PDA

View Full Version : SF in August?

Hugo Zhang
15-Jun-2006, 21:04
Hi,

I will be in San Francisco in early August to compete in FINA World Masters Championship for a week. That's official excuse for the trip. The real reason that can't be spoken is some solitude with my Deardorff. I have booked a campside in Half Moon Bay (what a melodious name!). I am quite familiar with the Big Sur and Monteray bay area, but not quite around SF. Besides foggy mornings and misty sea, any other subjects longing for my Deardorff? I will have two free days between events and I don't mind driving for an hour.

Thanks.

Nitish Kanabar
15-Jun-2006, 21:45
Hi,

I will be in San Francisco in early August to compete in FINA World Masters Championship for a week. That's official excuse for the trip. The real reason that can't be spoken is some solitude with my Deardorff. I have booked a campside in Half Moon Bay (what a melodious name!). I am quite familiar with the Big Sur and Monteray bay area, but not quite around SF. Besides foggy mornings and misty sea, any other subjects longing for my Deardorff? I will have two free days between events and I don't mind driving for an hour.

Thanks.

About 15 minutes south of Half-Moon bay is the Pigeon Point light-house and hostel. Good for sunset photography.

A further 30 minutes south lies Santa Cruz - with another lighthouse.

Between these lies the Ano Nuevo Reserve - where you can get to see and photograph elephant seals (seasonal and on a ranger-guided tour). Look up their website.

Just north of Santa Cruz is the Natural Bridges state park.

There are many beaches and ocean view points on Highway 1.

Within San Francisco, you'd want to try the Golden Gate Bridge and Palace of Fine Arts.

Brian Vuillemenot
15-Jun-2006, 22:21
I recommend the Marin Headlands in the Golden Gate rec area just over the bridge. Be sure to pull off at the overlook on your way there for some great, albeit touristy, shots of the GG bridge and city skyline. There are lots of architecture shots in the city, if you're into that sort of thing. Headed south on Highway 1, there are quite a few good scenic beaches in San Mateo county, including San Gregorio, Pescadero, and Bean Hollow- much closer than Big Sur. Of course, Big Sur is awesome, also, if you want to drive for a few hours. In Marin County is Point Reyes National Seashore, which has quite a bit of possibilities, although they're not quite as accessable as Big Sur. There's also Muir Woods if you want to shoot redwoods- just get there early, as the parking lot fills up quick!

Darin Boville
15-Jun-2006, 23:07
Hi Hugo,

I live on the coast, just north of Half Moon Bay.

There are plenty of places to photograph here, depending on your tastes. First I should mention that getting to San Francisco (and thus to Marin county to the North) is not impossible right now but it is a long drive--the usual road (Highway 1) is closed due to a landslide--they hope to open it in a few months. You have to go all the way around now. Expect two hours to get to Marin, worse during rush hour. It used to be 45 minutes.

In addition to those places already mentioned there are many cool places right around HMB (Half Moon Bay).

You might have a look at Fitzgerald Marine Preserve, just a few minutes north of HMB in Moss Beach. Great tidepools, rocky shores, seals, sea stars, etc. http://www.fitzgeraldreserve.org/

Lot sof beaches. Maybe drive north to my beach (Montara Beach, eight miles north of HMB) and then turn around and go south, stopping at beaches as you see fit, all the way to Santa Cruz (45 minutes, nonstop). Lots of fun. The fee is $6 for parking but one fee should cover you for the full day.

Lots of preserves to explore. Check out http://www.openspace.org/ and http://www.openspacetrust.org/ for a sampling.

If you like harbors there's a nice one at El Grenada, immediately north of HMB.

You could spend months here, if you really tried...so much, in fact (I'm having fantasies of opening a photo gallery here) that I'm considering setting up workshops in the area--I'd love to know how you like the area after your trip.

--Darin

John Kasaian
16-Jun-2006, 00:16
SF in August is overrun with tourists :-(

That said:
The Golden Gate National Recreation Area has plenty of opportunities and Mt Tamalpias certainly has "The View"---just get there before the tourists do.

You might also consider heading North on 101 to the Redwoods or Bodega Bay and Bolinas if nature is what you're after.

For historical interest (heavy on rust) you could visit Mare Island Naval Shipyard---call the Mare Island Historical Society and tell them what you're after so your guide will know to be patient! Its really a delightful place and endangered by urban sprawl. See it while you can.

In the Summer you can actually camp out on Angel Island. If you're camping out and have your gear anyway you might want to look into this option---check the ferry schedules.

Louie Powell
16-Jun-2006, 05:53
Hugo -

You've got a lot of great suggestions. Here are a few more:

1. The old coastal fortifications at Marin Headlands are fascinating. Check out Kerik's site for examples of what is there.

2. If you haven't been there, Alcatraz is a fabulous experience. I suggest planning far ahead - you can book a reservation for the boat over the internet to assure a place when you want to go. Otherwise, the lines are very long. And if you are taking a big camera, I suggest going early in the morning - the crowds are much larger in the afternoon.

3. Golden Gate Park is very nice, and a must-see there is the Japanese Garden. But a well-kept secret is that there is another Japanese Garden in San Mateo. Take the Westbound 3rd Avenue exit off 101. The garden is at the corner of Laurel and Fifth.

4. Sutro Baths at Lands End - at the very end of Geary Boulevard.

5. Lick Observatory. This is a bit of a hike - a 20 mile drive up a very narrow and winding two-lane road (max speed is 20mph) - but it's dramatic once you get there. East side of San Jose.

Scott Davis
16-Jun-2006, 08:01
The Sutro Baths are neat, and if you park there, and take the headlands trail along the cliffs back toward downtown San Francisco, there are a number of spots where you can get down to the "beach" and get some great rocks-in-the-surf shots. If you cross the GG Bridge and get off at the Marin Headlands, go early in the morning (so you can find a parking spot by the first fortification on the left, going uphill - you can't miss it, as there are usually a lot of cars there, and you'll have an awe-inspiring view of the Bridge), then hike down the path that leads to the cliff base (it is closed to vehicle traffic by a big cable across the path) and the black sand beach at the bottom.

Hugo Zhang
16-Jun-2006, 11:24
Big smiles spread on my face as I read the replies. It seems that I do need a few weeks to go to all the places mentioned by you all. Future trips are needed. I have 20 holders and I will buy some more just for this one.

Thanks, everyone!

Darin Boville
16-Jun-2006, 12:25
Just a reminder to not forget what I said about Devils Slide being closed (the direct route from HMB to San Francisco and points north, on Highway 1, just north of Montara). Check out a map: you'll need to go intsead east on 92, then north on either 280 or 101, depending on your destination. Not all that far in miles but remember we're all going down the same road now, too--Heading eastbound in the morning rush hour can be very tough, heading back in the evening rush hour is also tough. Otherwise o.k.

Figure an hour and a half to two hours to SF with traffic (but it varies unpredicatbly from day to day, hour to hour). 50 minutes at night with no traffic.

--Darin

Scott Davis
16-Jun-2006, 12:38
You can never take enough photos of San Francisco and its surroundings. If you have several hours for driving, go over the Oakland Bay Bridge, head out through the tunnel and into the Sacramento River Delta country. You'll feel like you stepped into a totally different world, with flat plains for miles, then elevated dikes holding back irrigation canals. There's the old Chinese town of Locke ( http://www.locketown.com/ ). A bit farther on is gold rush country... Sutter Creek, Drytown and Volcano to name a few of the neat little towns in the area.