PDA

View Full Version : Using wide lenses on the Ebony SV

Andrew Ito
30-May-2006, 00:32
I recently purchased an Ebony SV45Ti that I was having some regrets about. This past weekend I was able to take the camera out for a real test run in the Eastern Sierras/Mono Lake/Red Rock Canyon and the camera is feeling a lot better to use and getting to be a bit more natural but still not as comfortable as my 23S was. At any rate, I found that while using my Fujinon 90SW that the bellows seemed to limit out when I tried using a reasonable amount of rise. I was under the impression that the SV's bellows could handle anything that a 90 could throw at it, but just not any wider lenses. Do I need to pick up a universal bellows to get comfortable movements with a 90? I also have a Nikkor 65SW and am assuming that I can't do much as far as movements with the standard bellows.

Also, I was wondering if a Super Symmar 80XL would require the front standard to be adjusted to focus to infinity. By "adjusted" I mean, would it require a base tilt and axis tilt to bring the front standard back closer to the film. I'm thinking of selling the Nikkor 65SW and Fujinon 90SW f/8 to pick up the 80XL.

Thanks for the advice!

Steve Hamley
30-May-2006, 05:41
Andrew,

I use the 80mm Schneider on an Ebony SV45U which IIRC has the same bellows length.

The 80mm Schneider can be used without articulating the standards although frequently I will articulate only the front to make things easier. The 80mm is right on the "cut off" if you want to use front movements.

65mm and 55mm lenses generally require articulating both standards for the best ease of use, although you might get away with articulating only the front for 65mm, especially with a recessed board - I just don't remember.

If you want full movements out of lenses 90mm and shorter (that have movement on 4x5), you will want a bag bellows IMO although i don't have one and get by doing landscapes.

Articulating the standards and some bellows limitations are something you put up with for a 4x5 camera that can use lenses from 55mm (maybe 47mm) to 450mm without switching bellows and bed/rail components, using extender boards, etc.

Steve

Brian Ellis
30-May-2006, 07:26
I used a bag bellows on my Ti and Te with the 80 XL. However, I didn't have the universal bellows, maybe that would work if you don't want to get the bag bellows.

Eric Leppanen
30-May-2006, 07:37
I assume you've seen the analysis on the Ebony website here: http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html. Unfortunately it does not document how much movement is possible when using rise plus tilt.

I used to own an SV45U2 with universal bellows (it had a longer bellows than your camera, though, so it is not a completely valid comparison). With that camera, I found I could achieve only partial movements with my SS110XL (the bellows allowed only maybe two thirds of the front rise supported by that lens, exclusive of any tilt), and maybe half of the front rise supported by my SS80XL. If I wanted more rise, or wanted to simultaneously support rise plus tilt, I would have needed the bag bellows or recessed lensboard.

I suggest checking with your dealer (or with Ian Wilson of Ebony directly) regarding how much movement will be possible with the universal bellows and/or recessed lensboard before making any decisions. I went through a similar decision-making process with my Ebony 8x10 camera (standard, universal or bag bellows?), and Ian was able to give me complete information on how much rise/tilt was possible (in that case with a 150mm wide-angle lens) so that I could make a fully informed decision (I elected to go with standard plus bag bellows, which I have never regretted; the universal bellows would not have permitted full movements and I hate recessed lensboards, so the bag bellows was the best choice for me).

CXC
30-May-2006, 11:04
"I'm thinking of selling the Nikkor 65SW and Fujinon 90SW f/8 to pick up the 80XL."

It's a funny world we live in: I just sold my 80XL to buy a 90mm to go with my 65mm. Reminds me of being stuck in stop-and-go traffic on the freeway going south, and looking at the same situation going north -- nobody is happy where they are, everybody wants to be somewhere else! ;-).

Switching bellows is a drag, especially if like me you end up having to switch it back again before shooting (180!... no, 90!...no, 240!) My Walker bag bellows accommodates 65mm - 240mm, which usually should be enough for me, but of course this last weekend I found myself using nothing but the extremes, 65mm and 450mm. Fumble, fumble, fumble...

Andrew Ito
30-May-2006, 13:45
It is funny. Everyone seems to be looking elsewhere for the answers. I may stick with the 65 and 90 if someone can talk me into it. Switching bellows is definitely a drag, which is why I'm considering the universal bellows if it will allow me to get more movements. I'll have to contact Ian.

Eric James
30-May-2006, 14:36
I recently inquired on this forum about the falloff of the 80mmXL versus the current Rodenstock 75mm - I had decided to replace my Nikon 90mm f8 with something wider. At this point I haven't been able to part with the Nikon. After reading about so many problems with the 80mm (soft wide open; fogging of an internal element; loose apeture ring) I decided that I didn't want to take a chance with such an expensive lens. If it were a stellar performer like the 110mm I might think twice, but the 90mm will continue to serve as my widest wide until I have a chance to try the Rodenstock or maybe the Schneider 72mm lens.

I tried a the 80mmXL (flat board) on my Ebony SV45U2 and it focused at infinity with ~2mm to spare.

Ted Harris
30-May-2006, 14:54
Eric I was shooting on Sunday with the current Rodenstock 75mm Grandagon f4.5 and saw no noticable falloff at f22.

BTW the 80 XL is slightly more expensive than the f4.5 Grandagon.

Ole Tjugen
30-May-2006, 15:19
...I may stick with the 65 and 90 if someone can talk me into it. ...
I would much rather talk you into selling the 65mm. To me. :D

Andrew Ito
30-May-2006, 15:23
I would much rather talk you into selling the 65mm. To me. :D

I may just do that Ole!

Jeff Scott
31-May-2006, 18:55
Get the universal bellows, I have it on my 45SU and it is a joy to be able to use all my lenses, even my 58XL, without any issues.