PDA

View Full Version : Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 135mm f4.5

TomAlf94
30-Apr-2024, 12:05
Hello guys!

Hey, can someone help me out a little? I'm looking into this lens, a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 135mm, the Zeiss-Ikon type. I know it's made for 9x12. I'm looking for someone who has shoot with it before, I want to know what your experience was and how the lens performed. If anyone has some sample images, that would be great! I'm looking for some not-so-clinical, not-so-sharp lens to use on my 4x5 camera and this one fits just my wished focal length.

Thanks for all the help and info! :)

notorius
30-Apr-2024, 12:19
What do you mean by not so clinical? At what distance are you going to focus and what f stop number? I do have the exact same lens.

TomAlf94
30-Apr-2024, 13:57
My current 135mm lens is a Nikkor W. It's a great lens, but from time to time, I find myself looking for softer images. I do landscape and portraiture, I like using lenses wide open, I think I've never gone beyond F11. How has your experience with it been so far?

djdister
30-Apr-2024, 14:26
A tessar design is also pretty sharp, so if you are looking for a bit of softness you should explore other lens designs. Check out what lenses are being used in landscape and portrait threads in this forum for examples.

domaz
30-Apr-2024, 14:40
Tessars are sharp but they can have great bokeh. I wouldn't discount it unless you want to go with really low DOF shots. For that you need an Aero Ektar or a fast Petzval.

TomAlf94
30-Apr-2024, 14:40
That's actually something I've been doing for a bit now. I just wondered, since this one I don't recall seeing around that much!

TomAlf94
30-Apr-2024, 14:42
Thanks for the input! Can't go wrong with great fall off!

Oren Grad
30-Apr-2024, 16:17
Tessars are sharp but they can have great bokeh.

They can, but they don't necessarily. If that's a concern each particular lens needs to be evaluated for its own merits.

TomAlf94
30-Apr-2024, 21:53
They can, but they don't necessarily. If that's a concern each particular lens needs to be evaluated for its own merits.

Well this is exactly what I'm after. Modern lenses are kinda just one way.

Oren Grad
30-Apr-2024, 22:32
Well this is exactly what I'm after. Modern lenses are kinda just one way.

Actually, modern lenses aren't one way - they're lots of different ways. Similarly, Tessars don't all look the same, even classic Tessars. If there's a particular look you're after, you'll need to evaluate each lens you're considering for it - there's no one "classic lens look" or "classic Tessar look".

Chuck Pere
1-May-2024, 06:35
This is from a Maximar 9x12cm 135 Tessar..

Michael Graves
1-May-2024, 08:48
I have one of these. I rather like it for certain subjects. It is very prone to flare, so be careful of light falling on the lens when shooting. It is precisely as you describe. Kinda sharp, but not exceeding so, getting quite soft at the edges until stopped down to around f16. That aforementioned flare works well for some subjects. I'm not very good at taking notes, so this is the only shot I can find that I know for sure was taken with this lens. It might not be the best example, since I stopped it down in order to mitigate the edge sharpness. But the "character" shows through, I believe.

TomAlf94
2-May-2024, 07:32
This is from a Maximar 9x12cm 135 Tessar..

Chuck, I love this image! Can't go wrong with great hazy light! Very nice balance between ray lights and leaves in the dark. Makes up for a very contemplative scene. Thanks a lot for sharing with me!

TomAlf94
2-May-2024, 07:37
I have one of these. I rather like it for certain subjects. It is very prone to flare, so be careful of light falling on the lens when shooting. It is precisely as you describe. Kinda sharp, but not exceeding so, getting quite soft at the edges until stopped down to around f16. That aforementioned flare works well for some subjects. I'm not very good at taking notes, so this is the only shot I can find that I know for sure was taken with this lens. It might not be the best example, since I stopped it down in order to mitigate the edge sharpness. But the "character" shows through, I believe.

Hey Michael!

Great exposure over here! It's funny how you realize flaring is gonna be a problem up until it's too late. Sometimes you are just glad it's there, too. Tricky subject to understand, flare is haha. I can definitely see what you mean by character. This is why this lens is catching my eye. I believe it's a nice formula that might benefit from tri-x or even alt processes like dry plates. Thanks for sharing this image with me! Now I kinda really want a copy to play around with!

rfesk
2-May-2024, 08:41
I would also consider the older model Symmar lenses from the 1960's. They are a symmetrical design and not as "corrected" as the Symmar-S or Apo-symmars.
That said, I also like Tessar's.

Dan Fromm
2-May-2024, 10:39
I would also consider the older model Symmar lenses from the 1960's. They are a symmetrical design and not as "corrected" as the Symmar-S or Apo-symmars.
That said, I also like Tessar's.

Which Symmars, Bob? Older dagor types or old plasmat types?

rfesk
2-May-2024, 18:31
I was speaking about the Symmar which is a plasmat. The Symmars (convertibles) that immediately preceded the Symmar-S are a symmetrical design. The even older dagor types are also symmetrical I believe.