PDA

View Full Version : Light weight 4x5 field tripod.

Kirk Gittings
5-Jun-2006, 09:18
I haven't looked at buying a new tripod in twenty+ years.

What is the lightest tripod I can get that will take a Bogen 3047 head (I need interchangeability with my monorail setup) and adequately hold a 4x5 field camera.

I need to really travel light for my England trip and the VC conference is a good opportunity to view a few and get some bargains.

Eric Biggerstaff
5-Jun-2006, 09:29
Kirk,

I use a Gitzo 1325 CF and a Bogen 410 geared head for my Zone VI and I have really enjoyed it. The Gitzo says it will support up to 26.5 lbs ( who knows, but I have no problems). The Bgen 3047 head should work fine as I used that head for many years.

This is a nice light system for me.

Have fun in England.

tim atherton
5-Jun-2006, 09:37
Kirk - I also use a Gitzo 1325 (along with a markins smallest sized ballhead) for 8x10 up to about 10lbs and quite easily with a Techikardan or Toyo 45

In fact fofiled use wih the 4x5 stuff, it's far more than adequate and I could get away with a lighter/smaller gitzo set

Kirk Gittings
5-Jun-2006, 09:58
Has anyone used the Gitzo G-1257G Mountaineer Reporter. is it too light? The compressed size is very attractive at about 2 feet.

I like a tripod that sets up about at eye level without the center column extended.

Oren Grad
5-Jun-2006, 10:27
Kirk, at the moment I have my 3047 attached to a Bogen 3001 leg set. I put them together for a trip - I was able to fit the legs and head (as separate pieces) into my roller suitcase along with my other junk. The 3001 leg set certainly isn't the most robust in the world, but it's reasonably solid. I've used it in the field with my Horseman VH, which is a load comparable to what you'd have with a lightweight 4x5 wood-field like a Tachihara. And it's light (< 4 lb) and cheap (< $100).

Eric Biggerstaff
5-Jun-2006, 10:29
I got the 1325 as I wanted to make sure it would support most anything I would place on it in the future. I am 5 foot 9 inches, so the extended length of the 1325 is fine for me. I very rarely extend the center column when I photograph but when I do I find the non-geared column works well. I think all of these tripods are very nice and would work for you, I wish the anti-rotation tubing was available when I purchased mine (perhaps it was and I did not know, but it seems like a nice feature).

I switched heads from the 3047 that I used for years as I wanted something that did not have handles sticking out as they would snag when I packed the tripod. The Bogen 410 fit my way of working fine and it is nice and compact. If you are buying a new set of legs you might want to consider looking at a different head as well ( even though I know your current head is great).

Have fun!

Ted Harris
5-Jun-2006, 11:01
Kirk,

Search earlier threads on this subject and specifically on the Linhoff Profi II. I got one at Bob Salomon's pleased. It meets my primary requirement of being short enough to transport inside a rollaboard carryon case and it easily supports my Toyo AII. It's only drawbackis that it is a bit short fully extended without using the center column but a good tradeoff as far as I am concerned.

Kirk Gittings
5-Jun-2006, 11:23
Eric,

I like all my equipment to interchange without much effort or thinking. The KISS principle always. I like the big hexagon hex plate of the 3047 for eveything, my rail camera, the field camera, hassleblad and 35mm. I have used the 3047 for 25+ years or so and love it. When traveling out of a suitcase, I just unscrew the handles.

Eric Biggerstaff
5-Jun-2006, 11:26
Well there you go! :-)

Kirk Gittings
5-Jun-2006, 11:35
I used a 3021 for a few years (till a pack horse in Canyon de Chelly decided to ram it into some passing rocks renduring it unusual), but found it lacking in many ways.

I curently use a Bogen3251/3047 for commercial work and wouldn't trade it for anything.

What about the Bogen carbon fibers?

Bruce Watson
5-Jun-2006, 12:09
The Bogen 3047 is a fairly lightweight head IIRC - good for a camara in the 7.5 Kg range, yes? You might be able to get away with the Gitzo 1227.

I've been using one for about four years now. Admittedly, my camera is extremely light weight (Toho, less than 1.25 Kg). But the tripod is quite rigid. I've never lost a shot due to motion or camera shake that I could blame on the tripod (I do have a 90 second exposure taken on soggy ground with some motion blur due to my moving around the tripod, but I can hardly blame that on the tripod. It's more a problem of my being restless!).

IMHO, most people buy more tripod than they need. It can't fail because overkill never does. But why lug around more weight than you need to? The price of going overkill with a tripod is shorter hiking distances, and being more tired as you set up and work the camera. Being tired is a receipe for making mistakes. So... I think you should look at using the least amount of tripod you can if you are going to hike any distance at all with it.

That said, if you are doing the car thing, it doesn't matter as much. In that case, I'd go for less expensive.

Sorry I don't know anything about the Bogen CF line. I've never even seen one.

Ron Marshall
5-Jun-2006, 12:19
I also use the Gitzo 1227, with the Acratach ball head, and find it sturdy enough for my Sinar, though I mostly use it with the Toho. I have removed the center column and replaced it with the Markins base to increase stability.

Kirk Gittings
5-Jun-2006, 12:32
"replaced it with the Markins base to increase stability"

What is this?

CXC
5-Jun-2006, 12:33
I think the Gitzo 13xx models are slightly overkill for 4x5, so I always recommend the G1228, which is plenty for my 4x5, and in fact I've even used it with 8x10 in a pinch.

reellis67
5-Jun-2006, 13:21
I've used that same setup for over 20 years and it's still going strong. It works well with my Korona 4x5 as well as various MF gear and the miniature stuff too.

- Randy

Bill_1856
5-Jun-2006, 13:22
Light weight??? I just checked B&H and a Bogan 3047 head by itself weighs nearly 5 pounds. What in #$%$#$'s name do you mean "light weight?"

Scott Davis
5-Jun-2006, 13:54
Kirk -

I have a Bogen 443 CF legset (not sure what the current equivalent model is), and it has been wonderful. IIRC, you're a little bit taller than me, so you too would need the center column at times. This is not a big deal, as it is quite stable when used at less than half extension of the center column. I have it coupled to a Gitzo 1276m head, which works great with my Shen Hao, and anything smaller/lighter. I tested out my Calumet C-1 8x10 on it with a 3039 head, and even with that massive load, it held its own. I wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis, but for short-term useage, it worked fine.

Merg Ross
5-Jun-2006, 14:58
Kirk- I suspect that the 3047 head on the 3021 legs would be a bit top heavy; perhaps that contributed to your dislike of the 3021 legs. I use a 329 low profile quick release head on the 3021 legs with good success (with a Toyo AX).

Have a grand trip. I may not be far behind you.

Hening Bettermann
5-Jun-2006, 16:23
"replaced it with the Markins base to increase stability"

What is this?

This http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/category.php?req=4

kind regards - Hening

Michael Daily
5-Jun-2006, 16:28
I have been using a Giotto CF tripod 8180 (rated 26.5 lbs), weighs 5.73 lbs. I have a Bogen 3042 head but find that it does not hold my DD 8x10 well. I used a Marchioni Tiltall for many years with a Busch 4x5 D, and a couple of years ago I removed the center col. and made a 1/4-20 mounting plate for it to save weight. It works OK for up to 5x7--a little awkward for set-up, but carrying everything in Europe made saving every ounce necessary. The Giotto is all that it is advertized to be, holds the 8x10, has 3/8 and 1/4-20 threads, and is just as light.
Michael

palantiri7
5-Jun-2006, 17:22
It is with great shame that I come out of the closet and admit to using a Gitzo G1228 Mk II for my Arca-Swiss 8x10 metric. :o Upon the shortened centre column sits an Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead. This tripod does not vibrate at all. However, the 8x10 monster sitting on this combo certainly doesn't look good, proportionally speaking. Nevertheless, I am still waiting to see an unsharp slide made so by tripod vibration.

Bruce Watson
5-Jun-2006, 17:57
Light weight??? I just checked B&H and a Bogan 3047 head by itself weighs nearly 5 pounds. What in #$%$#$'s name do you mean "light weight?"
Oh, ouch. It's been quite awhile since I touched one. What I remember was it's light capacity, as opposed to it's own physical weight. You are right - the head itself is heavy, and it's capacity is light.

I still suspect that it would work OK on a lightweight Gitzo. Like everything else though, YMMV. It depends on how you work, how much weight you stack on it, environmental conditions (wind, rain, etc.)...

Scott Rosenberg
5-Jun-2006, 18:37
kirk, i recently purchased what i feel is the nearly ideal travel tripod - the gitzo 1415 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=170810&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation). it compresses down to 19" and will support a staggering 26 pounds. the uppermost leg sections are a full 1.5 inches in diameter - it is one stout set of legs. i was recently out shooting with a friend of mine and he said it felt like it was nailed to the ground! it might be overkill for a lightweight 4x5, but having gone though several lightweight tripods, i'll take an extra pound or two for the increased stability and dampening any day.

Frank Petronio
5-Jun-2006, 19:06
Compared to most of the combos suggested on this thread, Scott's 1415 is almost as extreme as Palantiri's 8x10 Arca M on a 1228.

But if we really want to upgrade Kirk's gear, we have to ditch the big Bogen hex plates. Open the wallet. Go Arca. They really are better for many good reasons.

Of course, then the tripod mounting plates and accessories might be worth more than Kirk's camera ;-) ! and the cycle of purchasing and consumption could go on and on... It helps the economy Kirk, dig in.

You might just want to buy a cheap Bogen legset in England and swap it for a print from a new buddy at the end of your trip...

Kirk Gittings
5-Jun-2006, 19:18
Having looked at the Markins base site, I still can't quite figure out what it does???

palantiri7
5-Jun-2006, 19:39
The Gitzo 1228 tripod does not have a base plate to mount a head; the centre column is not removable. So, any head one mounts sticks up from the legs about 2 inches, being precariously supported by a short bit of column with its plastic mount. The Markins attachment allows one to remove the column and replace it with, essentially, a base plate and thus lower the centre of gravity of the tripod/camera combination. Below is a picture of a G1228 with Arca-Swiss B1 attached. Note the B1 being supported quite a ways above the legset even with the column retracted.

Scott Rosenberg
5-Jun-2006, 19:54
one thing i really love about the 1415 is that there's no center column... legs, base plate, head. AND, the legs open up wide enough to get right down to the ground.

Ron Marshall
5-Jun-2006, 19:57
Kirk, I have the base at the link that Hening posted. Very well made and much improves the stability of the 1227, especially with the Sinar, and no loss to me since I try never to use the center column.

Ron Marshall
5-Jun-2006, 20:02
Kirk, I just noticed your other post about the Markins base. It replaces the center-column, has a screw on top to which the head is attached, and a thread below to attach the equipment hook.

The standard mounting plate that the head attaches to on the 1227 is plastic and a bit flimsy. With the extra leverage from the tall mounting bracket on my Sinar it was very easy to deform the plate and induce vibrations. With the Markins base it is fine. I have even used by Sinar 5x7 on this set-up, but that is pushing it.

reellis67
6-Jun-2006, 06:00
In 20+ years I've never had with mine handling weight. It might not work for an 8x10 with big glass, but for 4x5 and smaller you'll have a hard time making it fail. It is, as stated above, not light in weight itself, but it will last forever. Mine has been up mountains, down caves, and all over the world and in all that time, not a single repair needed.

- Randy

Matus Kalisky
7-Jun-2006, 01:52
It seems that there is aready dedicated discussion going on here, but I would drop my two cents.
Just 2 moths ago I bought from HongKong a Gitzo clone from Benro: a carbon model M227 (for ~ $260 with shipping) which is supposed to be a copy of the Gitzo G1257. Please, I do not want to go into discussion of the ethics of buying a copy of something. I needed a lightweigh tripod that one can keep on his back all day long (I did already) and I just did not have those ~ $650 (in Germany) to get a real thing. These two tripods are optically and specification-wise very similar but they are just NOT the same. I can not say that I am not satisfied with it, but it gives me very fragile feeling when tightening the legs. One has to be carefull there. Once set up - it works nicely and for me is stable enough (up to now with Minola 7D + 70-210 lens without tripod collar - long heavy nose). Just few days ago I've put on my new Tachihara 45 and I thing it will be perfectely enough. I should mention that it is fitted with Novolex magicball 50 (the middle sized one).

I did not have a chance to make a direct comparison to G1257 but I had a brief look on some Gitzo carbon tripods and they are just better done and smoother. I also suppose they will last longer. If I would have money for it - I would get Gitzo. Othervise I am happy with my Benro. :)

JasonC
7-Jun-2006, 07:03
Anyone took a look at the Wolf's wooden tripods? They have a model that is rated at 26lb, only weight 4.9lb.

Jason.

Al Seyle
7-Jun-2006, 07:55
It is with great shame that I come out of the closet and admit to using a Gitzo G1228 Mk II for my Arca-Swiss 8x10 metric. :o Upon the shortened centre column sits an Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead. This tripod does not vibrate at all. However, the 8x10 monster sitting on this combo certainly doesn't look good, proportionally speaking. Nevertheless, I am still waiting to see an unsharp slide made so by tripod vibration.
I can't top this, but I do admit to planting my Arca B1/Technikardan on an unmodified 1228, purchased because it fit inside my carry-on bag readily. Excellent tripod. I agree "does not vibrate at all."!

Kirk Gittings
28-Jun-2006, 20:18
After looking at and playing with many tripods at the VC Conference, I restablished my annoyance with all knurled knob tripod legs. I have never liked them since I had a Tiltal (The Guillotine) back in 1970. Just my little prejudice. .....But I ran across one of the newer Bogen CF tripods that was someones personal tripod and I liked that alot. I purchased a Magfiber 055MF3 from Jim at Midwest. It is kind of an update of the old 3021 workhorse which I have owned a couple of times. Jim gave me a superb price on it and had it drop shipped to me after the conference. This is an amazingly rigid and versatile tripod for the price.

I am still contemplating heads.

Jim Ewins
28-Jun-2006, 22:35
I've used a 3047 on several manfrettos even on my B&J 8x10. I found that with a Berlebach wood I don't need a QRH using the leg positions instead and saving weight.

Greg Lockrey
29-Jun-2006, 05:19
Look at the Feisol brand. They are surprizingly good for the price and very light. http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

David A. Goldfarb
29-Jun-2006, 09:17
Anyone took a look at the Wolf's wooden tripods? They have a model that is rated at 26lb, only weight 4.9lb.

Jason.

I saw one in the used section of B&H not long ago, and it seemed like quite a decent tripod, comparable to Berlebach, but the one they had looked like it was a low-angle tripod with a maximum height of around 4 feet.

Kirk Gittings
29-Jun-2006, 12:11
In addition to Merg Ross, has anyne had any experience with the redesigned Manfrotto/Bogen 329 low profile quick release head?

jhogan
30-Jun-2006, 00:39
Kirk,

If you're still in the market for legs, I'd recommend looking at the Gitzo 1227, as a few before me have suggested. I'm 6'3" and with the column extended and camera on, it's just shy of eye level. The key is to get the hook for the center column- lock it down, hang your bag on it and all of a sudden you've got a 20 pound tripod...

It's a 3 section deal, which makes it easier to set up, albiet with a slight sacrifice in overall folded length. It's never presented a problem for me- I scored a Tumi "rolling duffel" bag that has a molded plastic base in which the tripod fits perfectly- somewhere around 26" long.

I use the 410 head, which I remove and roll into a t-shirt and nestle between stinky socks and boots.

It works pretty well for "checked bag" travel- not the ideal setup, but fine in practice. Cameras look sorta funny on the spindly legs, but I haven't had any problems that could be blamed on tripod instability. I bought it to use with the Mam7, but found myself using for plane travel, no matter the format. I have a couple of bricks with "Linhof" engraved on them, so my guess is that it'll work with what you're using. Remember, the key is the column hook- don't walk away from a camera without weight on the hook.

You may or may not want to get the neat-o Gitzo carrying case- it has room for the head and makes you look like you've got a rifle. Very cool in Europe.

If you're interested, get one now. Think they've been discontinued or something like that.

Armin Seeholzer
30-Jun-2006, 04:00
Gitzo 1228 is my one which is working good and holds my Horseman HF and a Sinar F1 easy!
If you do not look onto it is a big mistake!
I used it in the beginning also for my 8x10 B&J till I got my Wolf wood!

brucemcelya
30-Jun-2006, 09:53
Hello Kirk,

I borrowed a carbon Gitzo for a few days and found it kind of like metal and the consequent vibration. Not that good in a breeze either. Just my brief experience. What I have used for years and may forever is a Ries backpacker with their A250 head. Vitals: Weight with head/legs and cordura case – 11#, length with legs broken down – 29”. This tripod-head combination is the most solid platform I have ever used outside of an old 100 pound studio Majestic. I’m strictly 4x5, in windy gritty rainy places. Wood works. I don’t know if it’s light, but it’s pretty compact.

After looking at one of these in person, you may find their head to be a better choice than the Bogen for field use. The platform is big, and when everything is tightened, there can be no movement. It isn’t quite as versatile as a Bogen, but I haven’t been denied an image because of the Ries head. You may.

Reis: http://www.riestripod.com/index.html

I remember meeting you once, at Paletti’s place a few years back. It was one of the better shows he’s had through there. I was a little overboard with the truth serum during your talk. Apologies about that.

Best regards,
Bruce

David R Munson
30-Jun-2006, 14:47
I went out with the Linhof monorail this morning, shooting from a Bogen 3221 with a 3047 head. It's a big, heavy camera as 4x5s go, but the tripod had no complaints despite shooting in a river, on all sorts of oddly-placed rocks, etc. It took me seven years of hard use to finally break/wear out my old 3021, which I think says something about the quality. Yeah, seven years isn't all *that* long for a tripod to last, but I mean I beat the crap out of mine, and for $100 it didn't break the bank either. Damn good set of legs for the price, IMO.