PDA

View Full Version : 4X5 Suggestions

dr5chrome
16-May-2024, 11:39
Hellos - Some advise on equipment needed..

Im looking for a 4x5 body with a rotating back.
The obvious - Graflex Superspeed, Linholf - press style.

Are there any others that have a standard rotating back??

TY - regards, DW

Dugan
16-May-2024, 12:48
Burke & James Press camera

Kevin Crisp
16-May-2024, 13:57
Deardorff made some rotating 4x5 backs.

Peter De Smidt
16-May-2024, 14:01
Toyo 45AII

BudLight
16-May-2024, 17:34
Busch Pressman Model D

dr5chrome
16-May-2024, 20:43
I couldnt tell if the Busch Pressman Model D has a graflok back... Does it?

Busch Pressman Model D

Alan9940
16-May-2024, 21:05
Intrepid, if you're looking for something new.

Vaughan
16-May-2024, 21:12
Wista 45 metal field cameras.

dr5chrome
16-May-2024, 22:16
This is a nice camera.. does it have the graflock back? TY

Wista 45 metal field cameras.

Joseph Kashi
16-May-2024, 22:27

TY - regards, DW

Meridian B US-made Post-WWII Technika-style camera. Although the back revolves, it will not fit a Grafmatic 6-shot film magazine and does not have a Graflok back, as the camera predates development of the Graflok back.

B.S.Kumar
17-May-2024, 04:46
This is a nice camera.. does it have the graflock back? TY

Yes, though the older 45D model has a slightly more involved method of using the Graflok sliders. All Wista metal field cameras have rotating backs.

Kumar

Doremus Scudder
17-May-2024, 10:31
Just out of curiosity: why do you need a rotating back? All my cameras except one have backs that come off and remount to change orientation and I've never had a problem. In fact, I like them more than the rotating back, which is a bit clunky.

Best,

Doremus

BudLight
17-May-2024, 11:06
It does not. A drawback if you want the most flexibility. For instance, if you want to use a roll film holder you need to us one that can fit in the back like a film holder. It does give you more options for front tilt than a Speed Graphic, however.

djdister
17-May-2024, 13:14
A rotating back is overrated. You need a Graflok back and one that can be switched from landscape to portrait orientation.

shelby_wright
17-May-2024, 13:22

TY - regards, DW

I think most 4x5 (and LF cameras in general) have rotating backs; either they rotate in place or the back is a square that you can pop off and rotate 90 degrees to switch between portrait and landscape.

The Speed/Crown Graphic press cameras are probably the most common models that don't have a rotating back, but it's pretty uncommon to find a field camera or monorail where you can't rotate the back.

Havoc
22-May-2024, 11:49
It does not. A drawback if you want the most flexibility. For instance, if you want to use a roll film holder you need to us one that can fit in the back like a film holder. It does give you more options for front tilt than a Speed Graphic, however.

Mind to elaborate a bit, I can't make sense of what this is referring to.

hasim495
23-May-2024, 03:35
Hey hi, Linhof Technika and Wista 45DX these offer standard rotating backs like the Graflex Superspeed,

B.S.Kumar
23-May-2024, 03:47
The Wista 45DX is a wooden camera. Wista wooden cameras do not have revolving backs. They have reversible backs. On the other hand, Wista metal cameras have revolving backs.

Kumar

Jim Jones
23-May-2024, 07:39
The Kodak Master View 4x5 with a revolving back weighs a pound more than my early Graphic View with a reversing back, and is slightly taller, even though the Graphic includes a tilting and panning base. Perhaps the Kodak Master would be preferable in a studio, but not on a hike.

monochromeFan
26-May-2024, 20:35

TY - regards, DW

not all 4x5 have a rotating back. Its more or less depending entirely on the maker of the camera, and the actual model. Its confusing but you need to get interested in a camera body, and then research the camera body. SOME companies sold the rotating back as a standard item on ALL cameras, others ONLY on specific models. Others sold it as an optional attachment feature for specific models.

Its also POSSIBLE that you can find a tripod that has a tilt/flip feature that lets you rotate the camera 90* to one side. but that is gonna make a god awfully unbalanced and side heavy setup that i would not try outside the studio setting.

maltfalc
27-May-2024, 12:34

TY - regards, DW

if you're ever planning to use wide-angle lenses, don't throw away your money on a superspeed.