PDA

View Full Version : Reflex viewers or focusing hoods

Andrew Ito
7-Jun-2006, 15:26
I've got an Ebony SV45Ti that the previous owner modified to accept a Cambo reflex viewer. I was also able to purchase a used Ebony bellows focusing hood for this camera, but with the modification it doesn't quite fit without me doing some modifications myself to the mounting hardware. At this point, I'm not sure whether to modify the existing hardware or look into getting a reflex viewer since they had already piqued my interest earlier.

My question is what viewers are available that would work well on the Ebony. I know the Horseman bino viewers are nice but I've not had any luck finding one. Does anyone have any experience with different viewers? How much are they? Any insights?

Ralph Barker
7-Jun-2006, 15:49
FWIW, Andrew, I have a reflex viewer for my Toyo. While it's fairly nice, it's a non-folding metal design. So, it's too bulky for convenient field use. IIRC, the Horseman model folds, but I might be wrong on that.

Miguel Curbelo
7-Jun-2006, 16:08
I have both a Cambo Reflex viewer and a bellows focusing hood with a magnifier (from Robert White). I use them both with my SW45. Initially I tended to use the reflex viewer more often, but as I got used to viewing the image upside down I have used it less and less. In fact, it is so bulky that these days, now that I think of it, I only use a combination of black T-shirt and bellows focusin hood.

Andrew Ito
7-Jun-2006, 16:20
I know the Horseman model folds. Is that the only one? How much do they go for?

Kerey
7-Jun-2006, 19:38
If you are feeling weighed down by the Cambo viewer, I'd be MORE THAN happy to take it off your hands :). Consider it a charitable donation to a starving student. Good luck w/ your search!

Capocheny
7-Jun-2006, 21:03
I had one of the Sinar binocular reflex finders for the 4x5 and found myself constantly gravitating to a good darkcloth more often than not.

As Ralph said, some of them don't fold up... so lugging them into the field is one giant pita! I never did take it out but know of others that have... to each their own! :)

So, if your intention is to take it out into the field... I'd think the bellows focusing hood would be much more portable and far more convenient to use. Again, YMMV!

Cheers

Brian Ellis
7-Jun-2006, 21:57
I used the Robert White focusing bellows on a 45Te for about a month. I didn't like it. You had to move the bellows from left to right and up and down to see the edges even with a moderate wide angle lens. It also wasn't very good in dim light.

Andrew Ito
8-Jun-2006, 00:16
If you are feeling weighed down by the Cambo viewer, I'd be MORE THAN happy to take it off your hands :). Consider it a charitable donation to a starving student. Good luck w/ your search!

I don't actually have the Cambo viewer. The camera was fitted with hardware to accept a Cambo viewer but I don't have it. Sorry!

Andrew Ito
8-Jun-2006, 00:20
I used the Robert White focusing bellows on a 45Te for about a month. I didn't like it. You had to move the bellows from left to right and up and down to see the edges even with a moderate wide angle lens. It also wasn't very good in dim light.

Thanks! This is good feedback. I've got the Ebony bellows, but haven't really gotten a chance to use it in real life since the hardware isn't compatible at the moment. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it to use the bellows or if I should rather choose a viewer as a better option.

Anyone use the Horseman folding bino viewer?

darr
8-Jun-2006, 09:51
Andrew,

I have both the Ebony bellows viewer w/magnifier and the Cambo Reflex viewer. When I first purchased my SV45U, I purchased it with a Ebony bellows viewer thinking it would be sufficient. When I realized it was not, mostly because I could not see the entire image, I contacted Ebony about a possible modification to the camera back to accept my old Cambo reflex hood. To make a long story short, all I had to do was send the Cambo viewer to Japan and the modification was made. What they actually did was attach the bottom frame of one of their bellows viewer on the bottom of the Cambo viewer, so the modification that was made to your camera back is not the same as my viewer modification. Buying the Bellows Viewer was not a total lose as I find the loupe that came with it to be a useful tool and would purchase a second one if I was to loose what I have. I mainly use it to see what my lens is set at from above. My eyes are starting to go now that I am 48. :(

robc
8-Jun-2006, 10:33
I use a 90deg reflex viewer on a Linhof Technikardan. I don't use a dark cloth.
I find that leaving your eye on the viewer for several seconds gives it time to adjust to the much lower light levels and things become much clearer.

With a 210 lens the GG is reasonably bright but with wide angle the corners are dark through the reflex viewer. I just installed a cheap fresnel and that makes a huge difference to the brightness of the viewer and being able to see into the corners.

So if your viewer isn't bright enough and you don't have a fresnel, get one.

The Linhof reflex viewer is in two parts and the smaller part fits inside the larger one when its disassembled so it doesn't take much room to pack it. Infact no more because I don't carry a dark cloth. Also the rear part is square so it can be fitted up, down, or on either side allowing you to have the camera higher if necessary and still be able to see into the viewer without a step ladder or where the camera is placed such that you need to be at one or other side of it.

Not much help if you don't have a Linhof, but if you are thinking of which camera to buy that has a viewer and doesn't need a dark cloth, then a Linhof is a good choice.