PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Lens Dilemna, Keep or Return?

Andre Noble
5-Jun-2006, 17:44
I just received a new Nikkor 90 SW f4.5 along with a new Nikkor 120 SW f4.5.Friday

I tested them both carefully over the weekend on Ilford Pan F in a roll film back developed in Pyrocat HD with a Mamiya 12x loupe. I found the Nikkor SW 90 somewhat short-of-satisfying in terms of critical sharpness, while the Nikkor 120 is definitely a keeper there. The 120 even performed close to my Rodenstock 150 Sironar-S, and with it's huge 312mm image circle, is a no brainer - I'm very happy with it.

Regarding the 90's sharpness, it's not a 'dog' by any stretch, but it's clearly not as good as the 120, or even a Nikkor SW 90 f8 I used to own.

I figure a heavy lens like this out to give me either 1) unsurpassed sharpness, or 2) unsurpassed image circle if i'm going to be enthused to take it anywhere.

Furthermore, the lens arrived new from B&H this Friday with a few minor peculiaritites, out of the box:

1)The Serial Number on the box/invoice didn't match the serial number on the lens.

2) There was a extremely tiny burr on the rear cell barrell mating surface that prevented the rear and front cell barrells from seating 100% flush to each other. (I very very carefully took the burr down, and surfaces now mate perfectly, and then I conducted the lens test AFTER doing so.)

3) The "70mm" rear lens cap was made more like "71mm" and slips right off the rear of the lens. Fortunately, I have a spare 70mm cap that fits properly.

What should I do? My sole issue is with it's optical performance right now, the other issues are secondary.

Should I send lens back to store and request exchange for identical Nikkor SW 90 f4.5 hoping for a better sample?

Should I use store credit (assuming B&H accepts the return) and apply it towards the larger image circle Schneider 90 XL and hope for the best in terms of that lenses critical sharpness - even though this lens costs twice (~$1700) what I paid new for the Nikkor ($900)?

Should I keep lens, as I'm being too fussy?

If money was no object, I'd be inclined towards the 90XL because of use later on 5x7. I just have no experience with Schneider LF lenses other than what I read on forums on the web that the Schneider 90XL is on a par optically with the Nikkor 90 f4.5. I am a big fan of architectural photography, so the movement means alot. i just don't know if the extra 24mm of image circle is worth the extra $800.

Any insights/ suggestions appreciated.

Eric James
5-Jun-2006, 17:53
It sounds as though someone pulled a fast one on B&H and they are returning the favor - send it back and demand a partial refund on shipping and total refund on return shipping.

Recently the B&H Nikon LF lens inventory increased greatly - even after the announcement of DCing the lens line - I suspect that there might be a number of duds that are working their way through the system. It would certainly be worth a try to get it replaced with a good sample. I can't imagine why they wouldn't accept the return.

Was it USA or grey?

Ralph Barker
5-Jun-2006, 17:54
Unless it was purchased "used, as-is", I'd certainly return the lens to B&H, following their protocol for doing so. As to what to replace it with, that's tough. If you liked the specs of the lens in the first place, I'd try another example of the same lens. There is a chance it will not be up to snuff, too, but that's fairly rare.

Andre Noble
5-Jun-2006, 18:06
It was definitely brand spanking new, also a Grey Market Import purchase. Also, most photogs would not be so critical as me to return this lens for performance. It's not a total optical dud, but definitely a dud as Eric states in terms of the burr, the ill fitting lens cap and the mis-matched serial numbers.

Jim Rice
5-Jun-2006, 20:03
I had a simular experience with B&H several years ago. Give them a call, they'll ask you to write a note about what the problems are and send you a better example. It still left a bad taste in my mouth, which has not fully diminished. Oh hell, it hasn't diminished much at all.....they sell you boxes, if your box happens to have a lens in it it's cool.....if not, that's why they have customer service folks.

Ron Marshall
5-Jun-2006, 20:09
I have done a couple of returns for a full refund with B&H, used equipment though, and both times the reason I gave was optical imperfections, which they accepted without question.

Eric Leppanen
5-Jun-2006, 20:35
I think you should have a lens that you are completely happy with.

I suggest you return the lens to B&H for a full refund (the issues you've cited are more than enough justification), and then get in touch with Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com). He is showing in stock a 9++ rated used Nikkor 90SW for $750, and a new SA90XL (presumably grey market) for $1,450. I suggest discussing your requirements with Jim and see what he recommends. He may even ship you both lenses for comparison testing, so you can keep the one you prefer.

Andre Noble
5-Jun-2006, 21:06
Thanks all for your inputs. It's helped me make a decision. I am going to ship the Nikkor 90 SW f4.5 back to B&H, ask them for full refund. I think I will get the Schneider 90 XL eventually, but not until after a few months when I can meditate on it, light some incense, pray for a good sample, etc, etc.

In the meantime, I'm going for an easy slam dunk - I'm using the store credit for a Rodenstock Apo Sironar S 210 lens.

So I will then have a Rodenstock Apo Grandagon 55, a Rodenstock Sironar S 's 150 and 210, and finally a Nikkor 120 SW, which I already like a lot just after one test!

I agree one must be completely satisfied with a LF lens purchase. I didn't WANT to return the 90.

Brian Ellis
5-Jun-2006, 22:43
If you return it make sure you do it fast, don't let the B&H return period go by (and the return period for B&H used to be only 7 days so you need to act quickly). If you don't return it within that time frame theyvery well may tell you to pound sand even if it's defective. At least that's what they did to me with a defective scanner that I tried to get working properly and so let the 7 days go by. The guy I dealt with, Henry Posner, was a total jerk. Which is why I stopped dealing with B&H years ago.

archivue
6-Jun-2006, 04:20
buy a schneider 80 xl instead !

Chuck Pere
6-Jun-2006, 05:01
I hope they take it back with no problems. It may be hard to prove that this is the lens they sold you when the invoice and box show a different serial number. They may think that you're the one trying to return a defective lens they didn't sell you.

Andre Noble
6-Jun-2006, 06:21
Chuck, I thought of that too. I called them this morning and they gave a go ahead and a RMA number for the return. When they pull up my name, they see about 50 orders. Knock on wood, I've been treated great by them.

I thought about replacing it with the Schneider 80 XL, but I love architecture too much and would quickly be frustrated by it's image circle. 212mm (or there abouts) doesn't cut it. It's more of a landscaper's lens, I think.

CXC
6-Jun-2006, 10:44
If you are not happy with the lens now, I doubt you will ever be happy with it. Dump it.

David Karp
6-Jun-2006, 12:00
I agree. Return it. Never had a problem with B&H. They have always returned anything I wanted them to take back, no difficulties. This was true even when it was because I did not like something as much as I thought I would, no defects or other issues. I buy mostly from MPEX now, but always had good experiences with B&H.

Gregory Gomez
6-Jun-2006, 13:45
I would return the lens.

I have just purchased three Nikon large format lenses from B&H, and all of them were perfect. Additionally, I purchased two Nikon camera bodies and five 35mm manual focus lenses from them this past year, and all of them were perfect too.

Sometimes, we get a dud. But do return the lens today; don't wait. You have to do what will make you the happiest. You will never like the lens, and it will bother you every time you use it.

Joseph O'Neil
6-Jun-2006, 13:56
Interesting - especially the non-matching serial number. People sometimes do strange things. A bit off the path of LF lenses, but I know a custom telescope maker in California who will NOT honour warranty work on his telescopes if they purchased second hand. He had a situation where somebody bought one of his telescopes used, found it didn't perform as expected, and returned it "under warranty" as it was only a few months old.

What he found in that circumstance was somebody - probally a previous owner - had gone in, removed the orignal lens set, and replaced it a lens set of same physical specs - size and focal length - but of much lesser and cheaper optical quality.

Not saying this is what happened here, but because your serial number does not match the box, I suspect something like this *could* of happened. One wild possibility - somebody had an older Nikkor and bought a new one from B&H, swapped lenses, and returned the older one, and nobody checked. I've seen stranger things myself.

For what it is worth, the last two, used, LF lenses I bought used in the past year, both in original boxes, both from dealers - the serial number on box and lens were matching in each case.

joe

Capocheny
6-Jun-2006, 22:15
Andre,

You've got the RMA to return the merchandise... don't wait to long!

Hop on it now and return it. As Chris said, "if you're not happy with it now... you'll never be happy with it!"

Cheers

JW Dewdney
8-Jun-2006, 21:09
I dunno. Maybe I'm the only one here. I don't usually expect my first lens purchase to be the 'keeper'. LF lenses are notoriously variable - just look at Chris Perez' charts. I'm sure you'd see at least the same variability had he tested five samples of the exact same lens. Of course, the practices of B&H, Adorama and the like tend to increase this. I remember buying my first new lens at Adorama while on a trip to NYC in 1985 or so... it was a 180mm Symmar or Sironar (can't remember) - but I was ABOUT to walk out with the thing - and was just struck with a sudden intuitive urge to check the goods before I left. Sho' nuff - there was a half inch PLUS hunk of glass missing from the rear element! How the HELL that happened I'd never guess. But I'm pretty sure it didn't leave the factory in germany that way!

Anyway - that's a side story. But you should return the lens for an identical (in name only) replacement and this time INSIST that the numbers match up. See what you get. I'll bet you it'll be worth it. Nikkors are killer lenses, IMHO.

Jonathan

Andre Noble
8-Jun-2006, 22:20
I dunno. Maybe I'm the only one here. I don't usually expect my first lens purchase to be the 'keeper'...

My 'reject rate' overall on lenses is a little above 10%. It's a pain in the neck to have to return a lens, but once you make the decision, you feel beter.

BTW, the Nikkor 90 is on it's way back.

Andre Noble
13-Jun-2006, 20:26
Well it turns out this Nikkor 90 SW reject lens was cursed after all. I sent it back to B&H via UPS ground, insured. The train it was on got derailed. "THE PACKAGE IS DELAYED DUE TO A TRAIN DERAILMENT"

UPS has no furhter information on this.

Bob Gentile
13-Jun-2006, 20:53
Well it turns out this Nikkor 90 SW reject lens was cursed after all. I sent it back to B&H via UPS ground, insured. The train it was on got derailed. "THE PACKAGE IS DELAYED DUE TO A TRAIN DERAILMENT"

UPS has no furhter information on this.Train derailment? Wow! "Cursed" sounds like an understatement.

Andre Noble
13-Jun-2006, 22:28
Bob, and it was somewhere in New Jersey too!

"(The Associated Press circulated the following article on June 13.)

NEWARK, N.J. -- Part of a CSX Corp. freight train derailed Monday as it was heading toward Port Newark, a Conrail spokesman said.

No one was injured, and passenger trains were not affected since the Conrail track involved is only used by freight trains, said the spokesman, John Enright.

Nine cars of the 50-car train left the tracks, Enright said. The flatbed cars were carrying shipping containers, none of which contained hazardous material, he said.

"There is no environmental significance to it," Enright said. "It may affect a couple of our other trains."

The cause of the derailment was not immediately determined, he said."

Oren Grad
14-Jun-2006, 07:43
But Andre, if the AP reporter had checked with you, he would have found out that the statement "none of which contained hazardous material" may not be correct... ;)

Bob Gentile
14-Jun-2006, 08:16
"...Bob, and it was somewhere in New Jersey too...!"Yeah... it figgers! Ha!

"... The cause of the derailment was not immediately determined, he said..."Probably the first time in human history that a cursed shutter caused something like this.

Andre Noble
26-Jun-2006, 11:05
...But you should return the lens for an identical (in name only) replacement and this time INSIST that the numbers match up. See what you get. I'll bet you it'll be worth it. Nikkors are killer lenses, IMHO.

Jonathan

Good advice. Had a ring of truth to it, so I followed it.

For a final update: B&H sent me a new Nikon SW 90 f4.5, which is phenomenally sharp after testing whose serial number even matches the one on the box:) .

I am happy.

Amund BLix Aaeng
26-Jun-2006, 11:56
Good advice. Had a ring of truth to it, so I followed it.

For a final update: B&H sent me a new Nikon SW 90 f4.5, which is phenomenally sharp after testing whose serial number even matches the one on the box:) .

I am happy.

Great! Nice to hear you ended up happy.