PDA

View Full Version : Filter to enhance mist/fog

Ron Marshall
7-Jun-2006, 12:46
The wratten #44, #47 are no longer available so I am considering the the B+W KB12 or the KB20 to enhance scenes with fog or mist.

I think the fog enhancing effect of the KB12 would be sufficient, and it would give me two thirds of a stop more light compared to the KB20? Their spectral curves are identical, just more dense for the 20.

Would anyone having experience with using either of these filters, or any others, to enhance fog please give me your take on this.

Eric Leppanen
7-Jun-2006, 13:23
The wratten #44, #47 are no longer available so I am considering the the B+W KB12 or the KB20 to enhance scenes with fog or mist.

I'm confused, why do you say that #47 filters are not available? Are you looking for a special size? Tiffen makes a #47 in round filter sizes, and Hitech makes a 4x4" #47 filter which I use in my Lee filter holders.

Ron Marshall
7-Jun-2006, 14:18
Eric, I should have specified that I'm looking for a multicoated filter.

Bob Salomon
7-Jun-2006, 17:13
Why not use a fog filter?

As for multi-coating that would help to reduce the effect. Soft focus, diffusion and fog type filters are usually not coaated to enhance the effect. Same with cross and star filters.

Helen Bach
7-Jun-2006, 19:19
How does a blue filter enhance fog and mist? Haze, yes, but that is different stuff.

I agree with Bob.

Best,
Helen

Ron Marshall
8-Jun-2006, 06:29
Thanks Helan, I stand corrected. I looked it up; the scattering of visible light in fog is not very wavelength dependent:

Debye or Mie is an elastic scattering mechanism which occurs from relatively large particles or molecules with dimensions comparable with the wavelength of the incident radiation or larger and the resulting scattered radiation is non-uniform. The effect is not very wavelength dependent. This process gives rise to the white scattered light seen in clouds or fog.