am restoring that would absolutely look great with real leather bellows, and I was wondering if there is a good source for these any more. I realize that I could try to make my own, but that looks like a pretty daunting task for someone who has never done it before.

Thanks!

Oren Grad
16-Jun-2006, 08:25
Clay, have you checked with Camera Bellows? Last time I was in touch with them a couple of years ago, they offered leather as an option for at least some sizes. They still list it as a possibility on their on-line inquiry form.

clay harmon
16-Jun-2006, 08:44
I will check with them again. When I briefly corresponded with them a few weeks ago, I came away with the impresssion that they could not do leather in bellows of this size. I will check again to be sure.

Oren Grad
16-Jun-2006, 08:57
When I briefly corresponded with them a few weeks ago, I came away with the impresssion that they could not do leather in bellows of this size. I will check again to be sure.

That may be the case. I think it's been their routine practice to recommend against leather for large bellows because it's too heavy, too unwieldy, etc. But it's probably worth probing to get a definitive statement from them as to whether the problem is that they just don't like to make big ones - maybe because customers were often unhappy with them - or that they actually can't do it.

Oren Grad
16-Jun-2006, 09:06
If that fails, maybe a place that repairs accordions (http://www.squeezeboxrepair.com/product.html) can do it?

Oren Grad
16-Jun-2006, 09:22
Or maybe you need to go to India (http://www.bellowsindia.com/products.htm)?