PDA

View Full Version : Lens Cleaner

Bob Gentile
28-May-2006, 14:25
Has anyone used Opticlean for their lenses? (http://www.caliope.co.uk/ It was recommended by someone whose opinion I respect, but it seems to fly in the face of everything I've been told over the years.

Tom Westbrook
28-May-2006, 14:36
I've never had any better performance from a liquid cleaner than I have with the condensation from my breath and a microfiber cloth. Just dusting the lens off with a soft, clean brush does about all that's required if you're keeping your mitts off the glass.

Brian Vuillemenot
28-May-2006, 14:44
While I've never tried that product, I've used an alcohol and ammonia based lens cleaner that is designed for cleaning microscope lenses. I don't use it routinely, but often when I'm shooting along the coast there's this foggy mist in the air that really gunks up my lenses. The lens cleaner nicely removed the salty residue left behind.

John Kasaian
28-May-2006, 15:25
Isn't that what vodka is for?

Cheers!

Ralph Barker
28-May-2006, 15:32
Isn't that what vodka is for?

I don't think so, John. I've always thought vodka was best used for medicinal purposes. ;)

Michael Kadillak
28-May-2006, 16:00
I have used the product for quite some time now and it does work quite well.

For lenses that have unintentional finger prints on them from attepts to move the f stop ring while viewing the ground glass and missing (and similar situations) it is a great alternative to rubbing off cleaning fluids from the lens surface. For those of you unfamiliar with the Opticlean, you apply a liquid gel to the lens and then let it dry. Then you use an adhesive tab to grap an edge and peel it off of the lens that leaves the lens microscopically cleaned. The downside is that you want to apply the product to the lens leaving some space to the edge of the glass so it is easier to remove the film with the adhesive tabs after the cleaning fuild dries. I find that I rarely want to clean lenses or in any way rub a lens surface considering their costs but when I need to, this is a good way to do it.

Cheers!

Bob Gentile
28-May-2006, 19:01
Thanks for the replies.

I usually use Tom's method -- breathe on the lens and then use a microfiber cloth. But when I heard about this product, I just had to ask around. It seems like either a really great idea or... a REALLY lousy one.

Michael, you've confirmed the recommendation and reaffirmed my respect for the fella who mentioned it.

Thanks again, all!

Andrew_4548
30-May-2006, 04:41
Another vote for Opticlean - the knack I found was how long to leave the polymer to set before you put in the tab... Too early and it didn't seem to work as well and I had a few fraught moments trying to dig off the layer first time.

It's not supposed to be used day in, day out but is great for a spring clean or "emergency situations like fingerprints etc.

Bob Gentile
30-May-2006, 08:09
Another vote for Opticlean - the knack I found was how long to leave the polymer to set before you put in the tab... Too early and it didn't seem to work as well and I had a few fraught moments trying to dig off the layer first time.

It's not supposed to be used day in, day out but is great for a spring clean or "emergency situations like fingerprints etc.Thanks for the benefit of your experience, Andrew.

Yeah... it does seem more like a "heavy-duty emergency cleaning" tool. For "routine" cleaning I'll stick with my current methods.