PDA

View Full Version : LF discussion tidbits

Lon Overacker
9-Jun-2006, 23:17
Not sure if this belongs in this forum or not, but wanted to toss this out there.

I will be entering a number of 16x20 color prints in my local county fair as I have done for many, many years(Alameda county, CA for those near by). I scan my own 4x5 color transparencies, do the PS prep and have them printed by Calypso with the LJ 5000. Not that it matters any for my question...

I thought after nearly 15 years of entering I would try and contribute more. I am going to volunteer to "demo" large format photography. Typically, you may have painters demonstrating their art, but I've never seen a photographer. Granted, it's not reasonable to think you can demonstrate the entire image creation process. But how many of us have been approached by onlookers about our gear? "How old is that camera?", "What are you doing?", "Do you know Ansel Adams?"... etc, etc. At a minimum, I think some genuine conversations could be had with a demonstration of large format photograpy.

The environment I would be setting up in is a small "pavillion" where couple of hundred items are on display and fair patrons meander around and can even purchase items. On display are a combination of paintings (oil, acrylic, water color, etc), photography (color, B&W and digital) as well as sculptures and framed poetry, etc. A pretty even balance between paintings and photography, approx 200 on display.

Anyway, these are my thoughts on a "LF demonstration":
1. 4x5 camera and lens setup on tripod so folks could look at the image on the GG; under the dark cloth of course.
2. A few film holders with some expendable/exposed pieces of film to show size and how film is loaded, and images captured
3. Have the changing bag out if anyone wants to try and change film with no eyes. :-)
4. Light table with some sample 4x5's against 35mm...
5. Demonstrate camera movements for anyone interested; explaining the advantage of the improved DOF, etc.

Most importantly, with all the equipment set up, I have the opportunity to discuss LF photography with the average Joe, answer general questions, etc.

Having said all that, I'm looking for any tidbits of valuable information that I could have that could answer some questions that will no doubt come up:

1. How does your camera compare to digital?
ok, pretty generic, but how would you answer that?
2. What is the equivalent megapixel size compared to a digital camera? vs. 4x5
(last I calculated, it was something along the lines of 54MP would be needed in a digital camera to reach 4x5 resolution
3. How does digital compare to film resolution?

Basically, I'm looking for some technical info I can toss out when asked some questions. I can certainly talk about why I use LF.... it slows the photographic process down..... I must make sure enough time is taken in selecting the subject, the lighting, conditions etc. At $3 a shot, I can't just wildly bracket and "hope" to get a good shot...

Ok, my dig.... I don't come back from a photo trip and complain that I have 2,500 images to process.....

So sorry for the long thread here... but,
1. I would appreciate any other ideas on a LF demo for a county fair and
2. Any technical tidbits that I can have to pass on to those who may ask.

thanks in advance...
Lon

Gordon Moat
10-Jun-2006, 00:02
I think having a Polaroid back could be super valuable to show people. However, I guess to keep costs down you would want to use that sparingly. My cost cutter Polaroid back is a type 405 that I use for pack films from Polaroid or Fuji.

Since I come from a traditional arts background, I find large format more like taking a sketchbook to a location. This is how I explain when people ask questions. So basically it could be 15 minutes doing a drawing, or 15 minutes setting up and taking a shot or two.

Anyway, sounds like a fun adventure. I hope you meet some interesting people in the process.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Ralph Barker
10-Jun-2006, 05:16
Sounds like an interesting project. In a county fair environment, you'll likely have a wide variety of people happening by, with correspondingly varied interest levels and backgrounds. Thus, security may be an issue. You might, for example, want to tape your negs and transparencies to the light table so they don't "walk off" while you're otherwise engaged.

You might also consider having a display board with photos of the steps involved in the process, showing that there are artistic and technical choices to be made at each step. This might include developing (film/developer choice), enlarging (enlarger type, paper and developer choice, dodging/burning, split contrast), toning (toner choice), alternative processes, presentation (mounting, matting, framing, etc.).

You might also have a Hasselblad on display, so they can see that a view camera is not a Hasselblad. ;)

Lon Overacker
12-Jun-2006, 18:32
Thanks for the responses. Yeah, security... I thought about that, more because I'd have by camera bag near-by and would be more concerned about my lenses. The film I would bring to show would be throw-aways anyway.

"So basically it could be 15 minutes doing a drawing, or 15 minutes setting up and taking a shot or two."
I very much like this analogy - especially since the majority of patrons will be for the paintings. My analogy is much the same.... for those who say... anyone can press a button on a camera and take a picture. Well, Anyone can slap some paint on a canvas and call it art. case closed.

Anyway, I would love to have an 8x10 or 11x14 negative/slide to show the size progression from digital, 35mm, 4x5 and up. This really gives a perspective to those who've never seen anything but a 4x6 print from Costco or Walgreens...

thanks for the tips. If anyone else has any technical tips I could toss out to passer's-by, I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Lon

Clueless Winddancing
12-Jun-2006, 18:44
While "How much does it cost?" Etc., is a popular question, what they may not consider is the ASC aspect (altered state of consciousness). Exploring the universe and yourself, materializing an output that you've influenced from beginning to end may engender deep satisfactions in discovery. A legal high.

Ron Marshall
13-Jun-2006, 10:45
You could have comparison prints of the same subject taken with 4x5 and a 6 or 8MP digital to show the quality difference with 4x5.