PDA

View Full Version : Who can help identify this brass lens?

Knackebrod
21-Apr-2024, 13:30
Hoping someone can help me identify this lens. Unfortunately these low res pictures are the only thing I have at this moment.
Maybe a Voigtländer 290mm?

J. Patric Dahlen
22-Apr-2024, 03:05
Wait for better replies, but if I saw it I would suspect that it's a repurposed projection lens, maybe a petzval. No iris or slot for stops, the focusing wheel removed and there are signs of it having been heated, maybe for soldering the lens shade on.

Knackebrod
22-Apr-2024, 13:35
Wait for better replies, but if I saw it I would suspect that it's a repurposed projection lens, maybe a petzval. No iris or slot for stops, the focusing wheel removed and there are signs of it having been heated, maybe for soldering the lens shade on.

Thanks Patric! That sounds like a possibility. There is no markings on the lens.

Steven Tribe
23-Apr-2024, 00:13
Well it being mounted with flange and brass sleeve on a “1900” period Studio bipost setup suggests it could be pre WHS era Petzval or made in the 1860’s/70’s by the French maker who didn’t fall for the English invention!
The various sections of differing “patina” surface appearance suggest that it was first used on a more primitive camera with the tangential drive intact. Then moved over to this “modern” camera with fine focusing movements and the pinion drive removed and exposing/covering different section of the brass barrel to the atmosphere!