PDA

View Full Version : The "best-lensboards.com/"

Capocheny
8-Jun-2006, 17:44
Greetings,

I'm curious... has anybody here had any experiences with Doug Theall who makes lensboards?

His website is:

http://www.best-lensboards.com/

How are his products? Are they comparable to the original boards? Advantages? Disadvantages? :) :>| :(

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers

Alan Davenport
8-Jun-2006, 18:10
I have no knowledge of, or experience with, Doug's lensboards. However, I've made a few of my own, and I will categorically state that large format lensboards are not rocket science. The boards in the photos on his website look good, and his prices aren't too bad.

Ron Stowell
8-Jun-2006, 18:11
I can't speak for or about Doug Theall's lens boards but I have made lens boards for my 4x5 view camera and have had very good performance from the boards that I have made. Doug's work looks to be first rate so give a try ; buy one board and see if it meets with your approval.

Hugo Zhang
8-Jun-2006, 21:14
I have done business with Doug. He made some Deardorff lens boards for me. Very nice guy and I like his boards too.

CXC
8-Jun-2006, 21:44
Another economical option is ebay seller oaklandlenscom. I got an ugly and perfectly serviceable board with a custom odd-sized hole for five bucks. Can't beat that price. Search for "Lens board custom sized". He'll even make standard sizes. They are all wood.

Joseph O'Neil
9-Jun-2006, 04:54
Another economical option is ebay seller oaklandlenscom. I got an ugly and perfectly serviceable board with a custom odd-sized hole for five bucks. Can't beat that price. Search for "Lens board custom sized". He'll even make standard sizes. They are all wood.

I bought ten lens boards off him for my tachiharia. $5 each, he will drill the boards any size you want for that price included. He shows them grey, but if you ask, he'll paint them black, no extra cost. Very simple, a bit ugy, and totally functional. I find the boards are a tiny bit loose in my tachihara, but that was easily fixed.

I also made some of my own lens bards. I bought one new for my Tachihara, and once I had that as a pattern, lens baords aren't that hard to make.

joe

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
9-Jun-2006, 05:37
I bought five boards from Doug a few months ago. He drilled them to size and even made an adapter-board for me (I supplied the hardware). They were decently made, but a bit loose fitting for my camera. I didn't like the color of the finish, but it wasn't ugly, just that weird color which plywood takes on when stained. Next time I will paint them black.

Tim Hyde
11-Jun-2006, 12:33
I have. He sometimes needs a couple of days for the finish to dry, but he is fast, relatively inexpensive, and his work is high quality.

Doug Dolde
11-Jun-2006, 13:04
He can't spel to gud.

"Click here to got to Paypal."

Capocheny
13-Jun-2006, 19:47
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses... I'll post a little review here after I receive my adapter board from Doug.

Jason,

What kind of plywood was used on your board?

LOL... Doug, I don't really care if he can't "spel to gud" as long as he produces great lens board adapters! :)

BTW... his website says it's a money back guarantee for his products! Gotta love that! :)

Cheers