PDA

View Full Version : best 8x10 colour neg for long exposures

terry_5379
26-May-2006, 03:38
Which 8x10 colour negative film for long exposure situations.
Thanks terry

Sheldon N
26-May-2006, 07:44
You might try Fuji NPL 160, which is a tungsten film. It is supposed to be good for long exposures, though you'd need a color correction filter if you're shooting natural light. I can't find specific Fuji datasheets on reciprocity for this film, and their Pro 160S film doesn't look ideal (some reciprocity at 2 seconds, 2/3 stop if I remember correctly).

Kodak may be a better option. Their datasheet lists Portra 160NC as being stable with no color shift or reciprocity out to 10 seconds, though they do not recommend exposures longer than 100 seconds.

CXC
26-May-2006, 09:37
Portra is a good choice. I have used 120 Portra 160VC in a pinhole camera for exposures of several minutes and even hours, with good results.

Bruce Watson
26-May-2006, 10:13
Second a vote for Portra. I've used 160PortraVC out to 90 seconds with good predictable results and no color shifts (that I could detect). I just gave it a single stop over metered (I was just guessing out in the field). Excellent reciprocity behavior.

I've heard good things about Fuji 160C's reciprocity behavior, but it's very difficult to get in the USA. Fuji 160S is common, but doesn't have the same reciprocity behavior apparently. See the Fujifilm Dataguide (http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/bin/ProfessionalFilmDataGuide.pdf) section 1-6, second page for negative materials.

Kirk Gittings
26-May-2006, 11:24
What are you shooting?

I routinely shoot (like 20 to 80 negs per week) NPS and 160S at long exposures with NO filtration, in very mixed lighting situations, (including full flourescents and halogin). These are architectural shoots where color accuracy can be important. I have been doing this with various daylight color negative films for 20 years. These films shot in this way are very forgiving and correct back to nuetral very easily whether printing traditionally or scanning. NPL is not necessary and that is why I uspect Fuji is discontinuing the so called "long exposure tungsten" color negative films like NPL.

Kirk Gittings
26-May-2006, 11:32
By the way if you go to my website, to portfolios and then to New Architecture Projects, every image in that portfolio is from either NPS or 160S unfiltered and scanned

Henry Ambrose
26-May-2006, 14:21
Another vote for Fuji 160S (formerly known as NPS). As Kirk says it is quite a film. I've shot it out to minutes of exposure and many pops of flash with fine results.

Lazybones
23-Jun-2006, 13:10
My tests with Portra 160VC suggest that reciprocity failure effects are quite minimal at 30 seconds, and begin to clearly manifest at 1 minute. By 2 minutes, the film shows a clear deviation, both in density and color. A compensation in aperture may correct for the breakdown, but I have thus far not performed such a test... I'd imagine that 160NC would be relatively similar in characteristics.

This is based on an EI of 100.