PDA

View Full Version : Walking around Midtown neighborhood, New-York City

Naej
16-Mar-2024, 16:42
Hi all.

I may go to New-York City in about 2 weeks, and I'm thinking to bring my LF camera with me. I'll walk most of the time I'll be there.

My concern is having my equipment stolen. Is there a high risk that this may happen, as, I know, it takes a long time to install, take the picture and remove my installation?

Thank you for your help.

bdkphoto
16-Mar-2024, 17:10
Hi all.

I may go to New-York City in about 2 weeks, and I'm thinking to bring my LF camera with me. I'll walk most of the time I'll be there.

My concern is having my equipment stolen. Is there a high risk that this may happen, as, I know, it takes a long time to install, take the picture and remove my installation?

Thank you for your help.

New York is perfectly safe - setting up a tripod shouldn't be a problem unless you are getting in peoples way - You probably won't be able to set up in Times Square or Bryant Park, most everywhere else should be fine. Common sense goes a long way.

fiddle
16-Mar-2024, 18:00
New York is perfectly safe - setting up a tripod shouldn't be a problem unless you are getting in peoples way - You probably won't be able to set up in Times Square or Bryant Park, most everywhere else should be fine. Common sense goes a long way.

Agreed

Alan Klein
17-Mar-2024, 07:14
You might consider taking a smaller camera. Some indoor venues like museums, theaters, etc. might not let you in with a big camera and tripod, so you would have to check it if they have that ability or not be allowed in at all. That will limit your visits to many places. Good luck and have a great time.

Bob Kerner
17-Mar-2024, 08:21
I'm going to take a different position. NYC is not perfectly safe, particularly the subways or anywhere you might interact with the mentally ill or near one of the migrant shelters, where there has been an uptick in crime. While the situation is not quite armageddon, there is crime here particularly on the subways. It's why I'm in my den typing this and not on a subway going into the city to use the community darkroom.....and it's St Patrick' Day and a 1/2 marathon.

Be as sensible as you'd be with any camera. Keep it packed up until ready to use. Don't leave unattended. Have situational awareness: does the area look safe, no one acting bizarre, plenty of people around, no recent crime-scene tape:) ?

BTW, I've commuted into NYC on a regular basis for more than 25 years. I've never been a worry wart about safety until Covid when something changed in the city. Part of it is that criminals are emboldened because wearing a mask is not unusual, the police are demoralized and our bail laws are unreasonably lenient.

Having said that, here's a shot a few months ago from underneath one of the city's many bridges. There are many fine things to photograph

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53421638982_80db16864d_k.jpg

jnantz
17-Mar-2024, 08:35
Hi all.

Thank you for your help.

sounds like a blast ! do you have someone going with you to run interference and hand out your business card to excited Lookie Lous ?
Calling cards to your IG feed or website might generate sales and pay for your film and travel :)

BrianShaw
17-Mar-2024, 08:54
The first and last time I was in NYC, Manhattan near Penn Station, the sidewalks (etc) were so crowded that even handheld photography was challenging. I can't imagine trying to set up a tripod.

Oren Grad
17-Mar-2024, 09:10
Naej: what specific areas do you have in mind when you say "midtown"?

jnantz
17-Mar-2024, 09:12
The first and last time I was in NYC, Manhattan near Penn Station, the sidewalks (etc) were so crowded that even handheld photography was challenging. I can't imagine trying to set up a tripod.

maybe the OP has a Press Camera, one of those Bostick and Sullivan Hobo's, a home-made hyper-focal rig, a Lippmann / Alpenhaus / Razzle Polaroid-conversion, box camera, magazine/falling plate (like a cyclone #5) or Graflex SLR, can just use a monopod to point and shoot.

bmikiten
17-Mar-2024, 09:14
I was just there and used a Hasselblad X2D. I thought about my Rollie 6006 or even my 6x17 but there were enough people wandering around without watching where they were going last time that I opted for something quick and was happy with it. Going out in off hours (after the commute is calmed down) was part of the trick. No fear at all about anything being stolen. The Hi-line is a great option as the people there are a bit more calm. The subways were super clean so going to the zoo is a nice option as well although I don't know what is blooming right now. Bagels and pizza. Enjoy.

Naej
17-Mar-2024, 12:06
sounds like a blast ! do you have someone going with you to run interference and hand out your business card to excited Lookie Lous ?
Calling cards to your IG feed or website might generate sales and pay for your film and travel :)

I'm travelling alone actually. And as I don't have a IG feed nor a website, this trip will be paid by the salary I receive from my current job (sales representative in a grain handling equipment manufacturer).

As I'll be walking around Penn Station and the Empire state building, I might go with a 35mm then...

maybe the OP has a Press Camera, one of those Bostick and Sullivan Hobo's, a home-made hyper-focal rig, a Lippmann / Alpenhaus / Razzle Polaroid-conversion, box camera, magazine/falling plate (like a cyclone #5) or Graflex SLR, can just use a monopod to point and shoot.

Actually I have a Meridian 45B (aka the "American Technika"). And I'm more comfortable using a tripod than going handheld.

I'm one of those guy who take hours before taking the picture...

bdkphoto
17-Mar-2024, 16:11
I'm travelling alone actually. And as I don't have a IG feed nor a website, this trip will be paid by the salary I receive from my current job (sales representative in a grain handling equipment manufacturer).

As I'll be walking around Penn Station and the Empire state building, I might go with a 35mm then...

Actually I have a Meridian 45B (aka the "American Technika"). And I'm more comfortable using a tripod than going handheld.

I'll offer up a little advice - from someone who has lived here (manhattan) for almost 30 years- and I make my living photographing the city. Just finished this book -https://www.brucekatzphoto.com/gallery.html?gallery=Sky-High%3a+Supertalls+of+NYC&folio=Portfolios&vimeoUserID=&vimeoAlbumID=#/0

And this-https://www.brucekatzphoto.com/gallery.html?gallery=New+York&folio=Portfolios&vimeoUserID=&vimeoAlbumID=#/0

The city is safe, (including the subways) but is best seen by walking. If it's your first visit I would not want to shoot 4x5 - simply because of the schlep. I would work as light and flexible as possible. You are going to want to shoot a lot. Working with a tripod on the streets is not a problem - except in a few areas - but they are not allowed on the observation decks of Empire State, Top of the Rock, or the Edge, or in museums.

What are you interested in photographing - the buildings, people, skyline - specific places? Happy to give you some ideas on where to go, especially if your time is limited.

Pieter
17-Mar-2024, 16:55
I'll offer up a little advice - from someone who has lived here (manhattan) for almost 30 years- and I make my living photographing the city. Just finished this book -https://www.brucekatzphoto.com/gallery.html?gallery=Sky-High%3a+Supertalls+of+NYC&folio=Portfolios&vimeoUserID=&vimeoAlbumID=#/0

And this-https://www.brucekatzphoto.com/gallery.html?gallery=New+York&folio=Portfolios&vimeoUserID=&vimeoAlbumID=#/0

The city is safe, (including the subways) but is best seen by walking. If it's your first visit I would not want to shoot 4x5 - simply because of the schlep. I would work as light and flexible as possible. You are going to want to shoot a lot. Working with a tripod on the streets is not a problem - except in a few areas - but they are not allowed on the observation decks of Empire State, Top of the Rock, or the Edge, or in museums.

What are you interested in photographing - the buildings, people, skyline - specific places? Happy to give you some ideas on where to go, especially if your time is limited.
How refreshing to see excellent professional work on this site. Thank you from a former art director.

bdkphoto
17-Mar-2024, 17:22
How refreshing to see excellent professional work on this site. Thank you from a former art director.

Thanks Pieter, I really appreciate it - especially coming from one of the few voices of reason and knowledge here ;-)

jnantz
18-Mar-2024, 04:39

sounds like a fun trip.

Alan Klein
18-Mar-2024, 07:34

Wonderful photography, Bruce. OK, I'm prejudiced for the BW version, especially the old buildings.

Naej
23-Mar-2024, 13:20
Well... I had to cancel my trip: too much work to do...

Maybe later?

Thanks for your help.

And, Bruce: Beautiful pictures!

popdoc
23-Mar-2024, 17:47
Big ditto to Ok to shoot large or media format anywhere in NYC. Obvious exceptions as above.
Doing for years.
Have a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk