PDA

View Full Version : Ansel site revisited with Arca 6x9

Randall
3-Jun-2006, 18:02
Having read a number of posts here regarding Examples, The Making of 40 Photographs, I thought this may be of interest. I have been shooting a series for the last month or so, and have begun to work through and publish the first group of many files. The project involves the changing environment here on Maui. Nature, consumption, surplus, energy and erosion (both natural and human) are themes. Ansel (who had little fondness for our island) included a lovely shot in the above book, titled, Buddhist Grave Markers and Rainbow, Paia Maui, c. 1956. In recent years, the markers and the burial yard have been pulled at by oceanic erosion. The subject of the old photo, has largely fallen, and been smashed on the rocks below. Salvaged parts have been reassembled. This is one of many such markers that has fallen in this manner. 50 years after the taking of Ansel's photo, I revisited the site.

In a recent thread in this forum, we discussed the use of the Arca Swiss 6x9 with digital backs (P25) and tilt and swing. All of these were taken using that setup. Most use movements, many use multiple movements (plenty with "wrong way" tilt and swing).

The following site is in use to communicate to project participants. I will be adding to it intermittently. The "Markers" shots are mixed in with the group. Apologies in advance for any jpg artifacting, large files, and to Ansel, for mentioning him in a project without a "straight" intent.

www.randallstrome.com

Best,
Randall

Randall
4-Jun-2006, 09:13
Thanks for the PM Jim,
I added an advance button to clarify navigation from the home page. Thanks for the kind words.

Ralph Barker
4-Jun-2006, 10:23
Interesting images, Randall. I'll look forward to seeing more as the project progresses.

As to Ansel, he developed his signature style at a time when belonging to a "school" was essential. My guess is that he was intelliget enough to recognize that time is now past, and there's now room for alternative approaches. So, I doubt that he's spinning in his grave as a result of the reference. ;)

Randall
4-Jun-2006, 18:59
Agreed.

As a side note, Ansel did make one funny statement about Maui in his description about the making of this photo. He wrote, "Real and human termites abound." That one does get some chuckles over here.

palantiri7
5-Jun-2006, 08:38
I think those images are wonderful. My favourite 2: seascape scene and the crashed cars at the side of the roadway. Very huge dynamic range, I might add. Also love the 'reversed swing move' :cool:

Randall
5-Jun-2006, 09:17
I think those images are wonderful. My favourite 2: seascape scene and the crashed cars at the side of the roadway. Very huge dynamic range, I might add. Also love the 'reversed swing move' :cool:

The cars are of particular interest to this project in that the facility here that accepts cars for disposal was overwhelmed, and closed for almost a year. As such, people began abandoning cars in the most astounding places. Over 400 were on the sides of the roads at one point. Many were stripped, rolled in cane fields, and burned.

Thanks for the comments
Randall