PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend for a not so sharp 210 mm lens?

David Beal
8-Jun-2006, 05:58
One of the things we offer are b/w portraits of senior adults. I do these in 35 mm or 6x6, but I've been thinking about offering 4x5 as well.

My preference is to soften the image of the subject. I know there are many excellent tack sharp 210 mm lenses available, and that if I opened them up wide I could soften them up a bit, but are there any older lenses which, even at their sharpest, are not so sharp?

Thanks for your suggestions.

/s/ David

Ralph Barker
8-Jun-2006, 06:16
There have been numerous discussions here of the older "portrait" lenses that might be helpful, David. There was also a recent discussion of using lenses wide open.

For your seniors effort, however, there may be additional considerations. Remember, for example, that older folks are more likely to be "bobbers" or "weavers" - meaning that working with minimal DOF can be problematic. Thus, you might also consider the practicality of using diffusion instead of relying solely on lens "character".

BrianShaw
8-Jun-2006, 06:21
There seem to be quite a few Fujinon SF (soft focus) 250 lenses on the market. They run between $300 - $400 at the auction site or places like KEH/Lens-and-Repro.

Jim Galli
8-Jun-2006, 07:02
I have a single coated 190mm Kodak f4.5 Ektar that has a very nice look wide open. The 210mm Voigtlander Heliar is really the finest portrait lens there is for 4X5. For softer yet, the Rodenstock Imagon and the Kodak 12" f4.8 Portrait lens both have selectable softness. The other day I hung an old brass 9" magic lantern petzval on the front of a 4X5 and it really has a neat look. PM me if you want the 190 Kodak.

Ron Marshall
8-Jun-2006, 07:05
Here is an Imagon for sale:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1902

robc
8-Jun-2006, 07:16
http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/secondary/ps945

jnantz
8-Jun-2006, 07:31
hi dave

maybe a converted symmar convertible or a 10" veritar ...

john

Bill_1856
8-Jun-2006, 07:41
B&W or color?

Paul Fitzgerald
8-Jun-2006, 08:07
Hi David,

"The 210mm Voigtlander Heliar is really the finest portrait lens there is for 4X5."

I completely agree, I own 3. Don't forget Wollensak Raptars, there is a damn good reason for 'Raptar rapture' and they are available in 162,190, 210, 240, 300mm, have them all.

On the flip side, think about an EL Raptar enlarger lens, they were industry standard for years for good reason. If you are doing B&W VC, you can be doing split filter printing. If you are doing split filter printing, you can be doing split diffusion. With the EL Raptars you can print the blacks and details with grade 5 at f/11-16 and print the flesh tones and highlights with grade 0 at f/4.5-5.6 to soften the skin. The effect is INVISIBLE but noticeable, you can't see whats been done but it's there. It does take some dancing with it to get it down but it's definitely worth the effort.

Have fun with the hunt.

Christopher Perez
8-Jun-2006, 08:12
21cm Voightlander Heliar. It's simply amazing for portraits.

Jack Flesher
8-Jun-2006, 09:33
While the Heliar's are quite nice, they take a distant second to the Cooke PS 945! But the Cooke is on the pricey side and the Heliars are relative bargains. That said, the Cooke is the only lens I've ever become emotionally attached to -- I actually named mine ;) I can use it wide open for buttery softness, stop it down to f8 for silky smooth or to f11 where skin pores start to pop -- and each 1/3 stop along the way generates a subtly different effect. Go to f16 and you can see the angle of the cut on a man's whisker.

IMO the Imagon style lenses just don't cut it -- the oof rendering is odd, being very different before and after the plane of focus and they don't handle the transition smoothly. (I think you can generate a better effect with filters or PhotoShop.)

YMMV,

Armin Seeholzer
8-Jun-2006, 15:08
For older woman there is nothing better then a Imagon wide open, with one exaption my Universal Heliar is a tiny bit better in regards Bokeh!
But my Imagon is a 250mm and my Univeral Heliar is a 360mm!

Ole Tjugen
8-Jun-2006, 15:19
Universal Heliar, or a very old Periscope lens. Or even a meniscus.

If you move up to 5x7", a FKD plate camera is great for portraits!

John Berry
8-Jun-2006, 15:20
There is always the option of using a softar filter. I have a #2 that does a nice job. Granted it is not the same as my 305 kodak portrait lens. I still want a 210 heliar.

David Beal
8-Jun-2006, 17:11
Thank you, one and all!

Now to have a serious conversation with my check book ...

/s/ David