PDA

View Full Version : out of date velvia

Gary Tarbert
27-May-2006, 18:45
I have some velia that is 2 years out of date it has always been refridgerated i have never used velvia this far past exspirey before
any comments

Bob Gentile
27-May-2006, 18:56
Try it and see. What have you got to lose?

Glenn Thoreson
27-May-2006, 21:02
I have some that's 5 years or more out of date. Cold stored. No problems yet. If your film has always been cold, you should be good to go.

Capocheny
28-May-2006, 13:32
Gary,

I have some lots of Provia in my freezer from years ago... no problems with color shifts or anything like that have been experienced.

If yours was in the freezer... just make sure to let it warm up gradually to room temperature to avoid condensation.

If it's just been in the fridge... I'd do as Bob suggested. Shoot a couple of sheets and see what happens. I don't think it'll pose any problems though.

Cheers

Alan Davenport
31-May-2006, 09:18
Remember that when film ages there are chemical reactions slowly occurring in the emulsion, which adversely affect the response to light when we use the film. Most chemical reactions slow down as the temperature drops, so keeping film in cold storage slows the aging process and makes the film usable for much longer than the expiration date on the box, which is based on non-refrigerated storage IINM. Unopened boxes of film can be safely stored in a freezer where they'll keep for years past the exp. date. Once opened, it's probably best to keep the film above freezing since you don't know how much moisture has gotten in with the air.

steviebabes
2-Jun-2006, 07:05
This week I developed a roll of Kodak Portra 160 NC 120 rollfilm. It was "Develop by June 2004". It had been stored in a warm office. Perfectly okay.

Steven