PDA

View Full Version : Latest Smith/Chamlee Workshop in PA

Robert McClure
6-Jun-2006, 13:15
I just attended the Michael Smith/Paula Chamlee Workshop (5-26 thru 5-28) at the photographers' home in Eastern Pennsylvania. Michael Smith was the Sultan of Simplicity when it came to photography. Paula Chamlee taught about "seeing what is there." I may have been missing this. When asked what made a good photograph, Michael Smith said, "If it looks good to me." He doesn't own a densitometer. His cameras and lenses are no more interesting to him than a hammer and nails.

Without directly challenging my own notions of what makes a good photograph the couple truly challenged me. I really liked their own work, but realized the issue is to develop my own personal vision. I had long been stuck on trying to make pretty, visually interesting photographs. I see more clearly now why I have been frustrated. I was encouraged to continue in my present, personal vein, but to think a little larger.

That may seem a little vague, but then I am trying to get words around notions that
may defy description. After all, I know what I mean. Better to keep making photographs and to become, as Michael said, the best photographer I can be.

Mike Davis
6-Jun-2006, 14:54
I had the opportunity to attend the "Vision and Technique" workshop last fall along with several other occasional posters to the various photo lists (Mike Lopez, Herb Cunningham, Amund Blix, Paul Palletti) and others.

I agree that there is alot to get your mind around. I have told many people over the past 8 months that I learned more in those three days than in any photo class I've taken. It really is amazing how simple Michael and Paula make it.

Just be careful not to spend so much time thinking about it that you don't shoot.

Mike Davis

Bill_1856
6-Jun-2006, 15:28
I think that it's been 5 years since I did their in-home workshop, and have to say that it was one of the best photographic experiences that I've ever had. Even though our techniques are 180 degrees apart, (I usually shoot hand-held and crop the heck out of the negative, while they work with cameras on tripod and contact print), it was an incredibly good battery-charging event. Michael and Paula are extrordinary people, teachers, and hosts.

Brian Ellis
6-Jun-2006, 16:21
It's been about six years for me. I thought it was a very good workshop, not the best I've ever taken but very good nonetheless. The single best part for me (best in the sense that I learned something I continue to use to this day) was Paula's segment about not looking only at the composition that you think you want but at everything up, down, and sidewise around it, also Michael's demonstration of a similar concept.

Mike H.
6-Jun-2006, 21:42
They gave their workshop earlier this year in Sedona and I got to attend. One of the things that reassured me in taking their workshop was that it was OK to go on a trip somewhere and NOT take a photo. In other words, the experience is just as great as the resulting images captured. They never go back to the same spot to take an image they missed, and they never sit around waiting for hours for "just the right light". I used to feel really guilty when I went out for the day and never took a LF image. Now I enjoy the trip regardless.

Daniel Grenier
7-Jun-2006, 17:01
A couple years back for me... highly recommended... and Paula is such a Sweetheart!

Amund BLix Aaeng
8-Jun-2006, 01:16
I agree with everything above, they made LF-photography much easier for me, with their "no rocket science" approach. And they are really nice hosts and persons.

As soon as I get my finances together I`m going to buy a bunch of Lodima paper and Amidol.

G Benaim
4-Aug-2006, 06:46
The single best part for me (best in the sense that I learned something I continue to use to this day) was Paula's segment about not looking only at the composition that you think you want but at everything up, down, and sidewise around it, also Michael's demonstration of a similar concept.

I've been considering their workshop and was curious about this part of it. Could you give a better description of what they do in the 'seeing' portion of the workshop? Thanks.

jshanesy
4-Aug-2006, 07:24
Could you give a better description of what they do in the 'seeing' portion of the workshop? Thanks.

No. That's what makes it so valuable. Trying to describe this is like trying to describe to the chained people in Plato's parable of the cave just what it looks like outside.