PDA

View Full Version : tachihara vs ebony

Gary Tarbert
26-May-2006, 18:32
I live in western australia where LF is not used by a lot of people i have a tachihara
5x4 which i bought from a friend.
I love using this camera there is something special about working in the aussie bush
with a woody.
My only regret is that i can't use roll film backs with this camera so i am thinking about changing to an ebony to shoot 6cmx12cm.
the problem is i have never seen the ebony and have only chosen it based on reputation of course the sydney based dealer assures me it is a big step up from the
tachihara judging by the price difference it should be!
Has anybody had experience or even just seen both products who could comment.

Cheers

Brian Vuillemenot
26-May-2006, 19:50
Ebonies are beautiful creations to behold, and I'm told are as smooth as silk to work with (I've never actually shot with one). However, you might also want to consider a Shen-Hao. With this camera, you can not only shoot 6X12, but can also pick up a back from them that lets you shoot 6X17, 6X12, and 6X9 with roll film. The panoramic back and camera have been extensively reviewed before, so check out the main lfphotography.info page for those reviews. The Shen is surprisingly well crafted and is beautiful to behold. It's quite a bit sturdier than the Tachihara. You could pick up the camera, the multi format back, and a lens for less then the price of the entry level Ebony.

Ralph Barker
26-May-2006, 19:53
While adapter backs are rather lacking for the Tachi, you might consider making your own, or finding a local woodworker who could do it for you. It might be less expensive than switching platforms altogether.

For example, I bought a Tachi 8x10 double extension for field use - mostly because of price. But, I also have various Toyo cameras. So, I made an adapter frame that allows me to attach Toyo 4x5 backs and accessories to the 8x10 Tachi via the Toyo 8x10-to-4x5 reducing back. As a result, adding a Graflok-compatible roll film back would be easy.

You might be able to do something similar with your 4x5 Tachi. The only downside for me is that it adds about 30mm to the total minimum bellows draw. Depending on the lenses you use, that may or may not be a problem.

Eric Biggerstaff
26-May-2006, 20:39
Gary,

I used roll film "backs" for years on my Tachi. Calumet sells roll film holders that insert like a sheet film holder (model C2N if I remember correctly). These are great backs and come in different formats ( 6x4.5, 6x9 and 6X17). I sold both of mine on eBay not long ago and they come up for auction. They always worked very well for me.

Brian Ellis
26-May-2006, 23:14
"My only regret is that i can't use roll film backs with this camera."

Sure you can. Order a roll film holder from Calumet, it fits under your spring back just like a normal film holder. I used the Calumet 6x7 on my Tachihara, it worked fine. In fact I liked it better than the roll film holders for the Graflex type backs, you don't have to worry about removing the normal back and replacing it.

I've owned a Tachihara and two Ebonys, the 45 SVTi and the 45 SVTe. I thought the Ebonys were very nice cameras but unless you need the extra bellows extension or extra movements (maintly shifts) that your Tachihara doesn't have I didn't think they were $2000 better than the Tachihara. I first had the Ti, which I bought instead of the Te because of its lighter weight, but it wasn't especially smooth or precise so I traded it in on the Te, which I thought might be smoother and more precise because of the Ebony wood. It wasn't so I sold it after a year or so and went back to a Linhof Master Technika. I also disliked the three rail focusing system of both Ebonys. With lenses in the range of 135 - 240mm you'd be going along focusing the lens just fine and then all of a sudden focusing stopped and the focusing wheel would just spin freely in your hand. At that point you had to switch to another wheel in order to continue focusing. I suppose that design improves stability but I never did get comfortable with it.

Leonard Metcalf
27-May-2006, 06:31
I love my Ebony. It is a 45SU, if you ever get over to the eastern sea board your welcome to come and have a play with it. I have owned Toyo's, and Linhofs, and now wouldn't even dream of going to somethings else. It is the nicest view camera I have ever used. And looks beautiful too.

CXC
27-May-2006, 08:21
Unlike some others, I was dissatisfied with a Calumet-style rollfilm holder. It necessarily requires the film to go through a 180 degree hairpin turn around a very small roller. This can result in two problems: 1) irregular spacing; 2) bent film. The second problem can be minimized or eliminated by not loading the holder till just before using it, and then shooting off the entire roll promptly in one session.

I believe that Ebony makes a swing-away rollfilm holder that obviates the need to remove the ground glass or the holder to focus or shoot. That would be extremely handy, possibly worth the cost.

I used a Shen Hao for a while and was perfectly happy with it. Eventually I upgraded in order to use longer lenses. If you are (otherwise) happy with your current camera, my advice is to make sure it is lacking something you need, and that the replacement will provide that thing; otherwise you will just be spinning your wheels.

Gary Tarbert
27-May-2006, 19:17
i tried to buy a roll film back for this camera in perth was told it was impossible a local dealer who shall remain nameless dug out a contraption that would allow me to put a 6x12 back on my tachi only trouble is it was bigger than the camera and twice as heavy
(i don't think the guy had ever worked out in the field in his life)
Eric & Brian thanks for your input on the calumet backs Eric are you sure that they come in the 6x17 size? that is wider than a 5x4 sheet.
I have had a look on the calumet website could not find any reference to these backs
obviously they would be a special order.

David Karp
27-May-2006, 19:33
I think that 6x17 was a typo for the Calumet backs. They come in 6x12, 6x9, 6x7, and 6x4.5. Sinar also makes (made?) a back that loads like a film holder. It is adjustable to all the above sizes. It is also very expensive.

I have the older all metal C2 6x7 version of the Calumet back. Always seems to work fine for me, but I don't leave the film in the holder too long.

Brian Ellis
27-May-2006, 21:01
I believe David is right, I don't ever remember a 6x17 roll film holder from Calumet, I believe the sizes are as David states, with 6x12 being the largest. I always found the Calumet web site difficult to use and I'd be a little surprised if these holders are special order though anything is possible I guess when it comes to film products in the digital age. The one I used on my Tachihara certainly wasn't a special order item though it's been about ten years since I ordered it.

Eric Biggerstaff
27-May-2006, 21:04
Sorry, it was a typo! Fat fingers!

darr
27-May-2006, 21:54
I believe that Ebony makes a swing-away roll film holder that obviates the need to remove the ground glass or the holder to focus or shoot. That would be extremely handy, possibly worth the cost.

Yes they do. I use one occasionally with a 6x9 Horseman roll magazine. It can be used for formats no larger than 6x9. If interested, Jim at Midwest has them from time to time used.

Darr

Gary Tarbert
1-Jun-2006, 02:58
Brian took on board what you said about the shen hao can't find a stockist in australia
but this camera may solve another problem because i have a super angulon 58xl and
shen hao has a bag bellows option and a longer bellows range to start with.
A photographer on his website said the gear he used was a tachi with a horseman 6x12
back i have been told that this back will not fit my camera now i am confused!
Did get a aussie quote on a ebony 45s a bit frightening!
so will continue to research the shen hao
Cheers

Brian Vuillemenot
1-Jun-2006, 13:54
Hi Gary,

If you're interested in A Shen-Hao but can't find one locally, Badger Graphic and Midwest Photo Exchange always stock them and I'm pretty sure will ship to Australia. They also come up on E-Bay regularly, so that's another place to look. Best of luck with it!

Richard Deimel
4-Jun-2006, 14:46
I don't believe Calumet has the slide-in C2 holders any longer, but plenty of them are avalable used. The Linhof Rapid Rollex is a similar (but much more expensive) holder.

I can't see that the long run and the bending that someone brought up are real problems. The picture is taken on an area that has just come off the roll. The bending takes place after. It's certainly no worse than any magazine back, and I don't hear lots of complaints about those.

Gary Tarbert
6-Jun-2006, 22:27
Brian you have hit the nail on the head badger graphics shipped very promptly a shen hao i think it is more solid and the 6x17 back is now on the wishlist.
once i have put a few sheets through it i will report on the differences as i see them.
But from first impressions i would say anybody interested in a good secondhand tachihara?

Gary Tarbert
18-Jun-2006, 04:27
Hi done some math & i think to achieve 6x17 you would have to change the film plane enough to need a recessed board on a 90mm .
The back has been ordered will let you know.
Cheers Gary