PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Optar 162mm coverage?

Bill_1856
4-Jun-2006, 07:24
Will the 162mm Graflex Optar cover a 5x7 negative? Thanks.

John Kasaian
4-Jun-2006, 08:55
My 162mm Wollensak Velostigmat Series II f/4.5 isn't in lensboard right now but I held it up to a wall opposite a window and I'd have to say a definative "probably not" if the Velostigmat is the same lens as the Optar. If I have the time later I'll mount it on a C board and put it on the 5x7 just to be certain.

Joseph O'Neil
4-Jun-2006, 09:20
I've got a ilex paragon anastigmat in the 165mm (ish) range. These lenses in this size range, be they Optars, Ilex, Wollensaks, etc, are for the most part, as far as I know, are meant to cover 4x5 only.

I do find stopped down, my lens has movements. Head on, stopped down, and no movements, I am guessing it would cover 5x7 - but just barely.

If you have one of these lenses already, go ahead and try it. But if you are thinking of buying one to cover 5x7, I would look for something else. I forget where I saw the URL, but I remember looking up the stats for my lens, that at least for the Ilex series in the F4.5 range, that the size up one - mine is I think 6.25 inch, and i rember readin that there is one in the 7.5" range, and another around the 8.5" range too (and more of course.)

If memeroy serves me correctly, the 8.5" was designed to cover 5x7 for sure, but I think the 7.5" was too. Look for a lens in one of these series somewhere around the 190mm range (give or take)to cover 5x7.

joe

Mark Sampson
5-Jun-2006, 04:56
If you're looking for a wideangle for a 5x7, and want a "classic" American lens, find a 190mm Kodak Wide Field Ektar. It was designed for that purpose and will do nicely. Cheaper than a Dagor, as well.

John Kasaian
5-Jun-2006, 07:41
Alas, I haven't found the lensboard for the Wolly yet! Sorry 'bout that!