PDA

View Full Version : Ansco 5x7 camera backs

MIke Sherck
8-Jun-2006, 06:28
Does anyone know whether, in general, backs are interchangable between Ansco 5x7 and B&J 5x7 wooden tailboard cameras? I have a 5x7 which I believe is an Ansco; it came with a B&J 4x5 back which is a bit too small to fit. That's not entirely bad, since I wanted the camera as a 5x7 anyway. I can get a B&J 5x7 back, but will it fit or do I need to chase down an Ansco back?

Mike

John Kasaian
8-Jun-2006, 07:14
Mike,

They attach differently to the body of the camera. B&Js have the more conventional metal stubs that snap into the springs on the B&J cameras, while the agfa and ansco comaeras have brass bound corners that snap into the springs. I don't have example of both camerash me so I don't know how hard it would be to make the modifications or what other issues are involved. I'd imagine they could be made o fit,I just don't know how extensive the modifications would have to be. It might be easier to strip the gg panel and hardware off the B&J and mount it on a new base made for the dimensions of your Agfa.

MIke Sherck
8-Jun-2006, 08:48
This camera is something of an oddity as I am not entirely sure what it is. The name plate on top says "Burke & James" but the back attaches differently than I've seen before. The top of the rear standard has the two metal strips with holes in them into which the pins on the back fit, but the bottom has a pair of clips with channels in them, into which the bottom of the ground glass back rests. It is similar to my first LF camera, which was an Ansco 5x7. The bellows is a sort of greenish-gray with a black stripe and the locking levers which lock the rear standard down are machined "L" shaped levers, not the red toggle levers my old B&J had. Otherwise the hardware is what one would expect from a B&J.

*Sigh* I suppose I need to kiss up to my brother-in-law the woodworker and see if he can make the back fit. :(

Mike

MIke Sherck
8-Jun-2006, 10:31
If it helps, here's a picture. I'd love to know what the heck this is.

Nick_3536
8-Jun-2006, 10:49
The Ansco rear extension doesn't come off. It's attached with a hinge.

Denis Pleic
8-Jun-2006, 13:39
Mike, I think I have one just like yours.... It's a B&J Watson camera, but mine came sans the extension rail, and the 5x7 back fits without the "adapter". Mine also has the gray paint streipped and a new bellows, making it a bit more "attractive" in natural wood fininsh....
Maybe you have a B&J Watson camera (which accepts 5x7 backs), and the back which is actually 4x5, with an adapter. I got mine with both 4x5 and 5x7 backs.

From what I see in the attached photo, your camera has the usual B&J "stubs", which means it will accept the usual B&J 5x7 back - i.e. the back which has two brass pins on top side, which go into the mentioned stubs....

I can attach some photos, if you think it will help.

Denis