PDA

View Full Version : About 8x10 backs

MarshallS
12-Jun-2006, 13:51
Many pardons if this subject has already been covered I couldn't locate the info. So I'm assuming that with various studio vc's you need the companies corresponding back. Accordingly I'm searching for an 8x10 back for my cambo sc. These back are of course hard to find and expensive so my question is, can I use a non-"cambo/calumet" back to fit this camera without sacrificing anything I'd get with the cam/cal. I know it's seemingly a no brainer but I gotten be sure before I drop the cash.

David A. Goldfarb
12-Jun-2006, 14:04
Camera backs are non-standard. Usually the back from one camera won't fit another brand of camera, but there are a few that are interchangeable, and there are some wooden cameras with backs that are not too hard to adapt to other wooden cameras.

Ralph Barker
12-Jun-2006, 16:18
I guess one question is why you need a back? Is your's missing the back entirely, is the GG cracked or missing? Or, is it just "bwoken"?

MarshallS
12-Jun-2006, 16:22
I got a really solid deal on one without a back and knowing I was going to order some satin snow ground glass opted to get the camera for the lowww price.

Bob Gentile
12-Jun-2006, 16:58
I guess, in the end, the price won't be all that low.

MarshallS
12-Jun-2006, 17:58
it will still be a hell of a bargain, I was anticipating 200 for the back when I got it and it's still a steal Mr. tryandrainonmyparadeBOB haha.

Bob Gentile
12-Jun-2006, 18:08
LOL! No, I'll be happy for you when you get everything together at the right price. I LOVE to see people get a good deal. I hope finding a back won't be too great a challenge. Maybe you'll find a junker with a good back.

MarshallS
12-Jun-2006, 22:01
mos def, for the condition the camera is in I can spend 300 for a back and still get a good deal, i think I found one for 200, we will see.

John Kasaian
13-Jun-2006, 19:05
Why not check out Calumet and see if they have a new back that'll fit? Check out all the usual suspects MidWest, Quality, Badger Graphic, KEH etc... for used ones. Haunt eBay if that dosen't work.

As an illustration, I wanted a spare back for my 8x10 'dorff. Mid West Photo had one on hand and withn a week I had it. OTOH I've been looking for a 5x7 back for an Agfa Ansco and its taken a year for one to show up on eBay that I could afford.

I think you've got an advantage since Cambo is still in business, your model isn't that old (in LF years, that is) and Calumet really does an excellent job of supporting the products it sells.

Good luck!