PDA

View Full Version : Jobo ATL-1

Giacomo GIRINO
26-May-2006, 07:59
Hello everyone,
do I have it right that the ATL-1 is a CPP2 with an accessory to automatically fill/empty the drums? I couldn't find a manual on Jobo's website, anyone knows where I could get one?
More in general, do Jobo processors need a minimum amount of film/paper to be processed in a given time in order to keep running properly?

My problem is the availability of labs that would take care of my film for a reasonable price (Turin, Italy): last time I had a 120 roll of BW film processed it cost me 25 euros to get 8 tiny 10x15 cm prints. 20 of those rolls could make up for one those processors, given the price they are sold on the used market. I am just amateur and shoot very little, so I don't really know if this is the way I should go (I would then also need either an enlarger or a scanner).

Any other processors that would fit my needs (I also shoot colour negative and slides).

Thanks in advance,
Lino

Juergen Sattler
26-May-2006, 08:27
Hello Giacomo,
I am not familiar with the ATL-1, but I do have the ATL-2 and it does everything automatically and is very different than the CCP models. I just program how long each step should last (pre-rinse, pre-warm, development, rinse, bleach, rinse, fix, stop, etc, etc, etc.) and dial in the quanity of chemicals needed and the machine does the rest. There is no minimum of film or paper that needs to be loaded - it works as well with one sheet as it does with 10. They are great machines and quite economic in the consumption of chemicals. I've had mine for at least 10 years and it has never let me down - knock on wood:-)

Ted Harris
26-May-2006, 18:54
You are correct, the ATL1 is basically a CPP with an auto control head attachede. It was Jobo's first entry into automatic processors. Parts are no longer available from Jobo and, given the age of the machine (around 15 years ol maybe older) they seldom show up on the used market. If the ATL head dies you can still use the machine as a basic CPP which is not all bad. You might want to look at later models. The progression goes ATL2, ATL2Plus, ATL 2000 and then the current ATL 2xxx series. There are also the ATL3 and 3000 which are much larger. Many parts are interchangeable from the ATL 2Plus forward and most parts for the ATL 2000 are still available.

I can't speak to the ATL1 but the ATL2300 (and I assume the earlier 2 series machines) can run with as little as 110 ml of chemistry. I prefer to use more just for safety.

In addition to Jobo processors you should also consider other "tube processors" especially those from PhotoTherm and Wing Lynch. While you may have to wait a long time to find any of the higher end Jobo machines in the price range you quoted it is quite possible you wold find a PhotoTherm or Wing Lynch since these are most frequently available on the used market as labs are phasing them out.

Erik Eks
26-May-2006, 22:14
Giacomo, you can find great buys on German Ebay if you're willing to drive the distance to pick up the machines yourself. Just last week or so, a fully-loaded ATL-3000 in good nick with FOUR Jobo Expert 3006 drums went for less than EURO350.00!! So bargains are to be had out there. There is an ATL-2200 for auction right now.

Ciao bella.

Ted Harris
27-May-2006, 11:00
As with any piece of complex expensive you buy on eBay you need to be very sure of operating condition of the machine. Often there are great bargains and just as often you may find you end up spending as much fo rparts and repairs as you originally spent for the machine. Best bet is to see and test it if you can. As an example, the repair folks at Aztec say that they see 3 times as many Howtek scanners that were purchased on eBay as they see units that came from equipment brokers, service bureaus, etc.

Giacomo GIRINO
29-May-2006, 00:56
Thanks all for the kind and knowledgeable answers.

Ted, thanks for bringing up the age issue of the ATL-1. I know the PhotoTherm, the Sidekick I think you mean, but I've been told it only develops film (not paper). Besides that I've never seen one in Europe. I've never heard of the Wing Lynch, I'll try a search.

Juergen, glad to hear you don't have to keep those machines running all the time: I thought so because the Jobo site says "...If you need 10-48 rolls of 35mm film (or equivalent) processed every day on average..."

Erik, Germany is sure a land of plenty for photograpy in Europe - a wealth of dark room equipment and LF gear - if I ever get to come, it'll be with a large enough van.

Ciao,

Lino