PDA

View Full Version : Dallmeyer Studio Camera - info requested

pgk
11-Apr-2024, 02:16
Some time ago I bought this camera. It needs some sort of restoration as its been well used! I can either try to find out what it looked like and rebuild it as it originally was or slide in a 5" x 4" back (easy solution). Originally the space where the ground glass was (now missing) suggests that it was 6.25" x 6.25" format. Does anyone have any information regarding likely date, whether it was wet or dry plate and anyother data or links? I have the bellows which will just about serve as a template for replacements and it works fine (swing/rotation on the back, gear drive and front moves correctly. The ground glass holder had a bent hinge (rectified but has two hinges missing at the base of the rear of the camera and I'm unsure what these supported. I have two JHD lenses which I can fit to it. Any information gratefully received!

Tin Can
11-Apr-2024, 06:30
The wood stands are very hard to find

I made a wood hand cart with 26" wheets

and hitch

Rod Klukas
14-Apr-2024, 15:52
I believe it was 6x4", or 1/2 plate size, from about 1900 used for Portraiture in studio. It was found most often with a Petzval Portrait lens with 'Waterhouse stops', for exposure adjustment.

pgk
15-Apr-2024, 02:42
Having posted elsewhere it looks very much like this was a 'badged' camera actually made by W Watson & Sons and would have been made from around the late 1880s onwards (no cut off date).

Ron (Netherlands)
23-Apr-2024, 05:08
Having posted elsewhere it looks very much like this was a 'badged' camera actually made by W Watson & Sons and would have been made from around the late 1880s onwards (no cut off date).

That same Watson camera can also be found under the name of George Hare. They seem although a bit different than yours.

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/6462/134862/68484251_1_x.jpg

https://vintagefilmcamerashop.com/image/cache/catalog/incoming/Vintage_Film_Camera_Shop_img62-3000x3000.JPG

pgk
23-Apr-2024, 11:18
That same Watson camera can also be found under the name of George Hare. They seem although a bit different than yours.

Thanks Ron. Interesting that the secod one is 1915 or later from the Sands Hunter & Co Ltd nameplate. I'm not sure whether Hare was still in business by that time. The design seems to be a fairly 'standard' one although who originated it remains unclear.