PDA

View Full Version : Dry Plates

Csholl
18-Mar-2024, 16:08
Hi,

I just want to know if there is anywhere else to get dry plates other than Zebra. I tried looking it up and didn't find anything.

Alan9940
18-Mar-2024, 20:49
At the moment, Zebra Dry Plates are the only commercially available ones that I'm aware of.

Csholl
19-Mar-2024, 04:04
ok, that's what I thought.thx

peter schrager
19-Mar-2024, 07:39
I have many holders in different sizes if anyone here is looking
please send me a private message
have a nice day!!
Peter

jim_jm
19-Mar-2024, 07:44
Jason Lane (https://www.pictoriographica.com/) has been my source for dry plates for years, but relocated recently and has not resumed production.
Hopefully he'll be up and running again soon, but no recent updates to his blog.

Tin Can
19-Mar-2024, 08:09
Look what I found on Etsy:

Dry Plates

About a week

jnantz
19-Mar-2024, 08:44
Looks like zebra is the only maker these days. while you wait for your shipment to arrive
if you have clean glass, a bottle of liquid emulsion a darkroom you can coat your own it's really not as hard as you might think.

the light farm website and Denise Ross' books detail everything you will need to do to coat .. hardened sub layer ..
(water down the liquid emulsion a little, and a smidgen of photo flo .. clean glass with washing soda so water "sheets" off of it .. keep glass warm while you free pour-coat or pour coat then wait for it to dry ) if you make small ones you can stick them in your durst m301 enlarger to enlarge them too :) .. a lot of people don't realize this but besides shooting dry plates, you can print on them too .. it's just paper emulsion.. as a univ. student pre-internet, self-taught. I was coating 11x14+ to print on which was more fun than shooting , endless possibilities, like coating your own paper ..
good luck ! have fun !

Tin Can
19-Mar-2024, 11:40
Not so easy to cut glass to very close dims

Alan9940
19-Mar-2024, 12:33
Jason Lane (https://www.pictoriographica.com/) has been my source for dry plates for years, but relocated recently and has not resumed production.
Hopefully he'll be up and running again soon, but no recent updates to his blog.

Jason hasn't made any plates since mid-2022. A supply was available for a short while, but that dried up quickly. Seeing how we're now approaching two years sans J Lane plates I wouldn't be holding my breath. I truly hope Jason is doing well and that we see more of his plates...someday. I shot quite a few of his 4x5 and 8x10 plates and really liked the results.

jnantz
19-Mar-2024, 13:55

any glass shop will do that, Im buying dozens of 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 sheets at a time, weighs a ton

paulbarden
19-Mar-2024, 15:12

I've been custom cutting glass for wet plate negatives for years. It's not that difficult.

Tin Can
20-Mar-2024, 05:44
I have 180 very clean glass plates

The wrong size as no members here would advise me 9 years ago

when I asked for help

I cut the almost 5X7 down to almost 4X5

There was a vendetta on me

Very similar to the X-Ray Vendetta

When all members gave no help on Gas Burst too

I forgive but

NEVER FORGET

jnantz
20-Mar-2024, 06:20
plate sizes are always exact to the format size, the conversion septi for plate>film always takes room 1/16th +/- of an inch
cutting glass is just score and snap and sand the edge from my experience.
Xray vendetta sounds dangerous, I heard a plastic surgeon once say they've done so many tummy tucks and liposuctions they can see people naked
when they are fully clothed and have xray vision. I bought xray specs when I was a kid they didn't work.
nowadays I wear lead lined, builds up the core, helps me streak faster.

Tin Can
20-Mar-2024, 15:46
My point is nobody helped

jnantz
21-Mar-2024, 13:54
maybe folks didn’t have the answers you were looking for I don’t know if I’d call that a vendetta .. although sometimes the internet brings out the very worst of humanity…. Hope it worked out in the end!