PDA

View Full Version : Agfan Ansco back mods

John Kasaian
10-Jun-2006, 21:20
I've been working on a syllabus for an intro to LF course for local adult education venues but came to a standstill when it came to getting a couple of suitable cameras (did I mention they had to be cheap?) I've got two good 5x7 Agfa Anscos and a couple of parts cameras, but only one usable 5x7as Ansco 5x7 backs have been hard to come by lately and my #2 camera only has a 4x5 back. Well, I just won an auction for an Ansco sliding 5x7back---am I excited! From the photos,it looks like the sliding back was attached to a non Ansco 8x10 back. My plans are to take it off the 8x10 back and hopefully to remove the sliding portion so it will be a conventional "non-sliding" 5x7 I can fit to my #2 camera. Since I won't have the back in my possession for awhile, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has tried this before, or if anyone here has a sliding 5x7 back and if so, can you tell me if it will be "normal" if removed it from the slider portion without requiring major mods? I do have extra 4x5 backs, so I could have one milled and the 5x7 ground glass frame attached if need be---but I'm a very lazy guy;-)

Randy H
12-Jun-2006, 17:59
I had the Agfa Studio 5x7 with the sliding back, and within five minutes time, had modified it to a single 5x7 back. I left the back in as near original as possible, and left the "slide" lock portion in tact. Then you just leave the back in the center position. It will be apparent what mods are necessary once you receive the back. I removed the two metal pieces, and trimmed the wood to clear the 5x7 view area. Then when I sold the camera, I replaced the wood pieces, replaced the metal inserts, and that way the next person could decide how they wanted to use it.

Nick_3536
12-Jun-2006, 18:21
The 5x7 I have had what I guess used to be a sliding back. The sliding part wasn't there. The thing is it was deeper then a normal back so it added some extension. I removed the hardware and attached it to a piece of board. Really nothing more complicated then that.

John Kasaian
13-Jun-2006, 18:46
Randy, Nick:

Thanks! It sounds like an easy fix. I really apreciate your advice!