PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss Tessar with 5 fl/aperture scalesÂ… Casket set lens?

Embdude
12-May-2024, 13:35
Did Zeiss ever offer a casket set with a Tessar? As far as I know the Tessar is not convertible/ combinable but here we have one found on a 1930Â’s Linhof 13x18 with no less than 5 scales! Perhaps someone was simply getting extreme economy out of a single shutter and various lens cells. What do you think?

Dan Fromm
12-May-2024, 15:10
Shutter swap?

Embdude
12-May-2024, 15:32
Shutter swap?

Well it has a line for the “4.5 Tess”… it just apparently shares the shutter with 4 other lenses…

domaz
12-May-2024, 16:38
Could have been a homebrew casket set why not? People have been doing one-off large format equipment for a long time, in fact they still do see SK Grimes.

reddesert
13-May-2024, 14:25
Some of the scales are marked for which lens, like one starts "Tess 4.5 ..." and another starts "47cm VL 9.5 ..." which might be a Protar, or a single cell of a Protar. Protars are convertible. Tessars are not convertible.

J. Patric Dahlen
13-May-2024, 17:33
Could "47cm VL" be for the 32cm with a Verlängerungslinse? A negative meniscus lens attachment that increases the focal length. Zeiss had the Distar, Schneider the Longar, and other manufacturers like ISCO and Agfa simply called them Verlängerungslinsen:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/4d7085_4d4ab9b26bc9464b87ec9a66f9dacf6e~mv2_d_3144_4715_s_4_2.jpg

Using the Typ B, 1,5 would increase the 32mm lens to 48cm and need about one stop more exposure.

What does it say on the scale closest to the lens?

Jody_S
13-May-2024, 17:44
I may be wrong, but that does not look like a factory plate for the aperture scales. Any trophy maker/engraver could have done that over the years for a just a few $$, these days anyone with a hobby engraver from China could knock that off in an afternoon.

J. Patric Dahlen
13-May-2024, 18:05
I may be wrong, but that does not look like a factory plate for the aperture scales. Any trophy maker/engraver could have done that over the years for a just a few $$, these days anyone with a hobby engraver from China could knock that off in an afternoon.

Some convertible lenses had scales like that, so it might have been engraved by an optical company for the owner (probably a professional photographer/company).

pjd
13-May-2024, 20:47
The scales remind me of some I've seen on Perka (proto Linhof) cameras which were often equipped with Meyer Plasmat cells. 47 /32 looks like single cells of a convertible Meyer Plasmat (of which I have one, mounted in a compound shutter). Combined focal length of 22.3cm, f4.5.

J. Patric Dahlen
13-May-2024, 21:09
The scales remind me of some I've seen on Perka (proto Linhof) cameras which were often equipped with Meyer Plasmat cells. 47 /32 looks like single cells of a convertible Meyer Plasmat (of which I have one, mounted in a compound shutter). Combined focal length of 22.3cm, f4.5.

Ah! VL/HL, front and back lens groups!

arri
14-May-2024, 01:28
The shutter were made for a Hugo Meyer Plasmat Satz.

What kind of stupid idiot removed the bayonet mount thread of the Plasmat lenses and mount a Tessar into the shutter?

I can´t believe it.

gypsydog
14-May-2024, 05:56

What kind of stupid idiot removed the bayonet mount thread of the Plasmat lenses and mount a Tessar into the shutter?

I can´t believe it.

One could hope for the best, that the responsible party had a bayonet adapter made for the Tesser rather than destroy the Meyer mount!

domaz
14-May-2024, 10:17

I can´t believe it.

We shouldn't judge the previous owner. Maybe the Plasmat Satz lens was broken beyond repair or someone lost one of the cells.

J. Patric Dahlen
14-May-2024, 16:15

I can´t believe it.

If the Tessar aperture scale added to the Plasmat ones, wouldn't that mean that it was still possible to use the Plasmat groups?

Ron (Netherlands)
15-May-2024, 08:24
The first ring says: 'Weitwinkel' (which means: wideangle), at least that is what I read on 2nd thought (first thougt there was written Welta...).

A comparable shutter is on one of my ICA Tropicas, and makes it possible to use different lenses with only one shutter. Mine can e.g. also be used for the Tele-Tessar.

Embdude
13-Jun-2024, 22:32
Well the plot thickens... there is a similar Linhof on ebay right now with a scale for 4 lenses... So apparently it is not a one off. Perhaps some enterprising dealer was selling them that way...