PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Holder Leaks on the Flap Side

G Benaim
15-Jun-2006, 04:25
Hello All,

Having gotten a bunch of holders w my camera, I tested them for light leaks w paper and most of the wooden ones leak from the loading flap side, none from the darkslide side. One has torn tape holding the flap, but the others have intact tape. What's the best way to fix these leaks? Do they usually have to do w wood that doesn't fit together right after all these years, or is it usually tape-related? All help appreciated,

GB

Louie Powell
15-Jun-2006, 06:56
I just replace the tape.

There's been a lot of discussion on various boards about choosing tape. I believe that Calumet sells a tape specifically for this purpose. Various writers have suggested bookbinder's tape - eg, Gaylord Brothers. I've used "Duck tape" - a narrow version of the ubiquitous duct tape from the hardware store. Alternatively, black masking tape. Any of these are fine - the only thing that the tape does is hold the flap dow - lighttightness is determined by the fit of the flap into the holder.

John Kasaian
15-Jun-2006, 07:27
Interesting problem you've got. Theoretically there shouldn't be leaks even if the tape is in bad shape as the film(or paper) is covered by the dark slide which fits into the channel on the loading flap. Definately retape the hinges (I use gaffer's tape, but bookbinders tape is probably more durable) and test again.

The weakest part on my wooden holders is the channel where the dark slide fits nto the flap. Its easily broken or cracked since it is a very thin piece of wood. A break could cause the flap not to seat correctly. Checking the channel on the loading flap should tell you if thats the problem.

Or

Maybe the paper hadn't seated correctly into the holder causing the flap not to seat correctly. If the paper or the dark slide isn't behaving while "going home" that could be the problem.

G Benaim
15-Jun-2006, 09:53
John,

The slide goes in and out smoothly on the holders, and I could find no damage to the channel you mentioned. I suspect the wood has separated along the sides near the joint, though I taped over the joints on two of them and still got the same leaks. Other than retaping the flap, what else do you recommend?

Brian Ellis
15-Jun-2006, 11:33
You light leaks aren't caused by the tape. The tape doesn't serve to keep light out, the light trap does that. The tape is there only to serve as a hinge so that you can open and close the flap. There is no special tape that needs to be used for the flap, any tape that will adhere and is flexible will work fine. I buy a matte black tape from Home Depot made by 3M. If you want to retape to make sure the flaps don't fall off, or for aesthetic purposes, that's fine but it won't fix your light leaks.

reellis67
15-Jun-2006, 19:29
The wood may be split, warped, worn out, or have been altered at some point by a previous owner. Troubleshooting is a time consuming task, and should be done very systematicaly. Personaly, I use wood holders on occasion, but prefer to replace them when they get problematic. Sure it can cost a bit, but how much are your negatives worth?

- Randy

John Kasaian
15-Jun-2006, 23:33
I'm stumped. Are these Kodaks, Agfas or Liscos? The dark slide should cover the entire surface of the film out past the edges so the only place for the darkness to leak out would be from under the darkslide---usually on the light trap end. Are the dark slides the proper one for the film holders? Kodaks have a little bail while Agfa/Anscos have a solid rib that spans a cut out where the dark slides are pulled(though I don't see why this in itself should cause a leak---but you never know.

If you bought them from a store like Mid West Photo or Brooklyn Camera or some other dealer, I'd send them back as leakers and ask for a couple of replacements. If you bought them from a private party you'll probably be out of luck, though I put my leakers in a "cannibal box" where I can scavenge parts to keep my other filmholders on line should they require parts.

The old wooden Kodaks--- the black ones labelled Graphlex made for Eastman Kodak" or something like that---have worked out very well for me---better in fact than older plastic filmholders.

G Benaim
16-Jun-2006, 00:37
The wood ones are all fidelity, annd the slides definitely cover the film. All but one leak (6/7). Which newer one do you like? Elites or Regal II?

John Kasaian
16-Jun-2006, 07:18
My plastic holders are all either Lisco Regals and Regal IIs.