PDA

View Full Version : Problem of scanning 8X10 films

Daisy
23-Apr-2024, 05:34
I had a problem when scanning 8X10 films(Ilford hp5) on Epson V800.

There are unusual densities near the borders on the left and right. I had confirmed that it's not the problem of the negatives. I have tried Epson Scan and Silverfast. The result was the same. I'll appreciate it a lot if anyone could give me some suggestions. Thank you!

Peter De Smidt
23-Apr-2024, 06:19
Looks like light source fall off. Try scanning in two strips, centering each one on the light source and then stitching together.

dave_whatever
23-Apr-2024, 07:41
Surely that is light leaking/piping around the edge of the film? You might have a 8x10 film frame thing that covers the scanning bed except for the film - or at least my old 4990 has one. Otherwise make one from black card.

Peter De Smidt
23-Apr-2024, 08:17
Great suggestion, Dave!

Andrew O'Neill
23-Apr-2024, 08:18
That's very odd, indeed. Do you have the scanner set to scan with "film area guide", since you are scanning directly on the platen? I can't think of anything else... By the way, the 8x10 film frame shown above will not affect scans. I scan often without it. If you cannot eliminate those bands, try scanning the negative twice. Once with the negative shifted over to the right, and again with it shifted to the left. Then stitch together in PS.

Daisy
24-Apr-2024, 20:47
Looks like light source fall off. Try scanning in two strips, centering each one on the light source and then stitching together.

Thank you for the suggestion:)

Daisy
24-Apr-2024, 20:49
Surely that is light leaking/piping around the edge of the film? You might have a 8x10 film frame thing that covers the scanning bed except for the film - or at least my old 4990 has one. Otherwise make one from black card.

Thank you! I'll have a try.:)

Daisy
24-Apr-2024, 20:50
That's very odd, indeed. Do you have the scanner set to scan with "film area guide", since you are scanning directly on the platen? I can't think of anything else... By the way, the 8x10 film frame shown above will not affect scans. I scan often without it. If you cannot eliminate those bands, try scanning the negative twice. Once with the negative shifted over to the right, and again with it shifted to the left. Then stitch together in PS.

Yes, I did set to scan with "film area guide". Thank you for your suggestion!:)

Alan Klein
25-Apr-2024, 08:08
The Epson allows the machine to select auto border or manual. Do a Prescan. Leave the settings on auto marque and check to see if it's chopping off the edges. If so, switch to manual adjustments and adjust the marque to fit the film size.

Scan Area is Not Adjustable in Thumbnail Preview
If you cannot adjust the scan area while viewing a Thumbnail preview in Epson Scan, try these solutions:
• Create a scan area by drawing a marquee on your preview image and adjusting it as necessary.
• Adjust the thumbnail cropping area using the Thumbnail Cropping Area slider in preview mode.

Alan Klein
25-Apr-2024, 08:13
Read pgs 30-33 in the V850 manual for how to place and use the film area guide for 8x10.

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd41530.pdf

Daisy
26-Apr-2024, 07:08
The Epson allows the machine to select auto border or manual. Do a Prescan. Leave the settings on auto marque and check to see if it's chopping off the edges. If so, switch to manual adjustments and adjust the marque to fit the film size.

Scan Area is Not Adjustable in Thumbnail Preview
If you cannot adjust the scan area while viewing a Thumbnail preview in Epson Scan, try these solutions:
• Create a scan area by drawing a marquee on your preview image and adjusting it as necessary.
• Adjust the thumbnail cropping area using the Thumbnail Cropping Area slider in preview mode.

Thank you for your kind suggestion! :) But that's what I did: I did a prescan and adjust the scan area manually.

Daisy
26-Apr-2024, 07:09
Read pgs 30-33 in the V850 manual for how to place and use the film area guide for 8x10.

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd41530.pdf

Thank you! I read that too before I did the scanning. :)

Kino
26-Apr-2024, 08:07
Try checking your upper light cover and make sure it is mounted squarely on the scanner.

Remove it, examine the hinges and the slots that the scanner backlight slide into and the surrounding area to be sure nothing conflicts with the proper closing of the lid.

It might be an alignment issue that would not show up until you get to the very margins of the scanner platen. Smaller formats would not show this problem, as you are scanning images no where near the edge of the scanner...

gypsydog
26-Apr-2024, 08:51
Or, the photography gods are trying to tell you something. Perhaps, Stop It! print those things the way the gods intended, by contact.:)

Daisy
29-Apr-2024, 05:28
Try checking your upper light cover and make sure it is mounted squarely on the scanner.

Remove it, examine the hinges and the slots that the scanner backlight slide into and the surrounding area to be sure nothing conflicts with the proper closing of the lid.

It might be an alignment issue that would not show up until you get to the very margins of the scanner platen. Smaller formats would not show this problem, as you are scanning images no where near the edge of the scanner...

Thank you for your kind suggestion! I'll have a try:)

Daisy
29-Apr-2024, 05:29
Or, the photography gods are trying to tell you something. Perhaps, Stop It! print those things the way the gods intended, by contact.:)

That's an amazing suggestion! :D Thank you:)

Tin Can
29-Apr-2024, 05:53
I have stopped using my EPSON V700

It works perfectly

I only need scans for this forum

oddly

I use a current iPad and copy with it

Very quick and exceeds LFPF Limits

I use an ancient Leitz as it has a removable head for COPY WORK

Make it easy for you

Daisy
2-May-2024, 04:33
I have stopped using my EPSON V700

It works perfectly

I only need scans for this forum

oddly

I use a current iPad and copy with it

Very quick and exceeds LFPF Limits

I use an ancient Leitz as it has a removable head for COPY WORK

Make it easy for you

Thank you for your comment:)

Tin Can
2-May-2024, 05:43
My problem is 16mm chromes on paper mounts

Vietnam era shot on Okinawa

They are uneventful

Peter De Smidt
2-May-2024, 07:38
To the original poster, did you figure it out?

Daisy
7-May-2024, 19:54
To the original poster, did you figure it out?

Thank you for asking! Not yet solved. :X