PDA

View Full Version : Korona 8x10 question

reellis67
1-Jun-2006, 07:39
I got my 8x10 yesterday, but I found that it would not mount on my tripod properly because the mounting screw cannot reach the threads in the camera bottom. I'm using a Bogen 3028 head, which works fine with my 4x5 Korona, but for some reason, the tripod mount seems much deeper on the 8x10. If anyone has any suggestions for addressing this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't know how much longer I can stand waiting to make some negatives with this thing!

- Randy

John Kasaian
1-Jun-2006, 15:12
Randy,

Are you sure the female fitting isn't worn so much the threads aen't engaging? My Anny Speed Graphic arrived in that condition :-(

Have you tried mounting it without the tripod head?

Michael Daily
1-Jun-2006, 17:12
You might try replacing the camera mounting fitting with a different one. I had a couple of Korona 5x7s and I seem to remember that the brass female mount went in from the top of the bottom plate. Perhaps this could be replaced by a threaded female brass piece from a hardware store. I have used several in various projects and can send a photo of one if you send me an email or tell me how to attach a photo to a PM through here.
Michael

reellis67
2-Jun-2006, 14:49
Turns out that the original mount is broken, resulting in a very short section of threading. I'm told that these were pressed in, and judging by the hole that appears correct, so I would be a bit suspicious of it anyway. I'm planning on replacing the original, or what is left of it, with a tee-nut. The base uses a recesed hole for the threads already and I think I can find one to fit that size opening. If not, I can put the base on the drill press and open it to the needed diameter. I would rather not alter the camera, but I want to be able to use it. I'm thinking of using a the larger 3/8" tripod mount rather than another 1/4", just for added support. Thanks for the ideas!

- Randy

Louis Jensen
2-Jun-2006, 17:14
The tripod mount for my Korona was in similar condition. Instead of drilling a new hole, I put a new threaded brass insert in the hole and filled the remainder of the hole with epoxy. I would have to break the bottom of the camera to get it out. I have not had any problems with it for years.

reellis67
2-Jun-2006, 17:23
Thanks for the info! I was considering doing just that, but I though that a tee-nut would afford more security, especialy with the lens I'm using (triple convertible). I'll look into that option as well.

- Randy