PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara vs Toyo-View

snaggs
13-Jun-2006, 22:51
I about to buy my first 4x5.. there is a Tachihara on ebay at an ok price, and Kenny Rockwell rates this camera...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/4x5.htm

However, his only criticism of the Toyo-View is the non-Linhof lens boards, which affects him since he also has a Linhof, but doesn't matter to me.

I saw in the current "View Camera" that Linhof have a new 45CF. I was wondering if someone in the know could tell me what the differences would be?

Daniel.

Gary Tarbert
14-Jun-2006, 03:34
Snaggs i must be careful with what i say because the tachi on ebay might be mine if its based in australia it is . But what i will say is it would depend on what sort of photography you do if you read my thread tachihara vs ebony you will see my reasons for selling were mainly availability of roll backs for the tachi.
Also if you plan to use very wide lenses on the tachi you will need recessed boards.
The Tachi has no facility to change to bag bellows.
I have used a65mm fujinon on a 10mm recessed board this worked ok.I have not had much exsperience with the Toyo!
Kind regards Gary Tarbert

snaggs
14-Jun-2006, 04:05
Hey Gary!!

Well I just put a bid in on your Tachihara.. since I don't want to use Roll Film backs, don't worry!

I was just going to post in here asking what I need to make this complete. I'm thinking I need some double darks.. and a dark cloth. Any ideas where I can get a dark cloth?

I think I'll leave the 65mm Fujinon lens since the preview doesn't work. There are a few Schneiders for sale at the moment in Photo Trader etc for between $175 and $450, I think Ill grab something late model there.

How wide can I go with a Super Angulon?

Cheers,

Daniel.

snaggs
14-Jun-2006, 04:11
PSS. Gary, I'm *fingers crossed*, getting a Imacon at a good price to scan 4"x5". So if you ever need a good scan.

Gary Tarbert
14-Jun-2006, 04:59
Hi Daniel small world is the imacon from custom colour ? on the superangulon 90 mm is no problem with plenty of movements i would geuss a 75mm on a flatboard would be as wide as you could go. I actually have some double darks but as i still shoot 5x4 am reluctant to part with any. On the darkcloth 2 large black t shirts with the neck a perfect size for for the screen primitive but works!Otherwise badger graphics sells them (very good company to deal with on large format)has the double darks as well.
Camera electronics may have some secondhand just be careful with pricing can get a bit adventurous (you have to haggle) but the guys are ok.Good luck with the bidding.
p.s. I hope you dont win with your current bid !(just kidding)
Cheers Gary Tarbert

snaggs
14-Jun-2006, 05:17
Yeh, Camera Electronic is pretty ambitious on their LF stuff. What is the difference between a Recessed and a Flat board?

Do you do scan workflow or analog workflow?

Daniel.

Gary Tarbert
14-Jun-2006, 06:14
Hi Daniel I scan colour ,What happens with wide lenses is because your bellows are not extended very far it,s hard to get any movements a recessed lens board allows more movement on wide lenses because you have the lens recessed back say 10mm (there are other sizes)the downside is if you have fat fingers can get tricky setting aperture/shutter speed.
suggest you carry a pen in your kit. and mini flashlight.
a flat board is the norm and has no extension or recess.hope this helps happy to give some tuition if required
Cheers Gary

Brian Ellis
14-Jun-2006, 08:59
Tachiharas accept the Calumet 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 roll film backs. They don't accept a bag bellows but the normal bellows is sufficiently flexible that a lens as short as 65mm can be used with some room for movements (not much but some). Both of these aspects are, to me, advantages of the camera, not disadvantages. Roll film backs that slide under the ground glass like the Calumets are more convenient to use in the field because you don't have to deal with removing and replacing the "normal" back every time you use the roll film back (plus making sure you store it safely so that you don't step on it). Having to use a bag bellows is not only inconvenient, it's also cumbesome, more weight to carry around, and expensive. All of this is just my opinion of course.

Unfortunately I don't know what a "Toyo View" is so I can't compare them. That sounds like the metal Toyo that weighs a ton but I'm not sure. However, I'm pretty sure that you're mistaken in saying that Linhof has a new 45CF. I don't know of any such camera from Linhof. I think you probably mean the Toyo 45CF. That's Toyo's introductory camera, I wouldn't buy one because it doesn't have back movements and I think that back tilt, and to a lesser extent, swing, are essential for the full large format experience.

Ralph Barker
14-Jun-2006, 12:15
The Tachihara is a nice, inexpensive folding field camera. The Toyo field cameras, in contrast, are metal, as Brian noted. Several Toyo models are available, the most recent of which is a lighter carbon-fiber model, the 45CF. The Toyo 45AX, a metal model, is somewhat heavier than the Tachi, but perhaps a bit more rigid. Neither offer interchangeable bellows. The Toyo 45CF has a fixed back, however, so no back movements are available.

Toyo also makes several monorail view cameras, many of the parts for which are interchangeable with the field models, or have Toyo-made adapters. This system-wide modular design comes in quite handy if you do both studio and field work. For example, I use a 45C monorail in the studio, a 45AX in the field, and have standardized on the 110mm lens boards for the 45AX across all platforms, including my 8x10 Tachi (field) and a Toyo 810G (studio). The 45AX will accept a 65mm Super Angulon in a recessed board, but the bellows is so compressed that only minimal movements are possible. The 45C, however, accepts a bag bellows. So, if I need that capability, I mount the standards from the 45C on a 150mm rail, and carry it dis-assembled in a back pack.

So, bottom line, both are nice cameras. Which would be best for you is an individual decision based on what types of work you plan to do.

Brian Schall
15-Jun-2006, 08:16
Snaggs

I have the Tachihara and use a 65mm f8 Ilex Acugon on a flat board without any problems. Yes the bellows are compressed but I do have room for a little movement. But since the lens does not have much room for movements, this is not a problem. Any front movement will cause vignetting so a degree or two of rear movement is all I can use. When I switch to my SA 90mm f8, I've got plenty of movements.

Good luck.

Brian