PDA

View Full Version : Wista SP Lens Range

Scott Rosenberg
6-Jun-2006, 06:37
looking for a bit of information from the Wista SP users amongst us...

1. What is the range, shortest and longest non-tele, on flat boards, that can be used on the SP in its stock configuration?
2. What is the shortest lens that can be used with the WA bellows on a flat board?
3. What is the longest lens that can be used with the extensions on a flat board?

thanks!
scott

Frank Petronio
6-Jun-2006, 09:06
I could just barely get an old 65/8 Angulon to focus in a recessed board. I know that is an oddball response (but most of mine are). I don't know about the long end, I mostly used 90-210 when I had it and was happy with the moderate range - I even studio product with the 210 and had enough bellows for wine labels, sunglasses, and such (not 1:1 but close).

How many cameras have you been through now? Have they found a cure? (I'm still looking)

Bob Salomon
6-Jun-2006, 10:13
Scott,

1 65mm with recessed board and wide angle bellows is possible. The mnimum bellows draw on the Sp is 90mm.

On the long end there are several extensions. The longest extension and bellows for the SP is an 800mm extension bed and a 900mm long bellows. The standard bed and bellows is 12" and the Extended Lensboard set adds more extension as do accessory rings to extend the extension Board set.

The limiting factor to the longest lens is will the rear element fit through the hole in the front standard? If the rear element is larger then 80mm it probably will not mount on the camera. So with 800mm of bed and 900mm of bellows and the Extension Lensboard you could not mount a 360 Sironar or Symmar type lens. But you could mount a T Nikkor.

Scott Rosenberg
6-Jun-2006, 10:55
frank, i don't find owning running shoes, light hiking boots, heavy hiking boots, dress shoes, sandals, etc, any stranger than owning several different cameras. i would no sooner go hiking in dress shoes than i'd take an arca on a multi-day overnight in the woods. for every job, there's a proper tool.

bob, thanks for the info.

scott

Roberto Manderioli
7-Jun-2006, 03:15
Scott,
I use a 75mm w/ recessed board on mine, not without small limitations but can still do some movements (need to drop the bed for vertical shots).
On the long end, I use a 300mm with a 2 inches extension (can also be used without the extension but just barely).
So I would say a sensible range can be 75-300 but with recessed/extended boards.
With flat boards only I would say 90-300 (no near focus shots w/ the 300 though).
Ciao

Mark Carney
7-Jun-2006, 05:04
Scott

I have the same setup as Roberto.
A 75mm on a recessed board and a 305 with an extension.
I believe you could shoot a 300 at infinity on a flat board.
I also shoot an old 90mm on a flat board without any problems.
Mar

Scott Rosenberg
7-Jun-2006, 05:31
thanks, fellas... will the wide angle bellows allow one to go any shorter than 75?

Kirk Keyes
7-Jun-2006, 09:02
Scott -

What are your thoughts on why a Wista instead of a Technika? You've get a longer bellows draw with the Technika and the same practical wide range as the Wista. (I use a 75 on a recess and a 355 on a Tech IV.)

Scott Rosenberg
7-Jun-2006, 10:32
kirk, i'm just looking for an alternative to use as my compact travel/hiking camera. the rear movements on the technika are less than ideal imho. so, i was exploring other options - compact yet rigid as a technika and able to cover 58 - 450mm. the walker titan sf looks promising on paper, but they are impossible to find to handle.

Roberto Manderioli
7-Jun-2006, 11:09
thanks, fellas... will the wide angle bellows allow one to go any shorter than 75?

The minimum draw limitation is in the mechanism, not in the crushed standard bellows. With the bag bellows you will get more freedom in the movements but not the ability to mount a shorter lens (for which you need a recessed panel).
Hope it helps
Ciao

Scott Rosenberg
7-Jun-2006, 11:25
thanks for clearing that up, roberto. looks like the wist is not for me, as i can't use recessed boards and do enjoy shooting shorter than 75mm.

Frank Petronio
7-Jun-2006, 13:16
It's really the focal flange distance that matters, and different lens designs (even at the same focal length - say 75mm) can require different amounts of extension for infinity focus.

A good question might be, which 75mm (or wider) lenses have a larger flange distance, allowing more practical use on field cameras?

The SP is a good, lighter alternative to the Technika. The back movements are easier but the microswing is kind of goofy. The VX seems to be the same without the silly hardware.

Scott Rosenberg
7-Jun-2006, 14:11
thanks for the bit on the wista, frank. good point on the focal flange distances, too. i thought for comparable focal lengths, most modern lenses were within a mm or two of the cited focal length - i'll have to check that out for my lenses.

David Karp
7-Jun-2006, 17:04
Scott,

The Ebony camera website has a table that includes all the flange to focal length distances for Rodenstock, Fujinon, Nikon and Schneider lenses here: http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/lenses.html

It looks like the 75s actually have a flange to focal length that exceeds their nominal focal length. In fact, the chart shows that they usually exceed 80mm! Never even thought about this issue at the short end, but often thought about it when thinking about long lenses.

Hope this helps.

Ole Tjugen
7-Jun-2006, 17:24
... for every job, there's a proper tool. ...
In 4x5", that's the Carbon Infinity. If you can find one.

steve simmons
8-Jun-2006, 05:56
I usually suggest that the bellows be longer than the longest lens that will be used by at least 25%. Otherwise you are limited to subjects at or close to infinity. Is it possible to use something shorter than 90mm w/o a bag bellows - yes, but not very convenient (the exception seems to be the Canham DLC)

Just my thoughts

steve simmons

Bob Salomon
8-Jun-2006, 06:10
"(the exception seems to be the Canham DLC)"

The exception would be the Master Technika 2000 whose bellows easily allows the use of the 35mm Apo Grandagon!

steve simmons
8-Jun-2006, 06:45
Thanks for the correction Bob

steve simmons

Kirk Keyes
9-Jun-2006, 11:32
"(the exception seems to be the Canham DLC)"

The exception would be the Master Technika 2000 whose bellows easily allows the use of the 35mm Apo Grandagon!

Scott - don't you have an MT 2000?

Jean-Louis Llech
16-Jun-2006, 01:15
Theoretically speaking, the Wista SP has a minimum extension of 51mm, and a maximum extension of 300mm.
About the bag bellows, you must be careful, because they have different models :
1°) The first bag bellows (#4541) allows 25mm to 150mm extension. But the Wista recessed lensboard #4544 can't be fitted on it.
2°) The bag bellows #4541 can be used with the wideangle lensboard #4544. This specific lensboard is inserted between the camera front standard and the bag bellows. Lenses from 65-75 focal length and shutter #0 can be mounted.
3°) You can also use the short track #4553 (100mm length) with the bag bellows and mount a 47mm lens on recessed lensboard.

About long lenses Wista has 3 extension rails :
- Telemacro rail #4576 (flange distance 450mm) with extension bellows #4542 (600mm)
- Telemacro rail #4577 (flange distance 550mm) which requires also the #4542 extension bellows.
- Telemacro rail #4578 (flange distance 800mm) which requires the extra long extension bellows #4543 (900mm)

IMO the stability of the camera/lens seems uncertain, and you would probably need a second tripod or a supporting arm (like the former Bogen product) to hold such an extension and weight.

Jean-Louis Llech
16-Jun-2006, 01:38
Scott,
The Wista SP has a minimum extension of 51mm, and a maximum extension of 300mm.

About the bag bellows, there are 2 models of the #4541 bag bellows. The former one did not accept the Wista recessed lensboard #4544, while the recent #4541 model accepts it.
The #4544 lensboard is a deep recessed lensboard (with open sides to reach the shutter controls), and is inserted between the camera front standard and the bag bellows. Lenses from 65-75 focal length on shutter #0 can be mounted. Wista says that the bag bellows allows 25mm to 150mm extension.

There is also another accessory which I don't know : a short track #4553 (100mm length), which, with the #4541 bag bellows could mount a 47mm lens on a recessed lensboard, Wista says.

About long lenses Wista has 3 extension rails :
- Telemacro rail #4576 (flange distance 450mm) needs extension bellows #4542 (600mm)
- Telemacro rail #4577 (flange distance 550mm) requires the same #4542 extension bellows.
- Telemacro rail #4578 (flange distance 800mm) requires the extra-long extension bellows #4543 (900mm)

IMO the stability of the camera/lens with a 600 to 800 mm extension seems really uncertain. You would probably need either a second tripod or a supporting arm (like the former Bogen product) to hold such an extension and weight.