PDA

View Full Version : Drying out Gitzo G1325 legs?

David_Senesac
6-Jun-2006, 10:01
Here is a little problem I'm guessing many others Gitzo owners have dealt with and likely owners of other brand tripods. I own the graphite G1325 GK. Sometimes water gets up inside the legs when setting up in water and or I wash off the legs. That causes the 3-section legs to expose wetness each time they are moved in and out. Since the tolerances are so close with the tightening sleeves, the water does not easily escape. One can turn it upsidedown or swing it about with centrifugal motion to no avail. After a Utah desert trip last spring, a lot of dust got up inside, so I disassembled, cleaned, and re-assembled the legs. Thus am aware what is inside. However that takes too much time and effort to bother with just to dry the insides. The best strategy I use is to put the tripod out in the sun a few hours to evaporate it out. What about the rest of you? Any interesting tricks? ...David

Eric James
6-Jun-2006, 12:50
I just take mine completely apart - rinse off any grit - wipe it dry or let it dry overnight, and reassemble. The leg sections unscrew by loosening ad nauseum; also remove and wipe off the c-shaped washers.

resummerfield
6-Jun-2006, 12:53
I just take mine completely apart..... I agree. I don't think there is a "quick" way to do the job properly.

Jack Flesher
6-Jun-2006, 13:13
Ditto -- I take mine all the way apart too.

Jay Wolfe
6-Jun-2006, 19:01
I spilled coffee in my favorite calculator last year. I left it on top of the radiator (portable-oil filled type) and it dryed out and works fine now. This might work for a damp tripod.