PDA

View Full Version : Inserting a darkslide into a Sinar P2

steviebabes
10-Jun-2006, 07:56
Horribly embarrassing.

I figured-out how to unscrew the ends of the rails, and how to attach the lens and bellows, all by patient looking, thinking and tentative probing.

But I am now stuck at the last bit - attaching a double dark slide.

How does it fit in - do I have to completely remove the fresnel & groundglass? If I do, why is the groundglass holder so springy-and-pull-outable, as if its meant to act as a grip?

Please be kind to this user of Canon and Mamiya RZ.

Steven.

A quick piccie of my recent acquisition, complete with Schneider 360mm:

http://steven2417.fotopic.net/p30282800.html

David A. Goldfarb
10-Jun-2006, 08:08
Just lift up on one of the two levers opposite the side the filmholder goes in and slip it under the glass. The bail controlled by the lever makes it easier to insert the filmholder without disturbing the camera.

Bob Gentile
10-Jun-2006, 08:14
When you say "doubls dark slide," I assume you mean "film holder." As you saw, the ground glass is springy and pull-outable. Pull it away from the back and the film holder should slide in -- between the GG and the back. The film should NOW be "exactly" where the GG WAS.

steviebabes
10-Jun-2006, 08:20
Ooops, yes - I meant "Fidelity Elite Film Holder".

Steven

steviebabes
10-Jun-2006, 08:25
Got it - done it!

I'm all set now for my first exposure.

I knew I'd be horribly embarrassed at stealing time from you both for such a basic question. But your help was essential - my internet searching came up with nothing.

Thank you!

Steven

Bob Gentile
10-Jun-2006, 09:14
Got it - done it... I'm all set now for my first exposure..."
Great! Glad to hear that.

"... I knew I'd be horribly embarrassed at stealing time from you both for such a basic question..."
I've been shooting 4x5 for just a little over a year, so I'm still new enough to remember the frustrations. But even the "old timers" here seem to have a lot of patience. No need for embarrassment.

Richard Kelham
10-Jun-2006, 11:37
When you say "doubls dark slide," I assume you mean "film holder."

I presume by "film holder" you mean "double dark slide"? Film holder is a generic word, DDS is a specific.

A word of warning for Steve – try not to pull out the wrong sheath...yup! We've all done it in the heat of the moment. And remember that the white side of the top of the sheath is for unexposed film, the black side for exposed film. Cuts down on the accidental double exposures. :-)

Bob Gentile
11-Jun-2006, 13:42
I presume by "film holder" you mean "double dark slide"? Film holder is a generic word, DDS is a specific..."
Actually, I did mean "film holder." Never heard the term "DDS" before, but, as I said, I'm a relative newbie to LF. What is a DDS?

Good point about the color coding on the dark slides. The white (silver?) edge usually has a row of bumps, too -- to help identify it in the dark. Of course, that never stopped me from loading the film into the holder with the emulsion side down. :o

Richard Kelham
11-Jun-2006, 15:31
Actually, I did mean "film holder." Never heard the term "DDS" before, but, as I said, I'm a relative newbie to LF. What is a DDS?

A Double Dark Slide is the usual double sided Fidelity type film holder. The term has been in use since before I first picked up a LF camera (1969!), though it's possible the usage is European rather than American.

As for putting the film in back-to-front, I guess we've done it once...(sigh)

Bob Gentile
11-Jun-2006, 16:41
"... A Double Dark Slide is the usual double sided Fidelity type film holder. The term has been in use since before I first picked up a LF camera (1969!), though it's possible the usage is European rather than American..."
Interesting. I've never run into that term before. All the literature I've seen refers to a double-sided "film holder" that has two "dark slides." Thanks for the info.

"... As for putting the film in back-to-front, I guess we've done it once...(sigh)..."
Or twice. Or ... Ha!