PDA

View Full Version : Film Holder Tape

tim atherton
1-Jun-2006, 09:28
The question often comes up about rpelacment tape for filmholder flaps.

When this came up recently I couldn't remeber where I got mine from, but I just got an email from the supplier:

www.demco.com

but of course now I can't find which tape... I'll have to try and dig out the roll - it was 1/2" black and has lasted on all the repairs I've done over the last several years

Brian Ellis
1-Jun-2006, 10:21
Any black tape from Home Depot or similar store will work fine. You don't need anything special for a film holder, it's just a hinge. I've been using whatever was available and looked more or less like the original for years, sorry I don't remember the exact name but it's made by 3M. I have holders over ten years old and I've never had to retape.

Capocheny
1-Jun-2006, 22:36
Tim,

I've always liked using cloth bookbinders tape... it doesn't leave any sticky residue like some other tape sometime does. For example, some people like duct tape and that gets awfully sticky in hot weather.

Oh well... to each their own! :)

Cheers

sanking
3-Jun-2006, 06:21
Tim,

I've always liked using cloth bookbinders tape... it doesn't leave any sticky residue like some other tape sometime does. For example, some people like duct tape and that gets awfully sticky in hot weather.

Oh well... to each their own! :)

Cheers

I agree. The best tape by far for film holder flaps is bookbinder's tape. It does not leave any residue (like duct tape and electrical tape) and is very flexible, allowing the flap to open, and it is very strong and durable. Avoid duct tape because it oozes in heat and leaves a lot of residue. Gaffers tape is a lot better than duct tape, but it tends to be very stiff and may cause the flap to stand up which makes it difficult to load the film.

A good source for bookbinders tape is http://www.gaylord.com/
I wold recommend either their Film-o-plast tape or the plastic coated cloth tape, both with peel and stick self-adhesive back.

Sandy