PDA

View Full Version : Black Spots on Scanned 4x5 Negatives. Arista Ultra EDU 100 ISO

RmFrase
13-Mar-2024, 14:17
I've been using Arista EDU for years. Recently, I've come across an issue where (when scanned on my Epson V700 Scanner) one side of each negative is covered in these black spots.
My process for development is unchanged as well as my chemicals used. I use a fresh batch of Kodak D-76 for each Development Tank used. I only develop up to (6) negatives at one time.

Pre-Wash with Distilled Water for about 2-3 minutes
Kodak D-76 at 68 degrees F (20C) for 9 minutes
Kodak Stop Bath (15ml per 1 Liter Distilled Water)
Zone VI Print and Film Fixer
Kodak PhotoFlo before hanging to dry.

RmFrase
13-Mar-2024, 14:24
Here's a 2nd scanned image that shows the black spots - and if you notice, they're only on (1/2) of the image.

Kino
13-Mar-2024, 18:27
I assume you can physically see this on the negative, right?

And, when you say "fresh batch" of D76, how long before you mix it do you use it?

Prepackaged D76 or scratch mixed?

Looks like undissolved crystals of developer, but for it to only be on one side... strange.

What tank do you use?

Maris Rusis
13-Mar-2024, 20:41
I see black spots on the positive which means white spots on the negative.

White spots on the negative might be pinhole defects in the emulsion due to bad coating at the factory.

Dust on the negative at the time of exposure will shade tiny areas of emulsion. Hence white spots after development.
Bubbles clinging to the film during development will block developer access to the emulsion and come out as white spots often surrounded by a darkened ring.
Some other contamination of the emulsion surface of the film derived from packaging or handling?

I'd sacrifice a new sheet from this batch of film and give it ordinary development after a light fogging exposure. If its got spots after never being loaded into a film holder or camera it could be a factory problem.

paulbarden
14-Mar-2024, 06:37
This is either pinholes from air bells, or a manufacturing defect. When you presoak, do you agitate or not?

RmFrase
14-Mar-2024, 07:35
The spots are not fully visible until I scan the image.
Regarding the fresh batch, I typically mix and use the same day but not immediately. For a 1:1 mixture, I weigh out 55 grams powder to 1/2 liter distilled water at 125-130°F. After visually noticing that the solution has fully dissolved, I mixed in the remaining half liter of distilled water.
The solution is then placed in refrigeration until needed.
I'm using the packaged D-76 powder from Kodak.
I have been following the same process for roughly 10 to 12 years. It is with this recently purchased Arista film that I noticed the spots on the film.

RmFrase
14-Mar-2024, 07:37
This is either pinholes from air bells, or a manufacturing defect. When you presoak, do you agitate or not?

Yes, I agitate. I also tap onto the counter top during the entire process of presoak, development, stop bath, fixer.

paulbarden
14-Mar-2024, 08:19
Yes, I agitate. I also tap onto the counter top during the entire process of presoak, development, stop bath, fixer.

Then this is a manufacturing defect, I'm betting. I once tried Arista EDU in 120 format years ago, and the entire roll was marred by clear spots and streaks throughout, so I swore off that film forever. I recommend investing in a higher quality film.

Tin Can
14-Mar-2024, 08:33
Even Mother KODAK has sold bad film

Pissed me off

and I got no

Satisfaction

Kino
14-Mar-2024, 10:55
I'd sacrifice a new sheet from this batch of film and give it ordinary development after a light fogging exposure. If its got spots after never being loaded into a film holder or camera it could be a factory problem.

I concur with the above; seems you might have got a cutting too close to the head or tail of the master roll (just a guess).

Depending upon where you purchased it, they should be willing to exchange it for good stock. I have always had good luck with all the major sellers if you can present a convincing case it is a defect.

RmFrase
14-Mar-2024, 13:34
Well, going forward I'll be sure to expose some 'test exposures' going forward to ensure that any film I purchase is good. I had heard of this practice before, but until now, had never needed to.
Clearly, that has all changed. And considering I drove from Texas to Canyonlands in Utah, then to Big Bend National Park, a vast majority of the film was crap.

Lesson learned the hard way.

Kino
14-Mar-2024, 14:38
Oh, that's gotta be disappointing!

Camped at Tally Point about 20 years ago and the scenery driving to that point was amazing. You could spend the rest of your life in the Big Bend Park and never run out of subject matter...