PDA

View Full Version : Copal shutter replacement

KathrynR
3-May-2024, 06:47
If I replace a current Copal shutter with a new one .... will the lens elements be calibrated properly so long as I use the same shims? The particular lens is a Rodenstock 180 mm macro and it appears to have two shims behind the front element group. Or are the lens and shutter a unique pair? Thanks. Kate

Dan Fromm
3-May-2024, 06:48
Yes. No.

The lens cells and shims are unique, the shutter isn't.

If in doubt, measure the lens' total length, shims included, in new and old shutters. If there's a difference, calculate the additional (+ or -) shim length needed and adjust.

Kevin Crisp
3-May-2024, 06:49
The shutters are generally extremely uniform -- the customization is done to a particular lens to optimize it.

The hardest part may be finding a new Copal shutter. Yours is absolutely beyond repair?

KathrynR
4-May-2024, 03:25
Dan: Thanks, great suggestion. (I should have thought of that.) Kate

KathrynR
4-May-2024, 03:31
Kevin: Fortunately when I saw them announce "end of production" I bought some extras. I figured I could use them when I sent a shutter for service but after years, this is the first time I have needed to do so.

Kevin Crisp
4-May-2024, 07:09
I bought one NOS Copal 1, but have never needed it. Mine have always been able to be restored with a CLA or repair. I've not been so fortunate with some of my Compur 1s.