PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried dropping a light box on a regular scanner?

snuck
10-Jun-2006, 23:28
I was just wondering if anybody has tried this in scanning their LF negs. That is, placing your negs on the flatbed, then placing a light box on top of the negs

Doug Howk
11-Jun-2006, 03:32
I had read somewhere about doing this; but I only have a flourescent light box which doesn't work with a scanner. An incadescent light box should work.

j.e.simmons
11-Jun-2006, 16:04
At work we use klieg lights to illuminate x-rays for scanning. I took in my Zone VI cold light head to try that, but the scanner picked up regular lines across the image. I think they must have been the result of 60Hz flicker in the cold light.

I'd say any incandescent source would probably work, although different scanners may work differently.
juan

robc
11-Jun-2006, 16:37
it won't work well unless you can switch the scanner light off. The scanner works on reflected light from below which is very bright. Brighter than your light box will be.

Darin Boville
11-Jun-2006, 19:53
Many desktop scanners incorporate this idea in a lid that has a light source built into it. My old Epson 2450 is like this. Others, like my Microtek i900, do it internally (glassless scanning).

Would an LCD panel (they are sold as light boxes) work or would there be flicker? Might be a way to convert a good non-"photo" scanner into one suited for negs.

--Darin

www.darinboville.com