PDA

View Full Version : Dry mounting press

Garry Edwards
11-Mar-2000, 15:10
I know it's a stupid question, but can anyone tell me how to use a dry mounting press, which we've just aquired second hand without instructions? Have dry mounted before, but this was a long time ago and I did not have a press then. In particular, what temperature should be set, and for how long? Thanks.

Doug Paramore
11-Mar-2000, 17:27
Garry: There are two different temperature mounting films to consider. The film made for color and RC paper is a lower temperature. Try a medium (175-200 degree) range for a start. The other, older type, uses temperatures around 250-350 degrees. The lower temp film will usually stick in about three minutes. Use three to five minutes for the higher temp film. I use mat board on top and bottom of the photo and board. Brush it off before you start. I pre-heat the mount board by leaving the press closed, as it works faster and gives more even heat. If you tack the mount film to the paper and trim the edges, you shouldn't need to use a release paper. The thermostats can be off quite a bit, expecially in an older press, so experiment a little with the amount of heat you need. Too hot can be as bad as too cool, and the print will seperate. When you take the mounted print from the press, bend it toward the print and look for loose or buckled aeas. If present, put back into the press for another couple of minutes. It ain't rocket science, but it does need to be done correctly. Hope this helps. Doug.

J.L. Kennedy
12-Mar-2000, 04:35
That's good advice above about checking the temperature of the press. They can be off quite a bit. You can get temperature indicator strips made by Seal (I got them at Freestyle) for testing whether the temperature is correct. They have a wax strip at both ends, one melts at 200F and the other at 210F. You test until one melts and the other doesn't at which time you know your press is between 200F and 210F. However, there can also be wild swings in temperature even if you don't touch the temperature control knob if the thermostat is bad. So continue testing 3-4 more times at at least 10-15 minute intervals even after your indicator strips have you between 200F and 210F. If the temperature shift you probably need a new thermostat, about $25 from Seal. Seal Products, Inc. 550 Spring St, Naugatuck, CT 06770. (203) 729-5201.

Garry Edwards
12-Mar-2000, 11:05
Many thanks for info