PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Rodenstock 240 and 480 lens questions...

jim kitchen
12-Jun-2006, 12:11
Dear Group,

I am a proud new owner of an 8X10 camera, and I bought two older lenses, which I will test once the camera arrives later this week.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have experience with the following lenses?

Sinar Apo Sinaron 480mm f11 Copal #3
Sinar Sinaron S 240mm f5.6 Copal#3

I bought them as a starter lens set, and they appear to be in excellent shape. It seems they were manufactured in the early 1980's, according to their serial numbers. I also realize that they will cover 8X10 with just a few mm to spare.

That said, and since I am anxious to take them out for a spin, could anyone possibly add a few comments regarding their own experience with these lenses, if they have a moment?

My curiosity, regarding what I could expect from these lenses, happens to be getting the better of me...

Thank you in advance,

jim k

Frank Petronio
12-Jun-2006, 17:12
Those are really first class, super nice lenses that don't sacrifice a thing to the latest models. And they maybe all you ever need. The 480 should cover 8x10 with more than a few mm to spare, and the 240 will do better in actual use than you might suspect. I haven't used the 480 but the 240 is, well, perfect, and I wouldn't expect the 480 to be any less so.

Oren Grad
12-Jun-2006, 17:57
The 240 is a Sinar-labeled Rodenstock (Apo-)Sironar-N, and the 480 is a Sinar-labeled Apo-Ronar. They're fine lenses.

Coverage of the 480 should be ample for 8x10. Coverage of the 240 is adequate for 8x10 with a bit of movement; because it's a wide-ish lens on a squarish format, you may eventually find that you run out of room for front rise sometimes.

But they're both excellent lenses to get started with. Go out, use them with confidence, and have a great time in your LF explorations.

jim kitchen
12-Jun-2006, 21:02
Thank you for your prompt replies gentlemen,

I could not resist the move to 8X10 from 4X5, and these lenses happen to be foreign to me at the moment, although I enjoy other Rodenstock lenses on my 4X5.

As for the choice of focal length, I got lucky with their availability, and since I knew that I wanted to be within that focal length range to start out, I bought them.

My next curious question, once I receive the camera body, and after I review the forum's database, will be about drum processing 8X10 black and white negatives.

I look forward to that adventure.

Thank you again,

jim k

Armin Seeholzer
14-Jun-2006, 14:12
Hi Jim
I have the 480 mm as you around the same age and it is a very good performer, mine is from 1975 and single coated but f 9. Rodenstock states it has 396mm of usefull covering power but this is only true if you work on very critical aplications otherwise but for normal usage you have much more covering power!
I'm sure if you stop down to f 32 you run out of camera movements bevor the lens is out of covering power.
Have fun!

jim kitchen
5-Jul-2006, 22:38
Dear Group,

Just an update...

I returned the Sinaron 240mm. The quality of that particular used lens, with respect to sharpness and contrast, was just shy of total misery.

The lens sure looked nice...

That said the hunt is on for another medium wide lens for my 8X10.

Your suggestions would be totally welcome at this moment.

Thank you in advance,

jim k

Capocheny
5-Jul-2006, 22:50
Dear Group,

Just an update...

I returned the Sinaron 240mm. The quality of that particular used lens, with respect to sharpness and contrast, was just shy of total misery.

The lens sure looked nice...

That said the hunt is on for another medium wide lens for my 8X10.

Your suggestions would be totally welcome at this moment.

Thank you in advance,

jim k

Hi Jim,

If you can find another Apo Sironar-S... do so. It has a larger image circle (372 mm) than the Symmar (352 mm), Fujinon (336 mm), or Nikkor (336 mm.) :)

Cheers

Sheldon N
5-Jul-2006, 23:20
Other lenses that come to mind would include any of the 210/240/270mm G-Clarons, an older Fuji 250mm f/6.7, a 210mm Computar, or a 10" Dagor.

Steve Hamley
6-Jul-2006, 03:19
Jim,

Sounds like someone's mis-spaced or turned a glass around in the 240. It should be a superb lens.

Personally I'm fond of the 270mm G-Claron, a lens that always brings home the bacon, 4x5 or 8x10. Equivalent to a 135mm on 4x5 when used on 8x10, good close up, shootable at f:64. And in a Copal 1 to boot.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a new(er) Apo-Sironar S...

Steve

jim kitchen
6-Jul-2006, 06:16
Gentlemen,

That lens just did not deliver, and yet it looked so pristine...

I tested and developed a number of negatives, where the landscape subjects were absolutely static. The lens exhibited a number of faults, but the worst happened to be the lack of depth of field, let alone the sharpness and contrast issues.

This lens should be good, but unfortunately for me, it was nothing more than a paper weight. I did enjoy the natural viewing angle of the lens though.

I am also finding it difficult to locate a great value on a Apo-Sironar S, and the price of a new lens is certainly strong.

Anyway, the hunt is on...

Thank you again for your suggestions,

jim k

Dan Fromm
6-Jul-2006, 07:05
Gentlemen,

... The lens exhibited a number of faults, but the worst happened to be the lack of depth of field, let alone the sharpness and contrast issues.

...What? I can understand why any lens' sharpness and contrast might disappoint, but why should this one give less DoF than expected? At the same aperture and magnfication (or film to subject distance when shooting landscapes) all 240s will give you the same DoF.

How did you shoot the 240?

jim kitchen
6-Jul-2006, 08:13
Dear Dan,

The images were static, buildings mostly...

The lens plane and film plane were parallel and vertical. The focus was set to a distance of approximately 100 metres, and the lens was set at f22.5. All negatives displayed an irregularity, where the foreground was sharply focused and the background was sharply focused, yet the middle ground focus was out to lunch, specifically just outside the centre, from left to right.

I expected continuity from near focus to infinity, edge to edge, top to bottom.

I thought the error could be the film, where it might have bowed in the holder and, or some form of movement with the front standard, so I did more tests, and the results were identical...

Middle ground was always out of focus from left to right, and edge to edge. You can actually see the focus change from being sharp to unsharp laterally across the entire negative. I can not explain this, but the issue was very consistent.

Maybe a spacer ring was missing between the elements and the shutter. I do not know that to be certain, since I did not check to see if that condition existed, nor would I know that issue if I saw it.

You are welcome to see sections of the image...

Thank you again,

jim k