PDA

View Full Version : Roll film backs for 4x5

Rider
10-Jun-2006, 15:21
Are there roll film backs that can do either 6x9 or 6x12?

I'd look to shoot both formats, but don't want to have to buy and carry two backs.

darr
10-Jun-2006, 15:34
There is currently this Shen Hao Model (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7627108426) available. Sinar did make one, but cannot find one for sale right now. I have no experience using this back but others may. I use various sizes of Horseman backs on my cameras.

Oren Grad
10-Jun-2006, 15:49
Sure - the Sinar Zoom 2 roll holder allows you to make pictures in 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 and 6x12 formats. You can even change formats mid-roll. It's beautifully made, has a very flat film path, and is a pleasure to use. You can order one through B&H for $4,329.95.

< pause >

After you pick yourself up off the floor, you might also look at the various Chinese models currently floating around that will give you 6x12 plus smaller formats. Construction quality isn't in the same league (surprise!), but the price is right. Here's one of them, at Badger Graphic:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=122

If I wanted to shoot both 6x9 and 6x12, I'd probably just bite the bullet and carry two Horseman roll holders, one for each format. The Sinar is way more than I could justify, while the Shen-Hao and similar Chinese models are a bit crude for my taste. But lots of users are happy with them.

robc
10-Jun-2006, 16:06
Sinar Zoom II is much cheaper if you buy from http:\\www.robertwhite.co.uk

half the quoted B&H price

Jim McGrew
10-Jun-2006, 16:09
I've been using a Horseman 6x12 and wanting a 6x9 as well. Instead, I just purchased a used Sinar Zoom 2 for $1200 from Sean at www.camerawest.com. It runs the gamut of formats as Oren says above. What convinced me to buy it, rather than get a second back for 6x9 is this: with the Horseman you have to remove the ground glass after focusing, and attach the back. But the Zoom 2 slips in under the ground glass frame just like a film holder, making it possible to check your focus more quickly or work more quickly if you want to set up other shots in the same location and need to refocus. If you make some calls to 4x5 outlets or look on ebay for awhile you can probably come up with one.

Oren Grad
10-Jun-2006, 16:11
Sinar Zoom II is much cheaper if you buy from http:\\www.robertwhite.co.uk

half the quoted B&H price

Good point - he's got some on special now for 995 pounds, which is less than $1850. Grab 'em while they last! Direct link:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/Large%20accessories.htm#Labelroll

robc
10-Jun-2006, 16:20
Before you jump for a sinar zoom II make sure it will fit under your GG cos on some backs it won't.

Oren Grad
10-Jun-2006, 16:21
OK, since we're discussing the Sinar semi-seriously, I'll add a few comments based on experience with the Sinar Vario (earlier version of the Zoom, variable format but no mid-roll change) and Sinar Panorama (fixed-format 6x12).

* All the Sinars are beautifully made.
* The pre-exposure film path is about as flat as you can get in a roll holder - no reverse-curl problems here - and it's got a large, effective pressure plate.
* Loading is slow and fussy compared to a Horseman roll holder; you have to fumble with a separate cassette and threading the film into the body of the holder is a bit tricky.
* It's BIG.
* It's HEAVY.
* Not every camera back will open up wide enough to allow the Sinar to slide in. The older Sinars have Graflok grooves, but as became apparent in another thread here the other day, the Zoom 2 does not.

Jim's right, with a bit of patience you can find a used Zoom or Zoom 2 for far less than even Robert White's price. If you buy a used one, try to get it with a return privilege. The design has lots of nooks and crannies for dust and grit to get into, and if you get one that's been abused in the field rather than babied in the studio, it can be a royal pain to get it adequately cleaned.

robc
10-Jun-2006, 16:55
WARNING!

If you go for a second hand zoom II be sure it is a Zoom II because the earlier Zoom (Zoom I ???) had a lot of problems.

Also the clip on adjustable format mask for the GG only fits sinar backs. The film format adjustment works on any camera. There was also flexible format mask you could put on the GG like a fresnel with a big hole in the middle but I never bothered using mine.

Its a bit more fiddly to load with film than a medium format back is, but its really no problem.

The benefit of the pressure plate is that it is full size in the 6x12 format so film plane is always in the same place. yes you can change format half way through a role of film but it does waste film doing so and with only 6 6x12 images a roll I wouldn't be messing with film format half way through a roll.

There are spare film spool holders available to speed film loading but not by much. 220 film holders are also available.

Read the instruction manual very carefully before using it otherwise you WILL break it.
Never force the winding lever.

It's a very useful piece of kit but its big and heavy. For the price of a new one you could proabaly get a 6x12 camera and lens which is worth thinking about...