PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Domed Lenscap?

Ron Marshall
26-May-2006, 16:25
I just bought a recent used Rodenstock lens and the Caps that came with it are much better than any Rodenstock caps I previously have seen. They are domed, like the Schneider caps but a bit sturdier, not flat-topped like the Rodenstock caps I had previously seen.

Does anyone know if this is the current style of Rodenstock cap, and if so where they might be sold? B+H only has Schneider and Kaiser.

Bob Salomon
26-May-2006, 17:45
Camera stores in the US can order caps from us.

Oren Grad
26-May-2006, 18:27
Ron, what focal length is it? My really small Rodenstocks, like my 100 Apo-Sironar-N and 135 Apo-Sironar-S, have very nice front caps. It's the big caps on the larger lenses that are so flimsy.

Ron Marshall
26-May-2006, 19:15
Oren, it is the 150mm APO Sironar-S. I was hoping that they had upgraded their caps, but it seems to be only the smaller ones. Thanks for saving me from a wild goose chase.

Kerry L. Thalmann
26-May-2006, 20:41
Oren, it is the 150mm APO Sironar-S. I was hoping that they had upgraded their caps, but it seems to be only the smaller ones. Thanks for saving me from a wild goose chase.

That's the first lens I thought of when I read your original post. This isn't a new development. I've had my 150mm APO Sironar-S for about 10 years and it also has the domed caps. In fact, it's the only Rodenstock lens I own or have owned that I'm not afraid to carry in a pack with the original caps installed. All my other Rodenstock lenses get more substantial replacement caps - usually Nikkors or Schneiders.

Kerry

Capocheny
26-May-2006, 21:46
Kerry,

One of the best lens caps I have is the one for my Schneider Symmar 360 f6.8. It's covered by a leather/leatherette material on the outside and the inside of the cap is covered with a really soft velvet cloth.

And, it's a nice tight fit too. :)

In addition, I have metal caps from S.K. Grimes that are very well made too. They are certainly not inexpensive but then, relative to the cost of a great lens these days... I think they're fairly reasonably priced. :)

Cheers

Ron Marshall
26-May-2006, 22:01
The best caps I have seen are on my Fuji lenses. They are a hard inflexible plastic, and they are thick. But they are only 54mm caps, maybe the larger ones are not as good, as is the case with Rodenstock?

Andre Noble
27-May-2006, 15:12
I personally avoid leather or metal caps.

Avoid leather because of the storage/ possible fungus spore source potential thingy. Metal because of the potential it slips across the exposed elements on front or rear.