PDA

View Full Version : Shoot from the lip?

Steve Feldman
31-May-2006, 12:40
Aw come on. A cable release for the mouth? Check it out. Is this real??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-rare-Leica-MQUOO-Mouth-Shutter-release-NR_W0QQitemZ7624951619QQihZ017QQcategoryZ711QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

~S.

David A. Goldfarb
31-May-2006, 12:51
What's a one-handed Leicaphile to do otherwise?

Donald Brewster
31-May-2006, 13:27
Well, those Leica fondlers will have one hand holding the camera and the other . . . .

Michael Daily
31-May-2006, 16:30
Non-leica users use duct tape for the mouth... (LF users excepted, of course.)

Ralph Barker
31-May-2006, 16:52
Well, those Leica fondlers will have one hand holding the camera and the other . . . .
Hey, not all Leica users have only those short, tiny lenses, ya know. ;)

http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/misc/M6/Elmarit-M135_2-8-57-550bws.jpg

Steven Barall
1-Jun-2006, 06:51
I bet this was not a very successful item. For a Leica user being able to trigger the shutter is important but being able yell out to everyone around that you're using a Leica is even more important.

Bill_1856
1-Jun-2006, 07:16
You guys are a bunch of know-nothing smartasses. The very existance of this kind of unusual accessory is one of the main reasons that the Leica System was so successful. In those days, they really tried to make their little camera as versatile and universal as possible. As to who would use it, while there were one-armed people who might make use of it, it was mostly used by photographers in dangerous situations where one hand was needed to hang on to a support (open cockpit aeroplane, industrial, etc.). Remember the old sailor's motto: "one hand for the ship, one hand for yourself."

Donald Brewster
1-Jun-2006, 12:18
Wilhelm -- I freely confess to being a smartass, and to being a Leica owner (though not as, um, well endowed as Ralph). But I could never resist a straight line . . . .

Bill_1856
1-Jun-2006, 18:11
Hey, Donald, they say it takes one to know one! Anyhow, another use for this absurd accessory was apparently the scientific use, where the camera was set up on a tripod, and the photographer had to use both hands to adjust/manage the subject (such as live critters, and other yucky stuff), and the only way to set off the shutter was either to have an assistant or do it by mouth. I presume that everyone had his own personal cable release?

Bob Salomon
2-Jun-2006, 04:58
Hey, Donald, they say it takes one to know one! Anyhow, another use for this absurd accessory was apparently the scientific use, where the camera was set up on a tripod, and the photographer had to use both hands to adjust/manage the subject (such as live critters, and other yucky stuff), and the only way to set off the shutter was either to have an assistant or do it by mouth. I presume that everyone had his own personal cable release?

The more obvious example was dental photography where one hand held the mirror or a spreader to get light to the part to be photographed and the other held a probe to point out the point of interest.

The nurse could wind the camera since this was from a knob would II or III or, even possibly a I but not from an M or R.

Brian Vuillemenot
2-Jun-2006, 12:59
With a little practice, you can fire any cable release using your mouth, and even other parts of your anatomy as well...

John Berry
4-Jun-2006, 00:36
Perfect for those who want to mouth off all the time.

Ralph Barker
4-Jun-2006, 07:04
Perfect for those who want to mouth off all the time.
Or, for those who only pay lip service to their photography. ;)