PDA

View Full Version : Attempted Credit Card Fraud after the Large Format Conference in Rockford

Kerry L. Thalmann
12-Jun-2006, 14:43
Moderators: I'm not sure if this is the right category for my post. If not, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate location.

I had a great time at the Large Format Conference in Rockford. I enjoyed seeing many old friends and meeting a few new ones as well.

However, I just learned that a fraudulent attempt was made today against the credit card I used during my trip. As I haven't used this credit card for anything other than this trip during the past month, I believe someone at one of the merchants I paid by credit card in Rockford, or on my way to/from the conference stole my credit card information and has attempted to make a fraudulent charge against my account. I am posting this as a warning to anyone who may have used the same merchants while attending the conference. So, check your statements, or better yet call your credit card company and check for any recent suspicious activity.

The fraudulent attempt against my credit card was an attempted Western Union money transfer for an amount in excess of $700. The attempt was made this afternoon (Monday 6/12) I only used my credit card four times during this trip. The merchants that had access to my credit card numbr were:

The Best Western Clocktower Resort - Although my room was pre-paid, they took my credit card imprint when I checked in to cover any room service, long distance phone calls, etc. I ended up not having any charges against my card, but they did/do have my complete credit card info in their files. One of their employees could have easily copied my credit card info from the imprint.

Calumet Photographic - I made a purchase at the trade show, but I know these guys and have no reason to suspect them of any wrong doing.

Van Galder Bus Company - This is the bus service I used to get to/from the conference from O'Hare airport. However, I purchased my round trip bus ticket in advance using their secure web server. No employee of the company had access to my credit card information while I was at the conference.

The Machine Shed - This is a restaurant a couple blocks from the Clocktower Resort. Restaurants are a nortorius source of stolen credit card info. It used to be a problem with thieves getting credit card info off the carbons used to run your credit card. These days, with no carbons, the thief simply writes down you credit card info while they have the card in their possession. However, at this restaurant, the waitress does not take your credit card. You take it to the cashier and they run your card right there in front of you. So, I am less suspicious than I'd normally be that this restaurant is the source of my stolen credit card info.

Fortunately, my credit card company called me within minutes of this fraudulent attempt, blocked the charge, and closed my account to prevent any further faud attempts.

While it is convenient to use credit cards when traveling, and eliminates the need to carry a lot of cash, I'm beginning to wander if it's worth it. After this, I may go back to the old fashioned way of paying only with cash and traveller's checks.

Kerry

Patrik Roseen
12-Jun-2006, 16:31
Kerry, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you (I was NOT at this event myself).

Have you discussed this with the hotel? I have done alot of business travelling and I often wonder how the hotels 'store their secrets'. They are the only ones who want to have the credit card number and also the expirydate even prior to checking in,i.e. sometimes it's required even at the time the reservation is made.
Another thing to be aware of are those merchants who automatically prints ones full credit card number on the receipt when paying. Accidently loosing this receipt or throwing it away in the wrong direction can be asking for trouble.

Since your credit card company suspected something to be wrong the 'thief' might not have had your full information, but only parts of it. If they had had your full information the fraud would probably have been much worse and harder to detect.

Kerry L. Thalmann
12-Jun-2006, 16:53
Patrick,

Yes, I contacted the hotel security manager to report the attempted fraud. I have no proof that a hotel employee is the source of my stolen credit card info, but wanted to alert him in case there were any other complaints. When I checked in, the desk clerk asked to make an imprint of my credit card for any in-room charges. I noticed that he wrote out my complete credit card number on the slip. At the time, I just thought he was writing it out in case it wasn't readable on the imprint. Again, I'm not accusing anyone of anything as I have no proof, but if this peice of paper was not disposed of properly, it could be the source of my stolen credit card information. If not by an employee of the hotel, perhaps by some one going through their trash.

The hotel security manager was careful to not place blame on one of their employees and suggested several other possible sources where someone could have gotten my credit card info (most of which aren't apllicapble as I haven't used this card very much in recent months, have a locked mailbox and shread all my account statements, etc.). I did feel he took my issue seriously and will be on the look out for any other problems.

Kerry

Keith S. Walklet
12-Jun-2006, 17:22
Kerry,

Not good. Glad you caught it. I spoke with another attendee who experienced a credit card theft, though I am not certain if it was just before he arrived at the conference or the day of arrival. I'll pm you his email so you can compare notes with him.

Lee Hamiel
12-Jun-2006, 18:00
Kerry:

Sorry about the problem but glad your bank caught it.

My feeling is that it's nearly impossible to ascertain when & where this occurs. Could have been someone from several months ago, at the CC company, another merchant or an internet hacker hacking into your account.

My wife had her ebay account hijacked a while back & it's not a good thing to have happen when people are posing as you to be selling or buying.

My usual suggestion is to open a single checking account & deposit a certain amount of funds into it for the express intent to use it as a debit/online means only for ebay/amazon/paypal/whoever - in this case you were in person & with that said if the theft occured during the trip then I need to rethink the "online aspect" & consider this concept for any credit card/debit purchases.

As a child our home was broken into & jewellry & camera equipment was stolen & it made a big impression on me as I was 5 years old at the time - this violation of yours reminds me of this.

Good Luck & I hope you find out the source of all of this.

Regards

Tom Westbrook
13-Jun-2006, 05:07
I'm sorry to hear people are having this problem. I just checked the card I gave the hotel and other vendors at the trade show: no charges have been posted at all from the weekend. I'll keep checking daily for a while to be sure things are OK. I used cash for all smaller purchases (meals, etc.).

Ted Harris
13-Jun-2006, 06:17
So far same as Tom .... no unusual activity on crds used in Rockford.

Diane Maher
13-Jun-2006, 09:19
Thanks for the heads up, Kerry. Hope you get things sorted out soon. I have not seen anything unusual on my cards, but I will keep an eye on them.

Pat Kearns
15-Jun-2006, 15:35
Sorry, to hear of the attempted fraud on your credit card. I had someone forward me an email on safeguarding your personal & credit card info that is supposedly put on a hotel room key card. I can't vouch for the validity of the information on the room key cards but it did make me wonder. This is from the body of the email and if anyone is in the hotel industry that is a member of the forum I would like to know if this is true.

Ever wonder what is on your key card?
> a. Customer's name
> b.Customer's partial home address
> c. Hotel room number
> d.Check-in date and out dates
> e. Customer's credit card number and expiration date! When
>you turn them in to the front desk your
>personal information is there for any employee to access by simply scanning
>the card in the hotel scanner. An employee can take a hand full of cards
>home and using a scanning device, access the information onto a laptop
>computer and go shopping at your expense. Simply put, hotels do not erase
>the information on these cards until an employee re-issues the card to the
>next hotel guest. At that time, the new guest's information is
>electronically "overwritten" on the card and the previous guest's
>information is erased in the overwriting process. But until the card is
>rewritten for the next guest, it usually is kept in a drawer at the front
>desk with YOUR INFORMATION ON IT ! The
> bottom line is: Keep the cards, take them home with you, or destroy
>them. NEVER ! leave them behind in the room or room wastebasket, and NEVER
>turn them in to the front desk when you check out of a room. They will
>not charge you for the card (it's illegal) and you'll be sure you are
>not leaving a lot of valuable personal information on it that could be
>easily lifted off with any simple scanning device card reader. For the
>same reason, if you arrive at the airport and discover you still have the
>card key in your pocket, do not toss it in an airport trash
>basket. Take it home and destroy it by cutting it up, especially through
>the electronic information strip!
>
>Information courtesy of: Pasadena Police Department
> > >

Phong
15-Jun-2006, 16:17
That hotel key card appears to be a hoax, and urban legend.

See this 2003 USA Today article (http://www.usatoday.com/travel/hotels/hotsheet/2003-11-05-hotsheet_x.htm), for example.

Eric Rose
15-Jun-2006, 16:18
Sorry Pat but that info is yet another internet hoax. If you go to the real Pasadena Police website they even have a link dealing with this hoax. Seems it's gone on for some time.

Andre Noble
15-Jun-2006, 17:01
Kerry, sorry to hear about that one. $700 is enough money for a Fuji 240 f9 at Badger.:p